Android 5.0 Favorite Features, Release November 3rd? – XDA TV

Google Confirms Android 5.0 Lollipop for November 3rd! That and much more … more

Prepare Your Build Machines: Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn Now Official

Today is an important day for any and all Linux enthusiasts. One of the … more

Track the Time You Waste on Social Media with Socials Addict

When you use your phone, you often don’t even realize how much time you … more

Document the Story of Your Social Life with 8tory

The different forms of social media are growing every day. It’s hard to imagine a day … more

To root or not to root?

OP Experiences

10th September 2014, 12:42 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bursa
Thanks Meter: 13

188 posts
More
So I got my phone today and rooted it directly. When I was browsing through the apps, I saw it has an update but it didn't let me install it because the phone was rooted. So, I had to go back to stock rom with a kdz file wiping everything, which seems to be the latest rom right now. I'm thinking about if i should root or not right now. Will I have to wipe everything again when the phone gets another update? Are you all in this situation or do i not know something correctly?
10th September 2014, 08:32 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 43

1,261 posts
Some how I was able to install latest ota with root and also nothing was wiped.

Im not 100% sure but I think you can unroot with SuperSU then ota should go through but I may be wrong.
10th September 2014, 09:30 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 9

83 posts
If you want to use apps like g3 tweaksbox, titanium backup etc, you will need root! I think you can do so much more when your Phone is rooted, so i would root it immediately!
10th September 2014, 12:48 PM   |  #4  
Flag Middle of nowhere
Thanks Meter: 271

1,125 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by homer285

Some how I was able to install latest ota with root and also nothing was wiped.

Im not 100% sure but I think you can unroot with SuperSU then ota should go through but I may be wrong.

I also took an OTA for my F460S while rooted and it worked. My phone also is fine (it didn't die, crash or kill itself). When I get my next OTA I'll upload a video to show that it does work for some odd reason (only for a few people that I have seen). The benefits of rooting outweigh the drawbacks. If you root your phone, than you should be comfortable flashing a KDZ to restore it.
10th September 2014, 02:44 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 81

428 posts
OTA updates often modify existing pre-installed apps, otherwise known as bloatware, so they check to be sure those targets are present and unmodified. If you have rooted but not deleted or removed or frozen any such apps, your system will pass that OTA test.
Some OTA's also look for su being installed, and hiding su can fool that, depending...
Sometimes the OTA is just mean altogether, for your protection.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread