49.99 on T mobile

Search This thread

LupineDream

Sep 6, 2010
Kersey
Bought it. Have it now. Didn't know you couldn't root e firmware, so kdz flashed back to c, ran towelroot, checked the bootloader unlock just to make sure, about to do recovery. Thanks for the info!

bassic

Jul 13, 2010
Bought it. Have it now. Didn't know you couldn't root e firmware, so kdz flashed back to c, ran towelroot, checked the bootloader unlock just to make sure, about to do recovery. Thanks for the info!

Same here. This phone is amazing, totally worth $150, but even more awesome for $50.

I just got done flashing back to 10c firmware and I'm trying to unlock the bootloader and flash a custom recovery. Looking for a stock ROM without all the bloat - CM11 sounds awesome but it looks like there are still a few issues (no video recording/playback and camera not taking pretty pictures - though I have to read and see if any of that has been fixed).

br0adband

Mar 28, 2008
Well that was fun. :D

Just got back from a local Best Buy here in Las Vegas, I called ahead of time to check stock and to verify their "Price Match Guarantee" thing - I could have just ordered it from T-Mobile's website but, why wait a week for it to ship if I can get it tonight, right?

So, on the phone they try and blow me off constantly: the first girl I spoke with said they wouldn't price match, the second said they wouldn't price match if it's not in stock, then I got someone to ask the Manager (who would not speak with me on the phone, oddly enough) and he said they wouldn't honor the Price Match Guarantee on any cellular phone even in spite of that being totally inaccurate. I finished the call by saying "You'll honor it when I get there..." and then promptly ended the call.

Go to the store a half hour later, get the second phone from the shelf - the first one the girl handed me didn't even have a phone in the box, oops... - and then went to Customer Service and asked for the Manager, who came out from the back area and wondered just what I wanted (it was like 5 mins to closing time).

I said I need to price match the LG L90 with T-Mobile's current full retail pricing online at $49.99 and then he basically went into full damage control mode and did like 15 rebuttals to me about why they couldn't/shouldn't/wouldn't match the price: he whipped out his smartphone and started doing research, checked the T-Mobile site but kept hitting the "Add to cart" button before the page even loaded and I kept saying "You have to let the page load first so you can see the actual price."

He just kept at it for nearly 10 mins trying to show me it required activation - I replied "Nope, it's the full retail price at $49.99 and they are offering you the SIM activation kit for another $15 (which is crazy since the L90 comes with a brand new unactivated SIM in the box, I mean really). He kept sticking to his story that it required you to activate it and I kept saying "No, you're wrong there because it's a prepaid device and if it was in stock in the stores I could get it and not deal with any of that and activate it at home when I wanted." He jumped on the "not in stock" thing and I said no, they're out of stock in the local stores here (which they are when I called to ask) but this is an online price for an online retailer and he knew I wasn't going to back down.

I said "Look, there's two outcomes here: 1) you sell me the price matched smartphone and I leave a happy customer and continue doing business with Best Buy in the future, or 2) you don't honor your own policy for the Price Match Guarantee, I leave pissed off, angry, and frustrated, I go home and order it from T-Mobile online for the same price, you lose a customer forever, and then I hand-write (not email) a nice detailed letter to the Vice-President for Customer Relations at Best Buy Corporate about my experience here where I'm 100% in the right and within 48 hours of his Executive Assistant getting the letter I'll get a phone call, an apology, and at least a $50 Best Buy Gift Card for the hassle you ended up causing me tonight."

He didn't like that very much, nor do I think he likes me either but, for a change this customer actually was right. ;)

So I got the phone for the $49.99+tax as I expected when I walked in, proof below...

Tips if you want 'em:

- Best Buy's Price Match Guarantee states that in order for the price match to be available, the actual web page at Best Buy's website must say "PRICE MATCH GUARANTEE" on the page just above the price - the LG L90 does say that so, that's one

- If you read deeper into the Best Buy Price Match Guarantee guidelines there's a disclaimer about contract cell phones - they are excluded from the price match guarantee directly - and I made it clear that I knew this and that this is not a contract phone, it's a prepaid phone - that's two

So the Manager had no actual ground to stand on and was left with no choice but to honor the Price Match Guarantee as written on their website and also on a flyer in their stores (you have to ask to see it, actually, they don't post it for their own silly reasons).

Anyway, just earlier tonight I was looking at craigslist for an L90 believe it or not and decided to check in here for info about any updates, root, bootloader unlocking, etc, and lo and behold I caught this thread so, thank you for sharing the information, OP... :D

So far I like it overall. Coming from a G2 it's a bit of a letdown of course but, after some tweaking and other playing around I'm sure I'll like it even more.

</end_silly_Best_Buy_battle_rant>

Attachments

• 20150203_220445.jpg
    20150203_220445.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:

darkmx-6

Jan 26, 2015
I am surprisingly happy with this phone. I thought it would be a big step back from my galaxy s4 but I am pretty happy with it. My s4 had sim card issues.

My biggest complaint is that it is not 4g LTE.

Feb 26, 2015
I think the cheaper price point will bring more users, probably not many more people developing. Either way good price for the phone.

xanscorp

Feb 14, 2015
I believe the only negative impact would end up falling on LG as opposed to T-Mo as LG has allowed T-Mobile to cripple the device with the 10e firmware update. Be forewarned, if you get it now, it'll have that firmware pre-installed and it's a fuss to get it rolled back to 10c to root and then another pain to be able to access a recovery.

LupusGallus

Jan 15, 2015
I able to get this phone from my work. (Big retail box chain in US. Guess what? They price match!) I liked around the specs for this and was pleasantly surprised about the performance for the price. I walked out with the phone for under $100 and am happy with this device. Always Always look at competitor pricing and find a place that can give you guarantees. Sorry about that terrible experience @br0adband!

Regardless this is a great phone with great specs at a great price, MSRP or not. I might even learn a thing and try my own mods if it isn't rocket science!

Top Liked Posts