Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,383 Members 51,154 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Help to get this android noob started with moto E

Tip us?
 
.glen
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Jul 2014
Sign Help to get this android noob started with moto E

To give a little background info: I'm complete noob as far as android is concerned and I just bought moto e to get me started with android world.

I don't know about others but I certainly feel overwhelmed by shear magnitude of this world and feel little lost >.>

So, put it in one line, I wold like to get help from experts and maybe other people who also bought this phone or something similar to make my life little easier as going all gung ho in app store doesn't seem like a good approach to me, especially with low bandwidth net I've.

As I mentioned, this is my first Android phone and I would like to know about the ''free'' apps which I should install for following things.
Protection from virus/spyware/theft?
File browser if it can extend the capacity of default browsing system.
Web browser which performs well on low bandwidth but is also decent.
Social networking apps (I've already installed Whatsapp as it was known to even gadget challenged person like me)
Ebook and PDF file reader.
Caller ID and call as well as voice recorder.
Those reviewers were not kidding when they said camera sucked on this phone, so if there any app to make it better/more useful?
App for sketching and drawing.
App for navigation (if there is need)
Small time games like racing and pool/snooker etc. I'm not really a game seaway so things on youtube looked too much for me .-.
Any other useful recommendations are welcome as well.

PS:
I did look for some other thread like this but I didn't find one so forgive me if this doesn't really live up to the forum standards, and feel free to delete/move it, if it doesn't. I apologize in advance.
Cheers!
 
eswarvf
Old
#2  
eswarvf's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 138
Posts: 518
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: hyderabad
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by .glen View Post
To give a little background info: I'm complete noob as far as android is concerned and I just bought moto e to get me started with android world.

I don't know about others but I certainly feel overwhelmed by shear magnitude of this world and feel little lost >.>

So, put it in one line, I wold like to get help from experts and maybe other people who also bought this phone or something similar to make my life little easier as going all gung ho in app store doesn't seem like a good approach to me, especially with low bandwidth net I've.

As I mentioned, this is my first Android phone and I would like to know about the ''free'' apps which I should install for following things.
Protection from virus/spyware/theft?
File browser if it can extend the capacity of default browsing system.
Web browser which performs well on low bandwidth but is also decent.
Social networking apps (I've already installed Whatsapp as it was known to even gadget challenged person like me)
Ebook and PDF file reader.
Caller ID and call as well as voice recorder.
Those reviewers were not kidding when they said camera sucked on this phone, so if there any app to make it better/more useful?
App for sketching and drawing.
App for navigation (if there is need)
Small time games like racing and pool/snooker etc. I'm not really a game seaway so things on youtube looked too much for me .-.
Any other useful recommendations are welcome as well.

PS:
I did look for some other thread like this but I didn't find one so forgive me if this doesn't really live up to the forum standards, and feel free to delete/move it, if it doesn't. I apologize in advance.
Cheers!

First of all you are posting in wrong section and Second as you are a newbie try relaxing a bit no one will become Einstein in one day and Thirdly welcome to the android community.

And You just cant ask away everything as this is not a place for app advicing you got playstore for that and free paid apps you know how to get them and dont ask about them as it is not allowed [i personally disagree as its just skipping money from wrong people]
and please use "search" thing before you ask
Need some apps from other devices please view this guy's thread
Read This FAQ Before Asking anyone [newbies][only sIII mini]
Devices
 
SIII Mini - Carbon Rom Novafusion
Nokia X - Lewa OS
Htc one S - Old Stock [Waiting for windows 7]
Moto E - Stock
 
.glen
Old
(Last edited by .glen; 7th July 2014 at 05:07 PM.)
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by eswarvf View Post
 


First of all you are posting in wrong section and Second as you are a newbie try relaxing a bit no one will become Einstein in one day and Thirdly welcome to the android community.

And You just cant ask away everything as this is not a place for app advicing you got playstore for that and free paid apps you know how to get them and dont ask about them as it is not allowed [i personally disagree as its just skipping money from wrong people]
and please use "search" thing before you ask
Sorry about the section thingy, I saw the ''theme and app'' thing on the section header(?) so thought this would be the right place to go.
About the playstore, I'm browsing it, but its kind of difficult to separate whats useful from what not (being a newbie and all plus slow net kind of makes it difficult to try out everything, sorry if that sounds like an excuse). I guess, I was just looking for people who already use these and suggest the best.
I'm browsing the thread you linked so thank you for that.
 
eswarvf
Old
#4  
eswarvf's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 138
Posts: 518
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: hyderabad
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by .glen View Post
Sorry about the section thingy, I saw the ''theme and app'' thing on the section header(?) so thought this would be the right place to go.
About the playstore, I'm browsing it, but its kind of difficult to separate whats useful from what not (being a newbie and all plus slow net kind of makes it difficult to try out everything, sorry if that sounds like an excuse). I guess, I was just looking for people who already use these and suggest the best.
I'm browsing the thread you linked so thank you for that.


In my opinion these are the best for me

1) "Antivirus" are you kidding come on this is linux
2)MiXplorer [One of awesome things for android ][no files explorer is better]
3)Web browser- i prefer stock aosp in my sense all are laggy even chrome
4)Are you kidding me again
5)Ebook and PDF file reader - any thing is ok for me [as i got it default]
6) True caller Id i think but never used it much but people say it is good
7)Camera i never care and i think no apk will make it better [i mean u cant make 5mp to 8mp]
8)I found sketch book from samsung is very good u can search here
9)Navigation- Do you mean launchers i use default or google home as it will always be fast
10)I am not fond of small games or time pass way
And pm me if u need anything and please use playstore ratings and xda to judge it
Need some apps from other devices please view this guy's thread
Read This FAQ Before Asking anyone [newbies][only sIII mini]
Devices
 
SIII Mini - Carbon Rom Novafusion
Nokia X - Lewa OS
Htc one S - Old Stock [Waiting for windows 7]
Moto E - Stock
 
.glen
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by eswarvf View Post

In my opinion these are the best for me

1) "Antivirus" are you kidding come on this is linux
2)MiXplorer [One of awesome things for android ][no files explorer is better]
3)Web browser- i prefer stock aosp in my sense all are laggy even chrome
4)Are you kidding me again
5)Ebook and PDF file reader - any thing is ok for me [as i got it default]
6) True caller Id i think but never used it much but people say it is good
7)Camera i never care and i think no apk will make it better [i mean u cant make 5mp to 8mp]
8)I found sketch book from samsung is very good u can search here
9)Navigation- Do you mean launchers i use default or google home as it will always be fast
10)I am not fond of small games or time pass way
And pm me if u need anything and please use playstore ratings and xda to judge it
Actually, anything that has human factor involved is a security risk, Linux or not. While Android OS itself might be very well secured, what you install on it makes world of difference (hence my reluctance), depending on sources. It is true that I'm noob to android gadgets, I'm very well familiar with Linux as that is what I use more than 90% of the time. On the Linux forum I'm frequent at, this topic usually causes ton of debate and after few good points it end with exactly what you said, so I wont fan that fire.lol Just wanted to know if there is one. And by the way, Virus=/=malware, virus is just one of the many forms of Malware. And even Linux is not ''that'' secure/immune from latter, its just less of a riped fruit to pluck, something contrary to its child; Android and hence the question.

When I said making cam better/more useful, it was more aimed at making its stock camera UI/app (w/e you may call it) a little more useful by adding more quality/functions or simply make came more easier to use with different UI, this has no bearings on camera hardware in question. I do apologize for wording this wrong in initial post though.


I'll install all your other suggestions, thank you very much for your patience. I appreciate it!
 
eswarvf
Old
#6  
eswarvf's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 138
Posts: 518
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: hyderabad
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by .glen View Post
Actually, anything that has human factor involved is a security risk, Linux or not. While Android OS itself might be very well secured, what you install on it makes world of difference (hence my reluctance), depending on sources. It is true that I'm noob to android gadgets, I'm very well familiar with Linux as that is what I use more than 90% of the time. On the Linux forum I'm frequent at, this topic usually causes ton of debate and after few good points it end with exactly what you said, so I wont fan that fire.lol Just wanted to know if there is one. And by the way, Virus=/=malware, virus is just one of the many forms of Malware. And even Linux is not ''that'' secure/immune from latter, its just less of a riped fruit to pluck, something contrary to its child; Android and hence the question.

When I said making cam better/more useful, it was more aimed at making its stock camera UI/app (w/e you may call it) a little more useful by adding more quality/functions or simply make came more easier to use with different UI, this has no bearings on camera hardware in question. I do apologize for wording this wrong in initial post though.


I'll install all your other suggestions, thank you very much for your patience. I appreciate it!


I am just kidding buddy it just mean i dont use it and never infected by virus and camera thing i never worried as this one is my moms phone my device have a decent one

And you are familiar with linux while i am with windows. Any way everything here is easy but u need patience except for the devolopment part i dont know what magic they will do
Need some apps from other devices please view this guy's thread
Read This FAQ Before Asking anyone [newbies][only sIII mini]
Devices
 
SIII Mini - Carbon Rom Novafusion
Nokia X - Lewa OS
Htc one S - Old Stock [Waiting for windows 7]
Moto E - Stock
 
neo.ank
Old
#7  
neo.ank's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 522
Posts: 1,165
Join Date: Apr 2011

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by .glen View Post
Actually, anything that has human factor involved is a security risk, Linux or not. While Android OS itself might be very well secured, what you install on it makes world of difference (hence my reluctance), depending on sources. It is true that I'm noob to android gadgets, I'm very well familiar with Linux as that is what I use more than 90% of the time. On the Linux forum I'm frequent at, this topic usually causes ton of debate and after few good points it end with exactly what you said, so I wont fan that fire.lol Just wanted to know if there is one. And by the way, Virus=/=malware, virus is just one of the many forms of Malware. And even Linux is not ''that'' secure/immune from latter, its just less of a riped fruit to pluck, something contrary to its child; Android and hence the question.

When I said making cam better/more useful, it was more aimed at making its stock camera UI/app (w/e you may call it) a little more useful by adding more quality/functions or simply make came more easier to use with different UI, this has no bearings on camera hardware in question. I do apologize for wording this wrong in initial post though.


I'll install all your other suggestions, thank you very much for your patience. I appreciate it!
The only way you can be affected by a malware is if you install an infected/malicious app. If you stick with Play Store, the chances for that are minimal. Do not download apps from anywhere else and let Google verify it for you. Still if you're concerned there are plenty of antivirus apps on Play Store, use search button.
Also, try and read the description of an app before you install, see if it has the features you need.The ratings and reviews also help. Thats how learned it when I bought my first Android.

As for the camera UI, trust me, this is one of the best camera apps amongst stock ones. Its clean,simple and efficient. Still, if you wish to check some more, there are plenty on play store. You can try those. Camera 360, Perfectly Clear, for example. They will change the UI and have some cool after effects to apply.
My friend told me,there was life outside the internet and that I should check it out.
I said "Cool.! Send me the link. !!"


 
The Following User Says Thank You to neo.ank For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
g33kparineeti
Old
#8  
g33kparineeti's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 262
Posts: 364
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kolkata
@.glen First and foremost a warm welcome to the Droidland...

Antivirus> Not required at all/Avast
File Browser> ES File Explorer/Astro File Manager
Web Browser on low b/w> Opera Mini/UCBrowser
Video player> MX Player

These are the only apps available for your purpose and free...
No app will make your camera better...

Also try Nova Launcher...

Games> Angry Birds, Temple Run2, Subway Surfers, Jetpack Joyride, SSG2, Hill Climb Racing, Into The Dead, Cut The Rope2 to name a few...

Btw don't worry, we all were n00b at first...
But don't get overwhelmed, we're happy to help...

BTW, don't forget to click the Thanks button below my post if I helped ya...
Who said a GIRL can't be a GEEK???
The Following User Says Thank You to g33kparineeti For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Ex-Hunter
Old
#9  
Member
Thanks Meter 30
Posts: 58
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by .glen View Post
So, put it in one line, I wold like to get help from experts and maybe other people who also bought this phone or something similar to make my life little easier as going all gung ho in app store doesn't seem like a good approach to me, especially with low bandwidth net I've.
Welcome to the fabulous world of android!
I've compiled a list of apps along with their respective play store links. I hope you'd find them useful.
My two cents worth:-
  1. File browser: I use CyanogenMod File Manager. Root Explorer(Paid), ES File Explorer,etc are decent options.
  2. Web browser: Dolphin Browser-It supports flash. If you want to conserve data you might look into Opera Mini
  3. Ebook and PDF file reader: Moon Plus Reader-IMHO this is the best app for this purpose. Free and Paid options are available
  4. Communication: Viber is a good option. I prefer it over LINE,WE chat,etc
Some other apps I think you should have:-
  1. For optimizing RAM usage/hibernating apps: Greenify
  2. Ad-blocking: AdblockPlus or Adaway(needs root). For more info,look here.
  3. Launcher: Nova Launcher
  4. Media Player: MX Player-a must have!
  5. App Backup:TitaniumBackup(needs root) or Helium
Hit Thanks button if I've helped
The Following User Says Thank You to Ex-Hunter For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
.glen
Old
#10  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Jul 2014
Thank you all! I've taken most of the suggestions and it has indeed made my life easier :3

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes