Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,846 Members 51,416 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Ghost touches - touch digitizer gone or what?

Tip us?

niksy+
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 997
Question [Q] Ghost touches - touch digitizer gone or what?

Hey, guys! I just exchanged one of my DEFY+'s for a Milestone2 and I really like it. Yes, it's obviously not the latest model, since it's heavy and chunky, but I like it and find it veeery cool! Also, multiple of my friends already had comments like "woah, how cool is that!". Sliding QWERTY phones were always rare here in Serbia, and, as well all know, they are almost extinct everywhere in the world. I sure hope that a new Droid/Milestone will be announced by Motorola soon. I used various touchscreen keyboards for 2 years now and I haven't gotten used to ANY of them and still make tons of mistakes (word prediction is very hard for Serbo-Croatian and similar languages).

Anyways! This Milestone2 I've got is in a very decent state. It has some cracks on the bezel of the screen and one noticeable scratch on the screen, but it's all good other than that and everything works. Almost everything.

The touchscreen registers a ton of ghost touches. Sometimes it's fine, but that's just for very short periods of time. Wiping the screen clean sometimes help, but sometimes it registers touches right after wiping, too. It happens in all parts of the screen, as far as I can tell.

The phone is on stock 2.3.6 firmware for now. I'm planning on flashing it to CM11, but I won't have the time in the following week or so (post-flooding issues).

Does anyone know of any app that can help me diagnose the touchscreen? Is there anything I can try? Freezing the phone? (that's supposed to work for dead pixels) Putting it in a bag of rice, just in case? Could it be that any dust particles could be causing this, should I try disassembling and cleaning it?

Please share any experiences you've had, I would really like to be able to enjoy the MS2 for some time, it's still a cool device
  • RAZR HD | CM11 (3.0 kernel edition) | 2x1.5ghz
  • RAZR i (bro's) | JB stock | 2ghz +HT
  • Xperia U (mom's) | ICS stock | 1ghz x2
  • Milestone2 | MotoBlur [stock] Gingerbread 2.3.6 | 1ghz (ghost touches issue - PM me if you know any fixes ) - retired
  • DEFY+ | CM11 experimental 3.0.8 builds by Quarx | 1ghz - retired

niksy+
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 997
Tried heating it with a hair dryer for 5-10 minutes, but that didn't change anything. Perhaps it was too short? But the phone was untouchable, so hot... Any ideas, fellas? A new digitiser would cost ~10 EUR which, considering the damage done to our home by the recent flooding, is too much and I would probably pass it on in another exchange or sell it. But it's so cool, is there anything I could try?
  • RAZR HD | CM11 (3.0 kernel edition) | 2x1.5ghz
  • RAZR i (bro's) | JB stock | 2ghz +HT
  • Xperia U (mom's) | ICS stock | 1ghz x2
  • Milestone2 | MotoBlur [stock] Gingerbread 2.3.6 | 1ghz (ghost touches issue - PM me if you know any fixes ) - retired
  • DEFY+ | CM11 experimental 3.0.8 builds by Quarx | 1ghz - retired

---UFO---
Old
Thanks Meter 150

DONATE TO ME
Try to put it to sack of rice for at least 2 days. It helped me when I had same problem with original Milestone.
Tags
digitizer, ghost touches, touchscreen issues