Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,840 Members 40,852 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Which ads network is better?

Tip us?

sensboston
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 423

DONATE TO ME
Question Which ads network is better?

I have a question to the developers with practical experience of using different ad networks: which one is better, Microsoft Advertising or Google AdMob or ... ?

I'm interested actually in two points: ad performance and monthly cash flow (based on the same ad performance).

So, in ideal case it should be results from the one app with two (or more) randomly displayed ads from the different networks (but it may be prohibited by agreement - I should re-read FAQ).

Marvin_S
Old
(Last edited by Marvin_S; 11th January 2012 at 12:58 AM.)
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 240

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensboston View Post
I have a question to the developers with practical experience of using different ad networks: which one is better, Microsoft Advertising or Google AdMob or ... ?

I'm interested actually in two points: ad performance and monthly cash flow (based on the same ad performance).

So, in ideal case it should be results from the one app with two (or more) randomly displayed ads from the different networks (but it may be prohibited by agreement - I should re-read FAQ).
MS performed quite oke for me, dont have it too long and not high volume yet, so cant really say how it will hold in the future. Admob screwed me bigtime though, at some point 10.000 impressions for 1 cent and even worse some even for 0 cent . I have statistics for you if you want. It used to generate quite good, but than when I really got lots of impressions they only supplied crappy ads, for 0.001 ecpm.

But yeah my advice is just experiment with both and see which you prefer. Admob can be nice but its very unstable so dont try to rely too much on it.

EDIT:
I dug up the terrible stats
Click image for larger version

Name:	Naamloos.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	851159

But I have also seen other days where the revenue was about 20/30 dollars for the same amount of adrequests (unfortunately those days where very rare).
The average is about 40/50.000 requests a day that month and about 30.000 impressions a day. Of course the downside of pubcenter is that not all ads are available everywhere.
Developer of:

Texas Hold'Em Poker Odds (FREE) Improve your chances with this poker odds calculator for Windows Phone!

Achtung! (FREE) for Windows Phone now available!
The first Achtung Die Kurve inspired game with intelligent A.I. for Windows Phone.

sensboston
Old
Thanks Meter 423

DONATE TO ME
Thanks for reply and info, Marvin! Hmm, I'm really disappointed of AdMob Seems like MS paid 8-10 times more (based on ad impressions statistics). It's strange - I'm expected at least similar values...

MS ads control works good and stable enough, so probably I'll go with MS ads for my next fun project app.

BTW, have you tried AdDuplex guys? AFAIK, it's an ad exchange network (no payment option), correct? But may be it's a good way to promote app.

Marvin_S
Old
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 240

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks for reply and info, Marvin! Hmm, I'm really disappointed of AdMob Seems like MS paid 8-10 times more (based on ad impressions statistics). It's strange - I'm expected at least similar values...

MS ads control works good and stable enough, so probably I'll go with MS ads for my next fun project app.

BTW, have you tried AdDuplex guys? AFAIK, it's an ad exchange network (no payment option), correct? But may be it's a good way to promote app.
Yeah adduplex does not work, have used it for a while zero payments. The user base is too small.

Thats true MS Pubcenter seems the most reliable and most rewarding. But they dont supply ads all around the world. So you might use Admob as backup, for whatever spare cents you can take and you might get lucky and have some good days. The statistics I showed you were indeed the worst case but they were far more common than the high ecpm ads, and as you see 60.000 adrequests a day is quite a lot (every 30 seconds) and indeed I kind of felt robbed by them as it should have earned me around 800 dollars the month with Pubcenter instead of 20. I've experimented with most known networks and I've been using Admob for sinplicity (and Pubcenter was not available back than in my country), since it was available have been a happy user. And now just use admob to catch the remains.
Developer of:

Texas Hold'Em Poker Odds (FREE) Improve your chances with this poker odds calculator for Windows Phone!

Achtung! (FREE) for Windows Phone now available!
The first Achtung Die Kurve inspired game with intelligent A.I. for Windows Phone.

ldokov
Old
Thanks Meter 13
I've tried a few, but have in mind that my apps are relatively new(less than 1 month) and with very low volume. Results:

Microsoft: I think they give the highest revenue, but I've read that the fill rate is very low outside US/UK. I didn't find any fill rate statistic in their interface, only impressions.

AdMob: I got fill rate around 30%. Because they pay by click, I got much less revenue than the same number of impressions from Microsoft. Interesting here is that the eCPM is relatively high, around 0.9$. I think users click AdMob ads more often than others because all Microsoft and AdDuplex ads are text-only but AdMob has some image ads.

Millenial media: very low fill rate (~3%), not worth the effort. Haven't tried them for real, very buggy ad control.

Inneractive: they claimed to have a very high fill-rate for outside US and UK so I tested them. They might have a high fill rate but they were serving iPhone ads. For iPhone apps! In Windows Phone! When you click the ad you got redirected to iTunes. I asked them what happens they answered that this was normal, those ads were paid for. Poor iPhone advertisers... I decided not to use them.

AdDuplex: still new to them, no idea what happens there.

My suggestion: use a control that rotate different ad networks, this way you will not lose impressions when some of the networks fail to supply ad.

Hope this helps. Will be happy to learn the experience of other developers out there.

Kevin Campbell
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:

admob is good...if you have global traffic try some platforms like adiquity,mobclix..I have got good results from them..

sensboston
Old
(Last edited by sensboston; 8th February 2012 at 03:22 PM.)
Thanks Meter 423

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Campbell View Post
admob is good...if you have global traffic try some platforms like adiquity,mobclix..I have got good results from them..
Could you share your results, please? I mean real numbers, not just word "good". Also, do they have ready-to-go control, easy to embed (like MS control)? How stable/good these WP7 controls/components? Thanks!

Kevin Campbell
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Could you share your results, please? I mean real numbers, not just word "good". Also, do they have ready-to-go control, easy to embed (like MS control)? How stable/good these WP7 controls/components? Thanks!
Currently i am using adiquity & my majority of traffic comes from south africa in an ACPC of 15-18 cents & fill rate 85%-90%.
I used admob before & someday i got CPC upto 25 cents but the problem is the fill rate which fluctuates a lot i have heard good things about mobclix..

sensboston
Old
Thanks Meter 423

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by billtapit View Post
To answer your question, Google Admob is better definetely.
I don't have a lot of information on you to better assist you though.
Hmm, you don't have any proof or numbers, just an opinion. Sorry but it's useless... I trust to recognized developers and people with own experience only, not to unknown marketing guys from the advertising startup.

stevesmith84
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:

Hi,
I personally used Tapit as my Ad network for my app. Their support team is knowledgeable to assist me with different ad types to monetize my app. They are are fairly new company that offer competitive ECPM, you should check them out.