However, in my case, I had a nandroid with data on it that I wanted to keep but that wouldn't boot.
So I did some searching and others have had this problem before but I figured I'd put it here for others that may have the same problem. I am not taking credit for this I just found various pieces of info around the web and xda.
2. CWM backup
Here's the process:
To restore SMS/MMS from a CWM backup using MS Windows:
1. Install Winrar on your system
2. Open CWM backup folder
3. Now extract data.ext4 on your system
4. The contents of the data.img will be extracted to this folder. Wait for extraction to complete
5. Browse to data\data\com.android.providers.telephony\database s in the extracted folders
6. copy mmssms.db, mmssms.db-journal, to sdcard
7. use root explorer to copy these three files to \data\data\com.android.providers.telephony\databas es
To restore contacts/call log from a CWM backup:
Repeat above process for \data\com.android.providers.contacts\databases
Note: Be aware that replacing the existing files with those extracted from the backup will remove the existing data so if you're not 100% sure what you're doing, change the names to mmssms_OLD.db or otherwise back them up before pasting the files from the backup.
NOTE : You can also use Nandroid Browser , Nandroid Manager