Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,465 Members 37,109 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Problems connecting and saving WiFi passwords?

Tip us?

zgroten
Old
(Last edited by zgroten; 20th August 2014 at 08:34 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 87
Default Problems connecting and saving WiFi passwords?

My brand new G3 won't let me save any WiFi network passwords. It also says "failed to connect " for every network and has me 're enter the paraphrase every time.

Even though this happens it will connect to some networks. But in the WiFi status screen where you choose your network, it doesn't show me as connected.

Anyone else having similar issues?

EDIT: FIX FOUND:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeYute View Post
I looked at the wifi configurations in /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicants.conf

I found that the network I couldn't connect to was stored in there, but with the wrong password. I edited the file with the correct password, and all is good now!
I followed his advice and just deleted every saved network in this file then rebooted. Everything connected, saved, and works perfectly now.

Sent from my LGLS990 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jaythenut
Old
Thanks Meter 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgroten View Post
My brand new G3 won't let me save any WiFi network passwords. It also says "failed to connect " for every network and has me 're enter the paraphrase every time.

Even though this happens it will connect to some networks. But in the WiFi status screen where you choose your network, it doesn't show me as connected.

Anyone else having similar issues?

Sent from my LGLS990 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Have you tried to restart the router that might help I'm not having that problem or maybe a factory reset

RudeYute
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I have just tried to connect to another network and have the same problem - works fine at my place, but not my parents' place. Problem is definitely phone related not network related.

krisbi
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeYute View Post
I have just tried to connect to another network and have the same problem - works fine at my place, but not my parents' place. Problem is definitely phone related not network related.

Try to change router's password encryption protocol

zgroten
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 87
I am having the same issue. It fails to connect or save the password, but it connects. So weird.

RudeYute
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisbi View Post
Try to change router's password encryption protocol
I have tried that already - tried WPA2 TKIP and AES. Don't really want to lower my security any further.

Fortunately I'm not here very often, and I get 4G data with my 8GB allowance, so can always use mobile data.

jhericurls
Old
Thanks Meter 296
Did you remove or freeze any of the LG bloatware? Stuff like Wfd services control the Wi-FI.

I also had this problem and I had to do a factory reset to fix it.
Smoking weed is illegal, but so are most of the apps on my phone.

jerflash
Old
Thanks Meter 51
I'm having the same issue. it will connect to the open networks but wont save them. have no problem connecting to wifi that is protected though. I did freeze some apps...not sure which one did it though. probably one of the carrier iq ones if its my luck. i have the tmobile model

jerflash
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Just did a reset. First I did not let Google restore all the passwords and everything was connecting fine. Then I did another reset where I did let Google restore and it had the problem again. It is something to do with how Google is restoring the account.... ****ing LG messed something up

cobaltthorium_g
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerflash View Post
Just did a reset. First I did not let Google restore all the passwords and everything was connecting fine. Then I did another reset where I did let Google restore and it had the problem again. It is something to do with how Google is restoring the account.... ****ing LG messed something up
Hey, I had the same issue 2 days ago. My solution was to delete the wifi config files folder (root needed, of cause). The path is /data/etc/wifi. Before you do that you may want to turn off wifi. After a reboot everything worked fine