USB OTG enabled as standard

Search This thread

charlesky

Jul 4, 2012
London
I'd seen contradictory posts about whether the 2014 Moto E supported USB OTG. But I can confirm the 2015 version has it working perfectly. Plugged in my thumbdrive on an OTG cable, went to /storage/usbdisk in ES File Explorer and all my files were there. After having to jump through hoops to get it working on my Nexus 7, this is a pleasant surprise.

santoshvaza

Apr 25, 2014
Mumbai
I'd seen contradictory posts about whether the 2014 Moto E supported USB OTG. But I can confirm the 2015 version has it working perfectly. Plugged in my thumbdrive on an OTG cable, went to /storage/usbdisk in ES File Explorer and all my files were there. After having to jump through hoops to get it working on my Nexus 7, this is a pleasant surprise.

OTG support for mouse and keyboard there or not? I tried connecting them it does not works.
Really OTG works on moto e 2015??? in 3g or 4g version?

charlesky

Jul 4, 2012
London
This is on the 4g version. Just tested a USB mouse and it works perfectly as well.
I have the European model No. XT1524.

Last edited:

santoshvaza

Apr 25, 2014
Mumbai
does it price too much for putting up a otg h/w ?f||| you moto for discriminating 3g version from 4g version on aspect of sd 200&400,

hojel

May 13, 2015
OTG devices tested

OTG support for mouse and keyboard there or not? I tried connecting them it does not works.

I tested several OTG devices on my MOTO E 2015 LTE US version.

mouse, keyboard - OK
memory stick - OK
USB audio - NO, recognized but no audio output
powered hub - OK, but touchscreen becomes slow responding

3g version doesn't support USB OTG.
https ://forums.motorola.com/posts/44c6b762f9

Reactions: brotherswing

reficurg

Dec 16, 2013

mouse, keyboard - OK
memory stick - OK

I tried a dualshock 3, but couldn't get it work with my XT1528

fratellos

Aug 8, 2012
On my Moto DON'T WORK !
" I tried with two different OTG cables and a lot of USB sticks (1, 2, 4, 6, 16 GB)" :( ...

Cookie Ninja

Jan 21, 2010
USB OTG
Works- any flash drive formatted to FAT32/16
Does not work- 64/128 GB flash drives formatted to exFAT/portable HDDs formatted to NTFS...

Dead Cookies leave no trails...

Reactions: Andr01dye

dreyeth

Sep 6, 2015

I haven't had any issues on the Moto E 2015 4G LTE (model XT1527) connected a OTG device np, check that the drive your
connecting has a supported filesystem and verify that your OTG equipment isn't bad (I've had that happen before).

fratellos

Aug 8, 2012
"On my Moto XT 1524 (5.0.2 ; 22.36.1.surnia_reteu.reteuall.en.EU retfr) OTG DON'T WORK !!!"
Different memory stick, cables, formatted ....

ab1jx

Nov 19, 2015
Heath, MA
It seems to depend on what you have. I have an XT1505 and an XT1527, both US versions bought direct from Motorola. Spec Device says both have OTG, Chainfire's USB Host test utility says only the XT1527 does. I've used a USB drive on this XT1527, I had a Go Phone version of the XT1527 before and I was able to use a USB keyboard (can't find my mouse) and an RT2832 SDR dongle with SDR Touch using a powered USB hub. That Go Phone (and probably most cheap versions) wouldn't tether and Motorola wouldn't give me the unlock code for the bootloader so I returned it. The retail version ($150) tethers fine and I've got the unlock code already.

I keep hoping it's a software/firmware deficiency on the XT1505 that it might be possible to change once it's rooted. At least this one can be rooted, I think. I've had no luck using OTG even with a powered hub. From Linux I can use ADB and fastboot, I can transfer files in and out of it with PCManFM which pops up when I plug it in (Debian). Motorola's Windows USB drivers I've had trouble with. I can tether with both phones over USB to Linux or Windows, the 1527's much faster.

Last edited:

jmcyang

Dec 18, 2015
"Mount USB On-The-Go storage" in Settings -> Storage is greyed out on my phone. Is it normally greyed out, then gets selectable when you plug the OTG cord in? (I don't have a cord yet -- want to know if it works first.)

I have a 2015 4G LTE (Verizon XT 1528).

Thx.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    USB OTG

is it Support OTG USB Cable ?
    OTG devices tested

mouse, keyboard - OK
    memory stick - OK

USB OTG
    Works- any flash drive formatted to FAT32/16
    Does not work- 64/128 GB flash drives formatted to exFAT/portable HDDs formatted to NTFS...

Dead Cookies leave no trails...