Default Pre-Introduction Thoughts on Play v. Apple App Store

We've been working on iOS and Android prototypes of a gaming app that will let users enter and play competitively for prizes.

Now we are set to code. So nights and weekends we will be coding for a few months.

Apple App Store (AAS) has more high rollers that spend more. But Apple takes too long to certify each version. I expect that we will be releasing a new version every month for at least 6 or 8 months. Someone explained how to test iOS prerleases outside of the AAS but I don't understand. If we take the iOS route I'll use UTEST for betas. That means $.

I don't see any SEO advantages to AAS. And likewise no advantage to AAS for app discovery, in fact Play's search capability is more robust.

Play looks a better choice but we would need to limit our coverage to Android 4.0 and above. So we will lose part of the Android advantage of the large number of devices. There are about 1 Billion Android devices now but less than half are 4.0 and higher. So the number of iOS and Android 4+ devices out there are the same and iOS users spend about 3 - 4X more than Android users.

Android Studio Console is better and has better metrics. I can tell if someone uninstalls the app which is good feedback, especially if we decide to pay for downlaods.

I'd like to internationalize the app asap but I'm not sure which AAP or Play is better for international downloads. A few languages would avail us to most of the European and South American markets.

I wish I knew how many users are registered with credit cards or other forms of payment on the the AAP vs. Apple claims about 500 million registrations on AAS and Google I think is about the same.

The big bet is on Android's continued growth shipping another 500 million throughout the year with apple shiping less than 250 million. If Apple comes out with a $400 phone though it could change all this.

Leaning towards Play and a first Android App because of the quick access to Google Play without a long certification process.and if I trust what I've been told it is easier to get a beta into users hands to get feedback before putting an updated release on Play.

Please feel free to jump in and share your experiences with both.