5,814,939 Members 47,680 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Tutorial] How to restore SMS and Contacts from old CWM backup.

Tip us?

amit4patil
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Post [Tutorial] How to restore SMS and Contacts from old CWM backup.

Normally, to restore SMS or MMS from an old backup, one can just restore the nandroid backup, use a third party SMS backup program to backup the data to sdcard or gmail, restore or install new rom, then restore the SMS from the third party backup software.

However, in my case, I had a nandroid with data on it that I wanted to keep but that wouldn't boot.

So I did some searching and others have had this problem before but I figured I'd put it here for others that may have the same problem. I am not taking credit for this I just found various pieces of info around the web and xda.

Requirement:

1. Winrar.
2. CWM backup
3. Windows
4. Brain

Here's the process:

To restore SMS/MMS from a CWM backup using MS Windows:

1. Install Winrar on your system
2. Open CWM backup folder
3. Now extract data.ext4 on your system
4. The contents of the data.img will be extracted to this folder. Wait for extraction to complete
5. Browse to data\data\com.android.providers.telephony\database s in the extracted folders
6. copy mmssms.db, mmssms.db-journal, to sdcard
7. use root explorer to copy these three files to \data\data\com.android.providers.telephony\databas es

To restore contacts/call log from a CWM backup:

Repeat above process for \data\com.android.providers.contacts\databases
contacts2.db, contacts2.db-journal

Note: Be aware that replacing the existing files with those extracted from the backup will remove the existing data so if you're not 100% sure what you're doing, change the names to mmssms_OLD.db or otherwise back them up before pasting the files from the backup.

NOTE : You can also use Nandroid Browser , Nandroid Manager
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amit4patil For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

akaks09
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Sorry to say.....not worked for me....

chrajendranath
Old
Thanks Meter 1
good work