Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,851 Members 47,041 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

New from AppleTV-land

Tip us?

joecacti
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default New from AppleTV-land

Hey All! So I got tired of waiting for either a root for the AppleTV3, or for Apple to man up and start allowing some of their App store love on the AppleTV. I was using both an ATV3 for Netflix and MLBTV and an old ATV1 for XBMC to stream SD content from a media server....

I got a discount on the MOJO, and it's been great, very easy setup process and rooting wasn't so bad either. Not nearly as cumbersome as the AppleTV was back in the day. Didn't realize I had an account on here from 10 years ago with a nifty Palm phone I had (Treo 700wx)... This was pre-iPhone mind you!

My challenges so far have been:
1) screen scaling - the edges of the screen are <just> off of my TV. XBMC on the appleTV had a scaling factor, and my TV doesn't have any options... I don't see anything in the App store either.
2) XBMC streaming just stops randomly from time to time, about 5 times per hour. I think it might have been the "full!screen" app. I'm going to keep an eye on it. I hope the wifi on the MOJO isn't to blame.
3) NTFS write: I have been able to unmount the stock android mount with Paragon, and then mount it back up with stickMount. But it doesn't happen automatic on startup. Maybe there's something in the startup "ini" that can turn off the stock mount? Then stickMount can run at startup...
4) "mirror" content - Rather than stream my content, I would like to setup a mirror, probably with FTP and Cloudberry backup.

But that's all gravy, basically I have been happy with the box. Happy to be here!

Ash180287
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecacti View Post
Hey All! So I got tired of waiting for either a root for the AppleTV3, or for Apple to man up and start allowing some of their App store love on the AppleTV. I was using both an ATV3 for Netflix and MLBTV and an old ATV1 for XBMC to stream SD content from a media server....

I got a discount on the MOJO, and it's been great, very easy setup process and rooting wasn't so bad either. Not nearly as cumbersome as the AppleTV was back in the day. Didn't realize I had an account on here from 10 years ago with a nifty Palm phone I had (Treo 700wx)... This was pre-iPhone mind you!

1) screen scaling - the edges of the screen are <just> off of my TV. XBMC on the appleTV had a scaling factor, and my TV doesn't have any options... I don't see anything in the App store either.
2) XBMC streaming just stops randomly from time to time, about 5 times per hour. I think it might have been the "full!screen" app. I'm going to keep an eye on it. I hope the wifi on the MOJO isn't to blame.
3) NTFS write: I have been able to unmount the stock android mount with Paragon, and then mount it back up with stickMount. But it doesn't happen automatic on startup. Maybe there's something in the startup "ini" that can turn off the stock mount? Then stickMount can run at startup...
4) "mirror" content - Rather than stream my content, I would like to setup a mirror, probably with FTP and Cloudberry backup.

But that's all gravy, basically I have been happy with the box. Happy to be here!
Glad to hear over all your enjoying it, can't remember the exact process but somewhere in the xmbc settings there is the ability to resize the display manually, I had to use it with my TV to remove the boarders properly too.

joecacti
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash180287 View Post
Glad to hear over all your enjoying it, can't remember the exact process but somewhere in the xmbc settings there is the ability to resize the display manually, I had to use it with my TV to remove the boarders properly too.
So that's interesting... If XBMC can do it, then it can be done in any other apps (or across the whole interface)... I saw another post about /sys/devices/platform/.../fb0 (http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...-Display-Scale). I checked that path on the M.O.J.O., but of course the hardware is different, plus I'm not sure if there are native methods to handle scaling. Something to look into more for sure. I'll start by finding the fb0 interface I guess...

gwaldo
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecacti View Post

Hi welcome,
#1 sounds like tv overscan
#2 I doubt it's a wifi issue, could be a XBMC buffering setting? (I don't use it much)
#3 http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7#post52750447, maybe more, do a search for ntfs
#4 I'm looking at the same, probably will just use filezilla