PSA: Voice transcription speed depends on the caliber of your phone

Search This thread

erikiksaz

Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles
I just posted this on reddit, figured I'd post it here too:

I used to use my G watch with my old Moto X. The 360 was about to be released, so I sold the G watch. Consequently, the 2014 X was about to be released, so I sold my old X as well.

Eventually the new 360 released, I paired it with my spare LG L90 ($20ish bucks from T-mobile!), and voice transcription was wayyyy slower than the G watch. I thought it was the IMAP processor lagging behind the snapdragon 400. Voice transcription bordered on useless for me. It was slow and error-prone.

So fast forward to now, I've got a 2014 X in front of me, I repaired it with my 360, and transcription speeds are back to normal. Before with the L90, it couldn't understand phrases like "two tow trucks just towed away some cars" or "10,000 dollars was a lot of cash 100 years ago." Now it handles them quickly and correctly on the first try.

Just a PSA in case you were wondering why your transcription was slow, it really depends on the caliber of your host device. I had no idea android wear would lean so heavily on the phone.

play2lose

Aug 11, 2007
Hmm, that's odd. I have a Moto X 2013 and had the G Watch for about a week, and voice transcription was generally slow. I figured it was just an android wear thing. I've had my Moto 360 for 2 days and was pleasantly surprised that voice transcription has been near instant (using the same Moto X)

Maybe there are other factors that come into play as well?

aonavy

Mar 1, 2008
Hmm, that's odd. I have a Moto X 2013 and had the G Watch for about a week, and voice transcription was generally slow. I figured it was just an android wear thing. I've had my Moto 360 for 2 days and was pleasantly surprised that voice transcription has been near instant (using the same Moto X)

Maybe there are other factors that come into play as well?

do both phones have BT 4.0?

v3ngence

Dec 24, 2008
I'm using an old galaxy s2 with cm11 on it, voice transcription speed is occasionally decent, often rubbish lol

It sure seems like the watch just sends raw audio to the phone and then sits and waits for the phone to transmit text back.

PsychDrummer

Nov 29, 2012
Hmm interesting. It would make sense that it's sending the audio to the phone since the next step will probably occur on the phone (pulling info, executing command). To test it out, I "rapped" eminem lyrics fairly quickly and it was able to get about 90% of the words which to me is very impressive. I use a Nexus 5.