FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Google Cardboard DIY VR Headset - $3.66 (fits 4-5in device)

6,296 posts
Thanks Meter: 6,982

By lost101, Recognized Contributor on 14th September 2014, 10:14 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Discussion: http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comm...from_tinydeal/
Buy: http://www.tinydeal.com/diy-google-c...-p-135220.html
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxAj2lyX4oU
Working:
TBA
Not Working:
TBA
Update: According to this site, 'magnetic input' does not work with original Moto G:
http://gweb-cardboard.appspot.com/#compatibility
Update #2: Should work with Moto G LTE since it has an actual Gyroscope.

Update #3: I've ordered one to experiment; since it's cheap and it cannot be absolutely verified it will not work with Moto G's hardware. For example, the issues might only be with the official Cardboard app (and alternative apps are fine), or a custom ROM might enable it to work correctly.
Last edited by lost101; 24th September 2014 at 06:01 PM.

22nd September 2014, 07:33 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
interesting... please report if it works on an original moto g (no lte)
23rd September 2014, 01:10 PM |#3  
OP Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
I will be testing with an original Moto G (XT1032), but it could be a few weeks before the headset arrives. Order still not even dispatched according to the website.

UPDATE: I've just read existing stock sold out and there won't be more until 29th September. I might not get the item now until mid/late October / early November.
Last edited by lost101; 23rd September 2014 at 01:24 PM.
23rd September 2014, 08:49 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 237

More
ordered it 2 weeks ago. today I got this:

Quote:

Thank you for shopping DIY Google Cardboard VR 3D Glasses EPATH-334753 on TinyDeal.com.
We experienced an unusually large number of orders. Now the mass production has been finished and the items have arrived in the warehouse ahead of schedule. All orders are processed and shipped by order date and order number without a stop.
We really appreciate your business. Please be patient for a little bit more. Thank you so much for your support and understanding.

Yours Sincerely,
TinyDeal Support Team
qiuliqun

24th September 2014, 07:46 AM |#5  

Donate to Me
More
My order status has now changed:
Order Status: Shipped
24th September 2014, 07:55 AM |#6  

Donate to Me
More
If using the magnet proves impossible with Moto G (1st Gen) - there is an alternative control option (other than just using your finger):
According to the Google cardboard official website, the magnet is used for clicking inside of demos. When you pull and release the ring, your phone's magnetometer detects changes in the magnetic field. Not all phones will be able to detect magnet pulls.

You can use Cardboard without the magnet by sticking copper tape along the side of the viewer and having it come into contact with the phone screen. When you tap twice on the copper tape with your finger, the phone will react as if it had detected a magnet pull.
[Source]
If you want to make things a bit smoother, you can add a copper strip to the side, tape one end to your phone's screen and close it up - a double-tap on the strip will register as a screen-tap.
[Source]
Although the [headset] works with any modern Android phone, it was designed for the Nexus 5. Many people reported problems with the magnetic sensor. That's because it's not in the same place on all phones. Having a slightly unusual phone, I ended up using a strip of cardboard with aluminum foil tape to do the same job.
[Source]
Last edited by lost101; 24th September 2014 at 08:19 AM.
24th September 2014, 05:06 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
i received my google cardboard today from a chinese supplier on aliexpress. assembled it and used it a little.
im using Moto G 2013 no lte version

my mini review
1. the magnet does not work, so the google cardboard apps are pretty much useless. but you can poke the display with your finger through the nose hole to activate the app.
2. again, the cardboard apps are rendered useless with the lack of gyroscope for linear motion sensing. so head tracking are out of the scope. the only apps that work pretty well without the gyro are rollercoaster vr with some degree of head tracking using accelerometer.
3. playing "3D side by side(sbs) video" on youtube is pleasant for me. its like having a big tv. the 3d effect turn out to be like the one you experience in a cinema with black&clear 3d glass.
4. for someone who are not used to wear any glass, like me. having to watch anything through a lens is a bit headache inducing experience. be warned.
5. 720p nature of our display is not forgiving when paired with the cardboard's lens. i can start seeing individual pixels, and even subpixel(rgb) if i focus enough on one spot.

anyway, i am pretty sure if you got a better spec'ed phone. the experience will be light years away from what i experienced just now.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to urra901109 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift urra901109 Ad-Free
24th September 2014, 05:57 PM |#8  

Donate to Me
More
@urra901109, can I just clarify what ROM you did your tests on? From my experience the Motorola Stock ROM does not necessarily indicate what is possible with the hardware. I won't be satisfied until tests are done with pure CyanogenMod and/or CarbonROM.
24th September 2014, 06:33 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost101

@urra901109, can I just clarify what ROM you did your tests on? From my experience the Motorola Stock ROM does not necessarily indicate what is possible with the hardware. I won't be satisfied until tests are done with pure CyanogenMod and/or CarbonROM.

lost101

i used the stock ROM.. but i think it will be pretty much the same across all ROM since most of what i talked is regarding hardware limitation(magnet sensor, and gyroscope) on the phone itself. i did enjoy it a for while with the 3d videos. but, later a headache caught me

ps: to overcome the gyroscope absence in this phone, i did connect it to xbox360 controller with the hope i can use right analog stick to pan left and right but no success on that, none of the VR apps i downloaded support the right analog stick. only the left analog is working.
24th September 2014, 06:40 PM |#10  

Donate to Me
More
Miracast is broken in stock ROM and works fine in CM / CarbonROM. Motorola have deliberately limited functionality in that case and who knows in what other instances.
Last edited by lost101; 24th September 2014 at 06:54 PM.
7th October 2014, 08:42 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 113

More
I found it fairly poor with the Moto G. As reported, not only does the magnetic trigger not work, but the Moto G accelerometers don't work to control movement. The Google Cardboard demo app is fairly useless without that. Also the optics are fairly bad for the 4.5" screen of the Moto G. Probably a happier combo with the Nexus 5. Update: Yes, I tried it with a friend's Nexus 5, and it's much better. Do not buy the Cardboard kit unless you have a Nexus phone.
Last edited by DJames1; 17th October 2014 at 05:38 AM.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)