[Q][USB Tethering] Can I use a connection other than my Data Plan ?

OP archicorn27

22nd August 2014, 09:26 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag New Delhi
Thanks Meter: 16

39 posts
More
I've been trying to figure out if I can share WiFi that I have on my phone with Laptop/PC/Tab.

So far, I've only found out that Data Plan is the most common, or I must say, the defacto standard. I could find little to no reference of sharing a connection other than my data plan. I went through someone's post over another forum and found out that someone is doing just that. I asked how he did it and he posted screenshots to show how his S3 could route his home WiFi to his Laptop via USB Tethering.

I tried doing the same but at the moment I have no spare connection so I couldn't test this out, but, just for curiosity I tried looking into settings and found out that tethering is only possible for data plan So I installed all drivers (earlier they were giving a problem) then connected my Laptop to phone via USB cable and enabled tethering.

I thought I was done but then just to be sure, I disabled my SIM network. I turned on Airplane mode and then... tethering.disabled

Here, look how the option is grayed out

BTW my D410 is running on Stock ROM V10a-IND-XX, if it helps

Update

My bad, I didn't know about the Airplane Mode and assumed that it only disabled the carrier network. Turns out that one has to re-enable WiFi after turning on the airplane mode.

Here, find the screenshots attached. It clearly shows WiFi will be disabled and when after enabling airplane, I turn on WiFi, it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-08-23-01-03-12.png
Views:	47
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	2908188   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-05-00-30-27.png
Views:	17
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	2924680   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-05-00-39-15.png
Views:	19
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	2924681  
Last edited by archicorn27; 4th September 2014 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Found the fix :D
24th August 2014, 06:40 PM   |  #2  
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 450

1,000 posts
More
Wouldn't it be easier to buy a usb WiFi card from Amazon?

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk
24th August 2014, 08:18 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag New Delhi

39 posts
More
I already have a USB modem. That's not the problem.

Just wanted to know if it is even theoretically possible because, well, it is(possible), on an S3 ? Fact is, that, such a problem is non-existent. Usually, when you have a wireless adapter(Laptop) then you don't need your phone to handle that. Routers are easily available but phone can function like one (though kinda limited). I went through an ArchLinux forum thread where someone has modified his, wait... some old HTC phone ? to work exactly the same way. Then isn't our model capable of doing just that ?

I'm sure there must be a way.
25th August 2014, 03:24 PM   |  #4  
Flag Budapest
Thanks Meter: 1

5 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by archicorn27

I thought I was done but then just to be sure, I disabled my SIM network. I turned on Airplane mode and then... tethering.disabled

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't airplane mode also disable WiFi?
The Following User Says Thank You to g4b3rm4n For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th August 2014, 02:11 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 5

39 posts
More
Airplane mode usually disables 3G/network and WIFI and you have to enable WIFI back on to use it with no 3G.
The Following User Says Thank You to razoract For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th September 2014, 08:19 PM   |  #6  
OP Member
Flag New Delhi

39 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by g4b3rm4n

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't airplane mode also disable WiFi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by razoract

Airplane mode usually disables 3G/network and WIFI and you have to enable WIFI back on to use it with no 3G.

Oh no, I think you both are right. My bad. This a total facepalm moment. Could be because I never fiddled with settings. I thought Airplane mode was about data network, and not, WiFi

I didn't enter the control panel, just toggled the switched on and off. It's only when you pointed it out that I decided to give that a try. Worked like a charm

Thank you both for pointing out the obvious Airplane Mode 101
7th September 2014, 11:57 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by archicorn27

Oh no, I think you both are right. My bad. This a total facepalm moment. Could be because I never fiddled with settings. I thought Airplane mode was about data network, and not, WiFi

I didn't enter the control panel, just toggled the switched on and off. It's only when you pointed it out that I decided to give that a try. Worked like a charm

Thank you both for pointing out the obvious Airplane Mode 101

HI archicorn27,

do you use LG L90 D410? is it your usb tethering work normally ? I have D410 but, there is no option to enable usb tethering. I just google, and see D415 have option to use usb tethering h t t p : / / support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-10547(sorry I'm a new user, can't post url link because my post < 10)

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
usb tethering
Previous Thread Next Thread