Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,239 Members 49,321 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

An app to turn off the screen WITHOUT locking.

Tip us?

latino147
Old
Thanks Meter 156
Not sure it it covers your needs, but I'm using SkipLock combined with Gravity Screen

SkipLock let's you bypass the lockscreen (and pincode) when your phone is connected to either a trusted WIFI network or a trusted BT-device (carkit!).
As soon as you get home you'll turn on your screen and you the lockscreen as usual, but from that point on it's lockscreen free until it disconnects with your wifi network.

So when you turn off the screen the screen goes black, but as soon as you turn it on again you'll see either the homescreen or your last opened app.
It works really GREAT!

Gravity screen is not needed but makes it even easier. It automatically turns your screen on when you pick up the phone, and turns it off when you place it down (configurable). It also features Pocket Mode so it will turn the screen off when you put it in your pocket and on again when you take it out. Worst part was getting used to NOT press the power-button anymore

umar_akhtar786
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_singh View Post
Take this.
Note: Needs Root
Hi, Thanks for the suggestion - i just tried the app and it has a non-root version, but that just basically turns the screen black, leaves the notification bar and navi buttons and doesnt actuall replicate pressing the power button.

I cant root my phone either as i need to use banking apps and these dont work with root.

Any other ideas?

umar_akhtar786
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by latino147 View Post
Not sure it it covers your needs, but I'm using SkipLock combined with Gravity Screen

SkipLock let's you bypass the lockscreen (and pincode) when your phone is connected to either a trusted WIFI network or a trusted BT-device (carkit!).
As soon as you get home you'll turn on your screen and you the lockscreen as usual, but from that point on it's lockscreen free until it disconnects with your wifi network.

So when you turn off the screen the screen goes black, but as soon as you turn it on again you'll see either the homescreen or your last opened app.
It works really GREAT!

Gravity screen is not needed but makes it even easier. It automatically turns your screen on when you pick up the phone, and turns it off when you place it down (configurable). It also features Pocket Mode so it will turn the screen off when you put it in your pocket and on again when you take it out. Worst part was getting used to NOT press the power-button anymore
This sounds like a cool set of apps, but I'm quite pedantic about my phone and the way it uses battery and with all the sensors working. I'm not sure its right for me, but its cool none-the-less.

latino147
Old
Thanks Meter 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by umar_akhtar786 View Post
This sounds like a cool set of apps, but I'm quite pedantic about my phone and the way it uses battery and with all the sensors working. I'm not sure its right for me, but its cool none-the-less.
Skiplock doesn't use up any battery. Gravity MIGHT, but there are options to choose that use up more or less battery.

Don't know about needing root though...