Mozilla Ditches Google, Makes Yahoo Default Search Engine

Mozilla and Google have had a long-standing relationship of about 10 years. Google … more

Learn More About Linux with Linux Man Pages

Linux is quite a powerful and very configurable operating system. Thanks to some user-friendly … more

Detect, Avoid IMSI-Catcher Attacks with Android IMSI-Catcher Detector

Privacy is always an important topic, as well as a delicate one to … more

Materialized LeanDroid Fights Your Poor Battery Life

Battery life has always been one of the biggest problems facing most Android devices. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Uk OTA UPDATE

OP bdt1978

22nd July 2014, 01:16 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 14

75 posts
hi guys

I downloaded the update but it wont install as im rooted. Does anyone know what the update was for and what it improves?

Also does anyone known if you can circumvent the root issue or is it a case of unrooting and installing
22nd July 2014, 01:25 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1,596

5,329 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdt1978

hi guys

I downloaded the update but it wont install as im rooted. Does anyone know what the update was for and what it improves?

Also does anyone known if you can circumvent the root issue or is it a case of unrooting and installing

It's for battery improvement that's about it and yes you have to unroot not really worth it for that there's meant to be a big update soon i would wait
22nd July 2014, 07:04 PM   |  #3  
Flag Liverpool
Thanks Meter: 4

32 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaythenut

It's for battery improvement that's about it and yes you have to unroot not really worth it for that there's meant to be a big update soon i would wait

Oh really? Cool. Any source?
22nd July 2014, 08:28 PM   |  #4  
Flag Middle of nowhere
Thanks Meter: 379

1,645 posts
Donate to Me
More
The real question is will it block root (the big update). Any update that removes root isn't worth it.

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
4th August 2014, 02:35 PM   |  #5  

17 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilz

The real question is will it block root (the big update). Any update that removes root isn't worth it.

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

If you haven't updated think twice. here is my experience.

After the update my screen no longer goes to full brightness, the indicators and icons still say 100% however the screen has gone from 255 to 238 brightness at full. I think this is one of the ways they increased battery life

Note Lux and other brightness settings have not corrected the problem permanently.
4th August 2014, 03:07 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Developer
Flag Essex, England
Thanks Meter: 1,639

6,058 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0hn78

If you haven't updated think twice. here is my experience.

After the update my screen no longer goes to full brightness, the indicators and icons still say 100% however the screen has gone from 255 to 238 brightness at full. I think this is one of the ways they increased battery life

Note Lux and other brightness settings have not corrected the problem permanently.

They have increased battery life by having much better thermal controls i.e. the phone doesn't get as hot, one of the ways to keep the phone cool (and therefore indirectly increasing battery life) is to lower the brightness.

Keeping the phone cool was their main aim here, not to increase battery life.
4th August 2014, 03:20 PM   |  #7  

17 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennyuk

They have increased battery life by having much better thermal controls i.e. the phone doesn't get as hot, one of the ways to keep the phone cool (and therefore indirectly increasing battery life) is to lower the brightness.

Keeping the phone cool was their main aim here, not to increase battery life.

Regardless of the reason my phone was perfect before this change and I had no heat issues or battery problems all was great, if you want to change options like this having an extra setting in the power menu would have been the way to go in my personal opinion.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread