Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more

Gmail 5.0: Material Design and Multiple Account Support

Google started to materialize many of its applications right after announcing the … more

Some of Our Favorite Features in Android 5.0 Lollipop

Android 5.0 Lollipop is the latest major revision to Google’s mobile operating … more

Sony SmartEyeglass SDK Developer Preview Released

A little over a month ago in Tokyo, Japan, Sony unveiled its new SmartEyeglasstechnology. … more

Using data and voice simultaneously?

OP stas333

21st July 2014, 05:48 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 207

785 posts
I just noticed that my data shuts off when I make a call. That wasn't the case with my galaxy phone. Is there an option or something that can enable me to use both voice and data at the same time?
21st July 2014, 06:08 PM   |  #2  
Flag Wallingford, CT
Thanks Meter: 10

175 posts
More
I've had this happen with my last several phones. I would love to know how to fix it. My HTC One X, One M7, and Moto X all do this, along with my G3.
22nd July 2014, 06:30 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

785 posts
bump
22nd July 2014, 06:33 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 82

572 posts
More
It depends on your carrier.
22nd July 2014, 06:44 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

785 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamR

It depends on your carrier.

does it really? i am still with sprint where i was able to do this on gs3
16th October 2014, 08:46 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
More
anyone figure this out? I had my GS3 on sprint and used data all the time while on conference calls on LTE or 3g. Now when I'm in a call, any app that requires internet gives me a no connection error. I don't know if it has to do with the new Spark network, but i spend a lot of time on calls and find it aggravating I can't send emails or access the internet simultaneously.
16th October 2014, 10:57 PM   |  #7  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 293

1,733 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stas333

does it really? i am still with sprint where i was able to do this on gs3

The Galaxy S3 on Sprint was one of the last phones to do simultaneous voice and data while on 3G, aka SVDO. From then onwards Sprint started building out their Spark LTE network (NOW Network) and hence tri-band (800/1900/2600) LTE phones, which could no longer do simultaneous voice and data even when on LTE (e.g Nexus 5, LG G2 etc onwards). Ofcourse if you're connected to a WiFi network, you can talk and be online at the same time.

So that feature is gone on Sprint until they implement the next phase, VoLTE (Voice over LTE), which means voice will be carried over the all data LTE network.

Hope this helps.

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanBword

anyone figure this out? I had my GS3 on sprint and used data all the time while on conference calls on LTE or 3g. Now when I'm in a call, any app that requires internet gives me a no connection error. I don't know if it has to do with the new Spark network, but i spend a lot of time on calls and find it aggravating I can't send emails or access the internet simultaneously.

That feature went away when Spark phones debuted. I used to have a Galaxy S3 back then and even though i didn't have that many times where i needed to be online and talking at the same time, the few times i needed to it was really nice.
Spark phones only have one "path" which handles both voice and data, saves on battery life and data etc, that's the reasoning.

This article from back then should shed some more light. Very good read... http://s4gru.com/index.php?%2Fblog%2...-technology%2F

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread