Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,462 Members 42,654 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROOT][DETAILED] MOTO E Rooting and Flashing Recovery 100% Working

Tip us?

JerryGoyal
Old
(Last edited by JerryGoyal; 11th July 2014 at 03:00 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Thumbs up [ROOT][DETAILED] MOTO E Rooting and Flashing Recovery 100% Working

"Many of moto E users including me is having the problem of getting stuck when flashing the recovery."

"so i decided to make a thread for explanation."

1.Bootloader must be unlocked.if not, Unlock the bootloader from here

(a). Download the CWM 6.0.4.9 recovery For MOTO E. this recovery is required temporary for flashing "SuperSU".

(b). So download UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.01.zip

(c). Download the latest TWRP Recovery TWRP 2.7.2.0 V2.2. this will be your new default recovery.

STEPS:-

1. Copy "UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.01.zip" into phone's sdcard(could be internal memory)

2. Boot into bootloader (switch off the phone -> hold volume down+power button for 6 seconds -> release the buttons and wait for 1 second)

3.Connect USB to phone in bootloader menu.

4.Copy "cwm 6.0.4.9_recovery.img" (downloaded from step a) and "moto_e_twrp2.7.2.0_v2.2.img" (downloaded from step c) to "adb folder" in desktop.

5.first we have to flash CWM recovery so that we can flash SuperSU. Enter in cmd
Code:
fastboot flash recovery cwm6.0.4.9_recovery
it will give an error like "mismatched partition size(recovery)" but it's normal

Now press the volume down once(move to recovery) then volume up(to select) and wait till shows this

wait some more and there you are in CWM recovery.
6. Choose "install from sdcard" and select "UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.01.zip" downloaded in (b) step.
[*NOTE*
>>CWM recovery itself has a rooting menu item, it'll be displayed when you want to reboot. It'll ask if it should root the device - but it won't work.So You should go the SuperSU way.]

>>When you select a CWM reboot after applying SuperSU, CWM displayed "root access may have been lost - fix?". Please select "No", it'll work fine]

7.After installation of SuperSU you can reboot the device. Since now we have rooted the device by flashing SuperSU,we can install the TWRP Touch recovery. repeat 2. and 3. step

8. Enter in cmd:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery moto_e_twrp2.7.2.0_v2.2.img
it will give same error as in step 5 but that's normal. Now you have successfully installed the TWRP recovery.
To go into recovery you have to select volume up button (instead of power button like in most HTC phones).

if need help.comment
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JerryGoyal For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Deadly
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,939

DONATE TO ME
Well there is already a "How to root" thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2755336

Besides this is again a "how to" thread. Should be in general section. It has no development. So please report your thread and request to move it.

Also, 2 recoveries are not needed to root. Either of those 2 is enough.
"Thanks button is just to avoid "thanks" posts in threads. Nothing more than that. Don't ask in signature or post for it and defeat the purpose why it was introduced"
The Following User Says Thank You to Deadly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JerryGoyal
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
Well there is already a "How to root" thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2755336

Besides this is again a "how to" thread. Should be in general section. It has no development. So please report your thread and request to move it.

Also, 2 recoveries are not needed to root. Either of those 2 is enough.
okay,i have sent the request to move the thread.
well for some users twrp recovery was causing the problem at first hand that's why i suggested.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JerryGoyal For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LeiraHoward
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Thank you for this. Your workaround solved my issue.

JerryGoyal
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeiraHoward View Post
Thank you for this. Your workaround solved my issue.
Glad to hear that
The Following User Says Thank You to JerryGoyal For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

deej_roamer
Old
Thanks Meter 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry.goyal View Post
Glad to hear that
CWM link is down, Please make a mirror and better upload it at a host which does not put bandwidth or download cap!
Recommendations would be Google Drive, Dev-Host, Mega etc.

Also For the CWM, where did you find a working version for moto E?
I'd like to visit the source!

JerryGoyal
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by deej_roamer View Post
CWM link is down, Please make a mirror and better upload it at a host which does not put bandwidth or download cap!
Recommendations would be Google Drive, Dev-Host, Mega etc.

Also For the CWM, where did you find a working version for moto E?
I'd like to visit the source!
i updated the link.
source code for CWM is here https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andro...table_recovery and https://github.com/JackpotClavin/and...ce_moto_condor
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JerryGoyal For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SantaPagla
Old
(Last edited by SantaPagla; 11th July 2014 at 12:25 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Default None of the ways are working after OTA update to 4.4.4

After updating my Moto E to 4.4.4 today, I tried to root it. I tried both the ways (with TWRP and with CWM) but not together.

The results are disappointing.

When I used the "only boot with recovery" option (fastboot boot recovery....img), I got a frozen white screen with the Moto logo in the center the instant I issued the fastboot command. Nothing else happened.

When I used the "flash recovery" option (fastboot flash recovery recovery....img) and tried to load the recovery I just flashed, I got a small graphic in the center with "No Command" written at the bottom. Nothing else happened.

I'm still trying, will update if situation improves...

Update: Finally CWM worked. I started from the beginning, followed the steps and I now have root.

Warning:
1. CWM recovery itself has a rooting menu item, displayed when you want to reboot. It asks if it should root the device - but doesn't work. You should go the SuperSU way.
2. When you select a CWM reboot after applying SuperSU, CWM displayed "root access may have been lost - fix?". I selected "No" and it worked fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to SantaPagla For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JerryGoyal
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaPagla View Post
After updating my Moto E to 4.4.4 today, I tried to root it. I tried both the ways (with TWRP and with CWM) but not together.

The results are disappointing.

When I used the "only boot with recovery" option (fastboot boot recovery....img), I got a frozen white screen with the Moto logo in the center the instant I issued the fastboot command. Nothing else happened.

When I used the "flash recovery" option (fastboot flash recovery recovery....img) and tried to load the recovery I just flashed, I got a small graphic in the center with "No Command" written at the bottom. Nothing else happened.

I'm still trying, will update if situation improves...

Update: Finally CWM worked. I started from the beginning, followed the steps and I now have root.

Warning:
1. CWM recovery itself has a rooting menu item, displayed when you want to reboot. It asks if it should root the device - but doesn't work. You should go the SuperSU way.
2. When you select a CWM reboot after applying SuperSU, CWM displayed "root access may have been lost - fix?". I selected "No" and it worked fine.
thanks i forgot to write the Warning part.
Hitting "THANKS" never Killed Anyone

ChaTy
Old
Thanks Meter 67
Default plzzz help some1

I unlocked bootloader successfully ...
then even i flashed with "fastboot boot recovery-twrp.img"
then i typed as "fastboot reboot" which rebooted my device

then i turned of the device ....entered in fastboot but using power and volume down...but when i got in recovery,,,there comes my android lying with its chest open and red triangle and there is written "no command"

plzzz help me guys

Tags
bootloader, moto e, recovery, root, twrp