Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,239 Members 49,134 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Verizon LG G3 Screen Sharpening issue

Tip us?

lightsp33d
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Verizon LG G3 Screen Sharpening issue

Hey there guys.

I picked my Verizion LG G3 a couple days ago. Overall I really like the phone. Love the camera, the design, screen size, ect.

There is however one thing that is driving me NUTS... The effing screen. The one main selling point of the phone seems to be its main downfall. Yes, the Quad HD resolution looks sharp sometimes. There is very aggressive screen sharpening going on with the display though. It is especially noticible in Black test with "off white" backgrounds. Its easy to notice in the Play Store looking at the text and then pulling down the notification shade slightly. That darkens the background a little and brings out the sharpening a whole lot.

I know this issue has been touched on before in other posts, but I've yet to find some particular information...

I've yet to see if anyone has noticed weather this is something affecting ALL G3 models... Because i have seen posts where people are claiming to not see this effect at all.. and then others that do. I'm curious if there is some correlation between the types of G3's that seem to be affected by this, or if it is just on all G3's and people that cant see it just have bad vision to begin with.

Also, has anyone been able to get any sort of response to LG about this yet? I've emailed them, live chatted, and phoned them with no luck. The live chat rep was the most useful and told me that he would try to get the information as far up the ladder as he could and would reach out to me when he hears back.

This is so frustrating to me. It's like buying a brand new Ferrari and having a big scratch on the door. The phone is so great, but this text sharpening is making me really dislike reading on the device, and just looking at the screen in general. I know others have already returned their devices because of this, but i'm really hoping LG would be able to come out with some sort of software update to be able to turn it off. Thats the shred of hope i'm holding on to at this point.

Does anyone have any further information about this yet?

EpicChineseTime
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsp33d View Post
Hey there guys.

I picked my Verizion LG G3 a couple days ago. Overall I really like the phone. Love the camera, the design, screen size, ect.

There is however one thing that is driving me NUTS... The effing screen. The one main selling point of the phone seems to be its main downfall. Yes, the Quad HD resolution looks sharp sometimes. There is very aggressive screen sharpening going on with the display though. It is especially noticible in Black test with "off white" backgrounds. Its easy to notice in the Play Store looking at the text and then pulling down the notification shade slightly. That darkens the background a little and brings out the sharpening a whole lot.

I know this issue has been touched on before in other posts, but I've yet to find some particular information...

I've yet to see if anyone has noticed weather this is something affecting ALL G3 models... Because i have seen posts where people are claiming to not see this effect at all.. and then others that do. I'm curious if there is some correlation between the types of G3's that seem to be affected by this, or if it is just on all G3's and people that cant see it just have bad vision to begin with.

Also, has anyone been able to get any sort of response to LG about this yet? I've emailed them, live chatted, and phoned them with no luck. The live chat rep was the most useful and told me that he would try to get the information as far up the ladder as he could and would reach out to me when he hears back.

This is so frustrating to me. It's like buying a brand new Ferrari and having a big scratch on the door. The phone is so great, but this text sharpening is making me really dislike reading on the device, and just looking at the screen in general. I know others have already returned their devices because of this, but i'm really hoping LG would be able to come out with some sort of software update to be able to turn it off. Thats the shred of hope i'm holding on to at this point.

Does anyone have any further information about this yet?
Same issue, when first i got this phone i was like "QuadHD, why the text does look crappier than my Nexus 5?"...
Insane.

Sent from from my LG-D855
My Devices: LG G3 D855 - Google Nexus 5 D821

lightsp33d
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Yeah. It's quite irritating. You gonna return it? Or just live with it?

Sent from my VS985 4G

objektive_1
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I just got the D850(at&t) version and it has that strange sharpness also.

jaythenut
Old
Thanks Meter 1449
ok guys try this go to settings then accessibility then colour adjustment turn on then press again and put the and put your finger just top of the camera

just like in pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-16 10.16.32.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	2863649  
The Following User Says Thank You to jaythenut For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jaythenut
Old
Thanks Meter 1449
Quote:
Yeah. It's quite irritating. You gonna return it? Or just live with it?

Sent from my VS985 4G
have a look at what i posted

lightsp33d
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Yes I knew about that already. It gives better contrast and colors but that doesn't really help the problem. It's like spraying perfume on a pile of dog $hit.

Sent from my VS985 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

objektive_1
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaythenut View Post
have a look at what i posted
Still looks awful. lol

lightsp33d
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Yeah. It's more of a placebo effect if anything... But hasn't anyone here complained about it to LG yet? They're only gonna do something about it if enough people show dissatisfaction

objektive_1
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Yeah. It's more of a placebo effect if anything... But hasn't anyone here complained about it to LG yet? They're only gonna do something about it if enough people show dissatisfaction

PREACH! It only happens on some items. Its like things are compressed oddly. Anyone know if its software or a screen thing?