Switching to ART improves performance?

Search This thread

fullyflaredfred

Dec 24, 2010
I find art to be much smoother in all honesty. Rooted with exposed was fun, but I immediately missed art. Like people have said the differences are probably minimal, but I noticed little lags here and there that are now gone with art. Placebo? Maybe, but it seems real buttery to me.

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Free mobile app

ScrapMaker

Jan 23, 2008
This could probably be attributed to the G3 having a much higher resolution display while having identical hardware specifications to the S5. So no matter if you're running DALVIK or ART, this will probably always be the case.

I found an interesting video where someone compares gta san andreas on these 2 devices and it seems the G3 runs it better than the S5. Here's the video:

That's exactly why it's slower...

I find art to be much smoother in all honesty. Rooted with exposed was fun, but I immediately missed art. Like people have said the differences are probably minimal, but I noticed little lags here and there that are now gone with art. Placebo? Maybe, but it seems real buttery to me.

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Free mobile app

I saw no improvement, personally, but I'm too lazy to swap it back.

Skizzy034

Mar 10, 2010
Amsterdam, NY
www.facebook.com
Ok so I'm probably gonna speak too soon and jinx myself again but I just switched to ART today and the phone seems to run much cooler. I haven't really noticed a performance increase, although the keyboard does seem to type a little snappier.

Sent from my LG-D851 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

AromaticARt

Oct 23, 2012
Warsaw
two weeks on dalvik, there was some lags (especially when entered app drawer, everybody knows that). After changing to ART i can't se big difference. I would say its SLIGHTLY better, im comparing this app drawrer and overall performance. Cant say anything about battery yet, first day of testing. No other problems. And im definitly sure that this slight improvement is not placebo, but its really small....

sykozylot

Apr 22, 2010
i found ART to bit a bit smoother, but it also froze the phone every other day or so. No freezed with Dalvik, so going to stay there until Android L.

Skizzy034

Mar 10, 2010
Amsterdam, NY
www.facebook.com
Well today I had the first freeze after switching to ART. It's the second phone to do this so I don't think it's a hardware issue, although the two ATT G3's I had didn't freeze. I never tried ART on them tho.

Sent from my LG-D851 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

transfo47

Feb 18, 2013
Just maybe a little faster. Can't speak on battery yet, but I predict L will do wonders for this phone, even with QuadHD.

@home

Feb 16, 2009
Had my G3 for a few days now & so I have tried both Dalvik & ART.

I've found my G3 ever so slightly smoother & quicker on Dalvik using standard Launcher.

hbkekko

Jun 29, 2013
Caserta (Italy)
i think that with art is much more smoother...no lags in drawer, absolutely great.
one problem, does anyone noticed a problem with swiftkey keyboard soundclicks in art? the sound of clicks are distorted ...

stas333

Feb 2, 2008
started getting random freezing while on ART in the past few days. Switching to DALVIk to see if it solves it.

ScrapMaker

Jan 23, 2008
I had to disable ART because the latest (7/31/14 beta) Facebook app no longer works. I had a few other regular crashes as well. Swapping back to Dalvik has fixed almost every problem I was having with my phone.

Though I am thinking that I should wipe the phone now. There are some niggles that were not there before enabling ART, so I am thinking it leaves some stuff that needs to be cleaned up.

suljo94

Nov 25, 2013
Antwerpen
when i switch to art and after the reboot, my phone is still back at dalvik?
if you have xposed installed first uninstall it
started getting random freezing while on ART in the past few days. Switching to DALVIk to see if it solves it.
had no freezes try the leaked 10j it should work better
I had to disable ART because the latest (7/31/14 beta) Facebook app no longer works. I had a few other regular crashes as well. Swapping back to Dalvik has fixed almost every problem I was having with my phone.

Though I am thinking that I should wipe the phone now. There are some niggles that were not there before enabling ART, so I am thinking it leaves some stuff that needs to be cleaned up.
had no freezes try the leaked 10j it should work better

Reactions: mccmjoon76

2dorr

Jan 15, 2007
Bucharest
Anyone knows what app except Titanium backup, can backup all apps on ART? I tried to make backup even with LG PC Suite and I got errors on ART. It's strange that G3 do not restore my apps from Play Store by itself so I need an app to restore them. I tried Helium, My Backup Pro and no one was restoring all the apps. Thanks

Last edited:

Deagles

Aug 9, 2014
That's interesting i can't switch the Art it changing back to the dalvik.

Editt: I successfully switch the Art after uninstalled the xposed framework.

Last edited:
Reactions: mccmjoon76

mccmjoon76

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2009
Yup u need uninstalled the xposed framework (if u have install) than u can Change Art with no problem ..

After change to ART .. the phone is butter smooth and fast !

~ Opened Gallery
~ Taking photo
~ Open 3 party apps

need more testing ..

But I miss xposed :( cuz im still in 10j stock build :)

Last edited:

ScrapMaker

Jan 23, 2008
Yup u need uninstalled the xposed framework (if u have install) than u can Change Art with no problem ..

After change to ART .. the phone is butter smooth and fast !

~ Opened Gallery
~ Taking photo
~ Open 3 party apps

need more testing ..

But I miss xposed :( cuz im still in 10j stock build :)

Does Xposed not work at all with ART? If so, I don't think the performance increase is worth it. Most of the speed increases I saw were from tinkering in the hidden menu settings.

Top Liked Posts