i received my google cardboard today from a chinese supplier on aliexpress. assembled it and used it a little.
im using Moto G 2013 no lte version
my mini review
1. the magnet does not work, so the google cardboard apps are pretty much useless. but you can poke the display with your finger through the nose hole to activate the app.
2. again, the cardboard apps are rendered useless with the lack of gyroscope for linear motion sensing. so head tracking are out of the scope. the only apps that work pretty well without the gyro are rollercoaster vr with some degree of head tracking using accelerometer.
3. playing "3D side by side(sbs) video" on youtube is pleasant for me. its like having a big tv. the 3d effect turn out to be like the one you experience in a cinema with black&clear 3d glass.
4. for someone who are not used to wear any glass, like me. having to watch anything through a lens is a bit headache inducing experience. be warned.
5. 720p nature of our display is not forgiving when paired with the cardboard's lens. i can start seeing individual pixels, and even subpixel(rgb) if i focus enough on one spot.
anyway, i am pretty sure if you got a better spec'ed phone. the experience will be light years away from what i experienced just now.