[CM12, 12.1][Moto E] Removed network activity indicators & improved signal/wifi icons

Search This thread

nilanko

Jun 2, 2014
New Delhi
[CM12, 12.1][Moto E] Removed network activity indicators & improved signal/wifi icons

Hello guys :D

For those users who hate those little grey network activity indicators over wifi and signal icons in CM12 and CM12.1, here's a treat for you!

I have modified the SystemUI.apk and implemented the following changes:

1. Network activity indicators have been removed!
  2. Spacing between the dual SIM signal indicators has been increased slightly and thus they appear better than the original look where both the indicators almost touch each other.
  3. Signal icons are a bit bigger (than the original small ones which look too small besides the battery icon).
  4. The CM's ugly extra-wide wifi icon has been replaced with the original, sleek and elegant wifi icon from Motorola.
  5. Annoying exclamation marks have also been removed!

Original CM look, click to enlarge:

attachment.jpg

Modified new look, click to enlarge:

imupload.jpg

I have flashable ZIPs for you which you can simply flash from your custom recovery and your SystemUI.apk will be replaced. Please make a backup of the original file located at /system/priv-app/SystemUI/SystemUI.apk. The original file permissions are rw- r-- r-- and chown root:root.

Please note that this file will only work on Moto E XT1022 and most probably other variants as well, you can try, but backup the original before you do so. I will not be responsible for any thermo-nuclear war taking place on your device after this :laugh:

I generally never ask for thanks, but this time I would like to because it was a lot of work :silly: :p

Download:

Enjoy :victory:

How did I do it:

• Decompiled SystemUI.apk
  • Lollipop uses vectors to draw the status bar icons you see on the top right, means there's no png you can simply replace and get your work done.
  • I totally removed the vectors references of the required icons and placed raster images in the required resolution folder (Moto E is an hdpi device). When systemUI can't find vectors, it looks for rasters. That did the trick (those XML files are too hard to understand and edit, so I decided to do a trial and throw them away and that worked! :p )
  • Did a lot of photoshopping to generate the required icons, resizing them and properly aligning them.
  • Using raster images also resulted in automatic removal of the annoying exclamation marks which were defined in the vector XMLs.
  • I also removed the network activity indicators' vector references and replaced them with 1x1 transparent PNG images! Now they are invisible! :p

The icons are originally from a Nexus device's stock LP. Had to resize and re-align them for our Moto E which is hdpi unlike Nexus.

That's it :)

Last edited:

nilanko

Jun 2, 2014
New Delhi
Will it work with Cm12.1 ?
btw thanks for that! i ssly needed this..haha

If CM12.1's systemUI file is different, then probably it won't but there is no harm in trying, you can always backup the original and restore later. You'll face a systemUI FC if it doesn't work, then you'll have to reboot to recovery to restore your backup.

If you have already downloaded, please re-download the fixed file (fixed some icons alignment problems, now it's perfect :) ).

I haven't yet moved to CM12.1 as I can't live without xposed :p

Reactions: ChaTy

ChaTy

Jan 13, 2013
Mumbai
www.technogeekzindia.com
If CM12.1's systemUI file is different, then probably it won't but there is no harm in trying, you can always backup the original and restore later. You'll face a systemUI FC if it doesn't work, then you'll have to reboot to recovery to restore your backup.

If you have already downloaded, please re-download the fixed file (fixed some icons alignment problems, now it's perfect :) ).

Finalbc .... Lol ...ohk ...will try n report!

Sent from my Moto E using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

Naah! System ui stops... doesnt work on 5.1 aka cm12.1 ,
@op can u plz make a zip for cm12.1?

nilanko

Jun 2, 2014
New Delhi
Finalbc .... Lol ...ohk ...will try n report!

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

Naah! System ui stops... doesnt work on 5.1 aka cm12.1 ,
@op can u plz make a zip for cm12.1?

Seems like you understood the mystery behind the file name and also understood my frustration (had to edit, decompile and recompile a hell lot of times, and hence the file name) :p

I wanted to change the filename before uploading but I forgot, lol. :silly:

Give me your SystemUI.apk and I'll do it :)

nilanko

Jun 2, 2014
New Delhi
@nilanko
My systemui.apk build 19/04 cm12.1. max compression used:)

Ugh sorry I forgot to mention that I also need framework-res.apk from /system/framework/ because apktool needs resource tables from the framework in order to decompile the systemUI.apk. I tried with CM12's framework-res.apk but as expected, it didn't work :(

Please ZIP and upload that file but since it is a large file, I won't be able to download it until my wifi works so please be patient :D

But I still can't guarantee, success only depends on the ability to decompile LP 5.1 files by apktool.

mepsilon2

Feb 20, 2015
Mumbai
Ugh sorry I forgot to mention that I also need framework-res.apk from /system/framework/ because apktool needs resource tables from the framework in order to decompile the systemUI.apk. I tried with CM12's framework-res.apk but as expected, it didn't work :(

Please ZIP and upload that file but since it is a large file, I won't be able to download it until my wifi works so please be patient :D

But I still can't guarantee, success only depends on the ability to decompile LP 5.1 files by apktool.
here
orig. size was 17 mb;)

Attachments

• framework-res.apk.rar
    5.6 MB · Views: 23

nilanko

Jun 2, 2014
New Delhi

here
orig. size was 17 mb;)

Here you go: View attachment cm-latest.zip

Please note that I have used the latest apktool for LP 5.1 but it's still in alpha stage. Although files were successfully decompiled and recompiled, there is no guarantee that the systemUI would work. Please test it on your CM12.1 and report back.

Please make a backup of your systemUI.apk. If you face FC, go to recovery and copy it back to /system/priv-app/SystemUI/ and set chmod to 0644 and reboot.

Reactions: mepsilon2

mepsilon2

Feb 20, 2015
Mumbai
Here you go: View attachment 3270867

Please note that I have used the latest apktool for LP 5.1 but it's still in alpha stage. Although files were successfully decompiled and recompiled, there is no guarantee that the systemUI would work. Please test it on your CM12.1 and report back.

Please make a backup of your systemUI.apk. If you face FC, go to recovery and copy it back to /system/priv-app/SystemUI/ and set chmod to 0644 and reboot.
It works !!!
also if you have time please update the op on how to do this.

ChaTy

Jan 13, 2013
Mumbai
www.technogeekzindia.com
Seems like you understood the mystery behind the file name and also understood my frustration (had to edit, decompile and recompile a hell lot of times, and hence the file name) :p

I wanted to change the filename before uploading but I forgot, lol. :silly:

Give me your SystemUI.apk and I'll do it :)

Hahah, yep i got the irony behind the name :)

And thanks for quick response, i ll flash the zip, thanks a ton!

nilanko

Jun 2, 2014
New Delhi
Great bro!!
Finally you were able to solve it.

Yup. Frustration leads to success :p

It works !!!

Alright. Stay tuned! Glad it worked. Also, please confirm if all the 5 modifications mentioned in the OP is there or not. I wanna make sure I didn't miss anything :)

Yeah sure! And yeah, it's an Indian thing :p

sjash619

Dec 5, 2013
Tarakeswar
can you please change potrait battery icon its too wide in cm 12.1 comapare to soak test 5.0.2... :) i attched two screenshots one from soak 5.0.2 and cm 12.1 for battery icon comparrison.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-02-20-18-18-26.png
    Screenshot_2015-02-20-18-18-26.png
    60.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Screenshot_2015-04-19-22-38-29.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-19-22-38-29.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

nilanko

Jun 2, 2014
New Delhi
can you please change potrait battery icon its too wide in cm 12.1 comapare to soak test 5.0.2... :) i attched two screenshots one from soak 5.0.2 and cm 12.1 for battery icon comparrison.

Yeah I know that. Infact, the CM's ugly battery icon was the starting point of my frustration that led me to modify other icons. I attempted modifying the battery icon but it's damn tricky. It resides in the framework-res.apk and I don't understand what to edit and what not. I was unsuccessful and thus adjusted myself with the circle battery icon. I'm sorry, it's a bit too hard for me :(

Last edited:

sjash619

Dec 5, 2013
Tarakeswar
Yeah I know that. Infact, the CM's ugly battery icon was the starting point of my frustration that led me to modify other icons. I attempted to modify the battery icon but it's damn tricky. It resides in the framework-res.apk and I don't understand what to edit and what not. I was unsuccessful and thus adjusted myself with the circle battery icon. I'm sorry, it's a bit too hard for me :(
ok...bro no problem.....btw nice work (y)

Reactions: nilanko

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hello guys :D

For those users who hate those little grey network activity indicators over wifi and signal icons in CM12 and CM12.1, here's a treat for you!

I have modified the SystemUI.apk and implemented the following changes:

1. Network activity indicators have been removed!
    2. Spacing between the dual SIM signal indicators has been increased slightly and thus they appear better than the original look where both the indicators almost touch each other.
    3. Signal icons are a bit bigger (than the original small ones which look too small besides the battery icon).
    4. The CM's ugly extra-wide wifi icon has been replaced with the original, sleek and elegant wifi icon from Motorola.
    5. Annoying exclamation marks have also been removed!

Original CM look, click to enlarge:

attachment.jpg

Modified new look, click to enlarge:

imupload.jpg

I have flashable ZIPs for you which you can simply flash from your custom recovery and your SystemUI.apk will be replaced. Please make a backup of the original file located at /system/priv-app/SystemUI/SystemUI.apk. The original file permissions are rw- r-- r-- and chown root:root.

Please note that this file will only work on Moto E XT1022 and most probably other variants as well, you can try, but backup the original before you do so. I will not be responsible for any thermo-nuclear war taking place on your device after this :laugh:

I generally never ask for thanks, but this time I would like to because it was a lot of work :silly: :p

Download:

Enjoy :victory:

How did I do it:

• Decompiled SystemUI.apk
    • Lollipop uses vectors to draw the status bar icons you see on the top right, means there's no png you can simply replace and get your work done.
    • I totally removed the vectors references of the required icons and placed raster images in the required resolution folder (Moto E is an hdpi device). When systemUI can't find vectors, it looks for rasters. That did the trick (those XML files are too hard to understand and edit, so I decided to do a trial and throw them away and that worked! :p )
    • Did a lot of photoshopping to generate the required icons, resizing them and properly aligning them.
    • Using raster images also resulted in automatic removal of the annoying exclamation marks which were defined in the vector XMLs.
    • I also removed the network activity indicators' vector references and replaced them with 1x1 transparent PNG images! Now they are invisible! :p

The icons are originally from a Nexus device's stock LP. Had to resize and re-align them for our Moto E which is hdpi unlike Nexus.

That's it :)
    Great bro!!
    Finally you were able to solve it.

Yup. Frustration leads to success :p

It works !!!

Alright. Stay tuned! Glad it worked. Also, please confirm if all the 5 modifications mentioned in the OP is there or not. I wanna make sure I didn't miss anything :)

Yeah sure! And yeah, it's an Indian thing :p

here
    orig. size was 17 mb;)

Here you go: View attachment cm-latest.zip

Yeah I know that. Infact, the CM's ugly battery icon was the starting point of my frustration that led me to modify other icons. I attempted to modify the battery icon but it's damn tricky. It resides in the framework-res.apk and I don't understand what to edit and what not. I was unsuccessful and thus adjusted myself with the circle battery icon. I'm sorry, it's a bit too hard for me :(
    ok...bro no problem.....btw nice work (y)