XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Forced Close when trying to edit a Contact

Tip us?

Indurus
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Default Forced Close when trying to edit a Contact

When I chose a contact in the dialer and tap on the edit button, the app crashes. Does anyone else have suffer from this problem?
The Following User Says Thank You to Indurus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Lennyuk
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1,434

DONATE TO ME
All working perfectly here.
I am some sort of dev and a writer for LandofDroid. I am also a member of HTC Elevate. Was a member of the now defunct "Team Villain" aka VillainRom.

Guide to Unroot LG G3 for OTA
Chromecast System UI Crash Fix

http://forum.xda-developers.com/signaturepics/sigpic2315688_1.gif

Device info:

Current: LG G3, Google LG Nexus 5, Chromecast, Acer C720 Chromebook
Retired: HTC One, Google LG Nexus 4, Google Asus Nexus 7 Samsung Galaxy Note II Samsung Galaxy S III, Advent Vega (Tablet), Samsung Galaxy S II, Samsung Galaxy S, HTC Desire Z, HTC Desire HD, HTC Desire, HTC Hero

www.lennyuk.co.uk
Twitter | Google+
Like what I do? help me have a coffee<----- This is a link

Indurus
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennyuk View Post
All working perfectly here.
There is not a problem with every contact, some do work, but some cause a forced close!

Lennyuk
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1,434

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indurus View Post
There is not a problem with every contact, some do work, but some cause a forced close!
Is there any differences between the contacts e.g. were they all Google contacts, or were they added manually on the phone or sim card etc?
I am some sort of dev and a writer for LandofDroid. I am also a member of HTC Elevate. Was a member of the now defunct "Team Villain" aka VillainRom.

Guide to Unroot LG G3 for OTA
Chromecast System UI Crash Fix

http://forum.xda-developers.com/signaturepics/sigpic2315688_1.gif

Device info:

Current: LG G3, Google LG Nexus 5, Chromecast, Acer C720 Chromebook
Retired: HTC One, Google LG Nexus 4, Google Asus Nexus 7 Samsung Galaxy Note II Samsung Galaxy S III, Advent Vega (Tablet), Samsung Galaxy S II, Samsung Galaxy S, HTC Desire Z, HTC Desire HD, HTC Desire, HTC Hero

www.lennyuk.co.uk
Twitter | Google+
Like what I do? help me have a coffee<----- This is a link

OutCold44
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have got the exact same problem. All contacts are from my google account but not all force close when I try to edit, just the ones I want to edit

Indurus
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
There is obviously no pattern to be detected...som google contacts dont work and some non google contacts as well, and some work though

crasher
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Default only those contacts with events

My G3 contacts app force closes too. I figured out that it is due to the events (Birthdays, Anniversary) in the contact. You can view the contact just fine, but once you edit it, the app force closes. You can also create a new contact and try to add a new event, the app will force close.

However, I find this problem a little odd. The app only started to force close after I had done a factory reset to fix my wifi problems. Prior to the factory reset, I was able to edit some contacts with events.

I hope that I'm wrong, and there is a way to fix this problem quickly. I'm not sure LG is good at fixing stuff.

crasher
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by crasher View Post
My G3 contacts app force closes too. I figured out that it is due to the events (Birthdays, Anniversary) in the contact. You can view the contact just fine, but once you edit it, the app force closes. You can also create a new contact and try to add a new event, the app will force close.

However, I find this problem a little odd. The app only started to force close after I had done a factory reset to fix my wifi problems. Prior to the factory reset, I was able to edit some contacts with events.

I hope that I'm wrong, and there is a way to fix this problem quickly. I'm not sure LG is good at fixing stuff.
I found what had caused my problem. G3's contact app has a custom entry to enter events into a "phone" calendar by default. I had prevented the "phone" calendar from showing in my calendar app. This is what caused the contact app to force close. I just have to set the "phone" calendar to visible and there is no more force closes.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to crasher For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Indurus
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Thank You, crasher! You solved the problem!

OutCold44
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by crasher View Post
I found what had caused my problem. G3's contact app has a custom entry to enter events into a "phone" calendar by default. I had prevented the "phone" calendar from showing in my calendar app. This is what caused the contact app to force close. I just have to set the "phone" calendar to visible and there is no more force closes.
You are a star! This fixed it for me. And was it an annoying bug - I had to edit everything on my PC. Thanks so much!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk 2