Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,247 Members 45,419 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

What to do to remove the BT4 dongle?

Tip us?

gwaldo
Old
(Last edited by gwaldo; 26th July 2014 at 04:20 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Default What to do to remove the BT4 dongle?

@shabbypenguin @mad cat rich, @Mad Catz Nate
Guys, any chance of a work around for getting the inbuild BT4 HW working on android 4.2.2?
Did a google search found:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2492436
Don't worry, "Minumum Android 4.3 version required!"
Two usb ports, but we can only use one is a bit

Info:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...jelly-bean-4-2
"Android's SDK doesn't have support for BLE prior to 4.3.
Third party libraries can enable BLE on Android 4.2 and lower where the device's hardware supports BLE,
such as on Samsung's S III, 4 and Note 2 and on the HTC One.

I only have experience using Samsung's SDK on 4.2 (which is now deprecated), so I can't really help you further.
I can't reiterate enough-- there is no standard BLE support on Android 4.2 and lower.
You'll need to use third party solutions on a per-device basis."

shabbypenguin
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4,952

DONATE TO ME
reading up on that link doesnt show promise for 4.2

ive been trying to get a custom recovery going so i could begin work on an aosp based rom, many of the "bugs" with the stock rom could then be fixed and people might start picking this up if it had support. i have kernel source downloaded and have been meaning to try out a custom kernel but i still havent even gotten a custom recovery booting. it doesnt appear they use a DTB file, so i believe my boot.img is packed correctly, yet all i get is a black screen. seeing as there hasnt been an update to the kernel source i dont expect much in terms of support, especially considering ive now asked multiple places and mad catz hasnt replied to any of my questions, it seems if i couldnt figure out how to pair my controller or turn the volume up i could get some answers but not if i have dev related questions :/.
If you feel as though my work is worth something, you can alwaysDonate

gwaldo
Old
(Last edited by gwaldo; 26th July 2014 at 04:37 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbypenguin View Post
reading up on that link doesnt show promise for 4.2

ive been trying to get a custom recovery going so i could begin work on an aosp based rom, many of the "bugs" with the stock rom could then be fixed and people might start picking this up if it had support. i have kernel source downloaded and have been meaning to try out a custom kernel but i still havent even gotten a custom recovery booting. it doesnt appear they use a DTB file, so i believe my boot.img is packed correctly, yet all i get is a black screen. seeing as there hasnt been an update to the kernel source i dont expect much in terms of support, especially considering ive now asked multiple places and mad catz hasnt replied to any of my questions, it seems if i couldnt figure out how to pair my controller or turn the volume up i could get some answers but not if i have dev related questions :/.

Yeah, it's not (re link), but it's funny on: http://madcatz.com/mojo/en-ca/
Quote:
Ready to Root

As any Android power-user knows, the best way to get the most out of your device is to root it. Root access opens up all sorts of options including adding custom keymapping capabilities and installing custom ROMs. Mad Catz provides a short step-by-step guide to rooting, and our tech support team is ready to help.
The best part – rooting won’t void your warranty.
Seems such a waste of a usb port

Edit: Oh and the kernel src works fine, shame it isn't any help re the old BT stack

gwaldo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwaldo View Post
Yeah, it's not, but it's funny on: http://madcatz.com/mojo/en-ca/

Seems such a waste of a usb port

Edit: Oh and the kernel src works fine, shame it isn't any help re the old BT stack

@Mad Catz Nate, @Mad Catz Rich do you guys know Dalin from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGlMAuKZoP0
Any chance he can answer some custom rom questions?

Domomojo
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
@shabbypenguin @mad cat rich, @Mad Catz Nate
Guys, any chance of a work around for getting the inbuild BT4 HW working on android 4.2.2?
Did a google search found:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2492436
Don't worry, "Minumum Android 4.3 version required!"
Two usb ports, but we can only use one is a bit

Info:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...jelly-bean-4-2
"Android's SDK doesn't have support for BLE prior to 4.3.
Third party libraries can enable BLE on Android 4.2 and lower where the device's hardware supports BLE,
such as on Samsung's S III, 4 and Note 2 and on the HTC One.

I only have experience using Samsung's SDK on 4.2 (which is now deprecated), so I can't really help you further.
I can't reiterate enough-- there is no standard BLE support on Android 4.2 and lower.
You'll need to use third party solutions on a per-device basis."
An article I read recently said that a firmware update is due soon which will make the MOJO controller useable with BT2.2. Not as good as an OS upgrade to 4.4, but at least it will remove the need for the dongle.
The Following User Says Thank You to Domomojo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gwaldo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domomojo View Post
An article I read recently said that a firmware update is due soon which will make the MOJO controller useable with BT2.2. Not as good as an OS upgrade to 4.4, but at least it will remove the need for the dongle.
I didn't think the mojo's ctrlr had BT2.2 HW.

I thought the update was coming for the retail CTRLR to update it to BT4
http://store.madcatz.com/brands/mad-...e-Gamepad.html

Quote:
A first for gaming peripherals, this version C.T.R.L.R employs a premium dual-mode Bluetooth 4.0 chip to ensure power-efficient compatibility with current Bluetooth Classic devices. Courtesy of a USB to Micro-USB port, future firmware updates will help ensure compatibility with upcoming Bluetooth Smart devices. Future updates will also boost power efficiency and minimize latency.
Hope, I'm wrong though :/

Domomojo
Old
(Last edited by Domomojo; 29th July 2014 at 01:13 AM.) Reason: Added additional text.
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
I didn't think the mojo's ctrlr had BT2.2 HW.

I thought the update was coming for the retail CTRLR to update it to BT4
http://store.madcatz.com/brands/mad-...e-Gamepad.html

Hope, I'm wrong though :/
Well...I was under the impression that the retail CTRLr already supported both BT2.2 and BT4.0, but after reading what you posted I'm not so sure. Also, I am unable to find find the review I read that stated that the MOJO CTRLr would soon receive a firmware update making it BT2.2 compatible. Seems rather odd that the first version of the CTRLr shipped (the version that came with MOJO) would support only the new BT4.0 standard, while the retail version, which shipped much later, only supports BT2.2. If that is the case, it would have made more sense to ship MOJO with the BT2.2 CTRLr, upgrade it to BT4.0 when the available firmware AND KitKat were available, and not even bother with a dongle.

gwaldo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Well...I was under the impression that the retail CTRLr already supported both BT2.2 and BT4.0, but after reading what you posted I'm not so sure. Also, I am unable to find find the review I read that stated that the MOJO CTRLr would soon receive a firmware update making it BT2.2 compatible. Seems rather odd that the first version of the CTRLr shipped (the version that came with MOJO) would support only the new BT4.0 standard, while the retail version, which shipped much later, only supports BT2.2. If that is the case, it would have made more sense to ship MOJO with the BT2.2 CTRLr, upgrade it to BT4.0 when the available firmware AND KitKat were available, and not even bother with a dongle.
I think:
BT4 only on mojo (cheaper not using the 'premium dual-mode Bluetooth 4.0 chip' - besides BT4 comes standard on phones/tablets since 2013 )
BT2 on retail, I guess it's the common denominator, get it working first and ship it out, patch it later.. good reason to have the micro-usb port.

It's a shame android 4.3 wasn't out when they started though :'(
Anyway, I'm still hopeful MC will deliver on kitkat and the CTRLR upgrade, IMO still too far from end of life (not like ouya!! 2010HW lol).

Domomojo
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
I think:
BT4 only on mojo (cheaper not using the 'premium dual-mode Bluetooth 4.0 chip' - besides BT4 comes standard on phones/tablets since 2013 )
BT2 on retail, I guess it's the common denominator, get it working first and ship it out, patch it later.. good reason to have the micro-usb port.

It's a shame android 4.3 wasn't out when they started though :'(
Anyway, I'm still hopeful MC will deliver on kitkat and the CTRLR upgrade, IMO still too far from end of life (not like ouya!! 2010HW lol).

From xpcoin.com/2014/05/09/mad-catz-ctrlr-android-bluetooth-gamepad/

"The retail CTRLR versus the MOJO CTRLR

If you have a MOJO CTRLR (mine is model: 32263) there are a few differences to the retail CTRLR (mine is model: 32266).
1. Obviously the retail Madcatz logo on the right grip is red instead of the grey of the MOJO CTRLR.
2. The media, start and select buttons are black instead of silver.
3. The mode switch has a nipple/tab instead of a groove which required nails!
4. The home button on the retail CTRLR has a shorter press, the MOJO CTRLR has a deeper button.
5. The most important difference is that the retail CTRLR also supports Bluetooth 2 (classic) devices, the MOJO CTRLR is Bluetooth 4 only."

gwaldo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Yeah, that's my blog...
I've been looking more deeply into the MOJO's controller dongle, it's not a BT4 adapter as I initially thought, but specific to the MOJO's CTRLR.
Explains why it can't be removed.
I can also confirm the MOJO's controller doesn't connect to BT2.

I haven't tried the retail or the MOJO's controller on a BT4 device, but I expect the MOJO's controller to work.
The retail CTRLR *should* work on BT4, if not then we wait for the firmware update :/

I wrote in more detail on the same page at the bottom.