5.1 for Moto g baked and served ; possibly marshmallow getting baked

Search This thread

MarckozZ

Jan 4, 2013
Argentina
Guys, this is getting worst every time... Just wait for that update to come! I started to see my Moto G as what it actually is: a phone! Another Android version won't do your phone better... Just grab a ROM if you want something better than stock firmware... Because I bet when the OTA comes, you will get bored of it and you will go again to CM12.1, won't you? :p

So this thread does not make much sense here...

vkk178

Feb 6, 2012
Bangalore
Samsung Galaxy S21 FE
Going by that statement there are many such threads which don't make sense ..It would be interesting to see if Motorola offers support for slightly older devices given that the firmware is almost pure android... Besides cm 12 doesn't seem to work well with dual Sim . Let's watch for few weeks and see how things pan out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Haggster66

Feb 23, 2013
yes, give us 5.1!

I got the xt1032-en-GB. Anybody who got their update for that one yet? For 5.0 there was a thread showing the OTA release status for all regional versions, it'd be great to have something like this as well for this release. I tapped the "check for updates" button a couple of times today, but it gave me an error saying that it cannot check for updates right now.

Whoever says that the Moto G community on XDA is the worst... it's the opposite... and we deserve our updates :) btw, I disagree with the statement saying that an update won't do our phones any better...after that catastrophic, bug-infested Android 5.0 release (which is not Motorola's fault) any update is more than welcome. Kitkat was supposed to make phones with low specs speedy due to reduced resource usage, so it's quite amusing that everybody keeps reporting that their phones slowed down on all post-jellybean releases. Let's see if this is finally changing again with this release - ART was supposed to speed everything up again, isn't it? (oh and CM is not an alternative...it's the Duke Nukem Forever of Android ROMs, at least on this phone (since I never tested it on any others); I've tried that self proclaimed bug-free official Moto G CM a year ago which was developed by that guy who left, but unfortunately it was a crash-prone mess)

Eurofighter_ty

Jul 3, 2014
Bucharest
The Costum ROMs are not better at all when it ciomes to bugs and performance and not say memory management. Motorola stock firmware with Android 5.0.2 is good with memory leak fixed the system has just 125 MB consumed and a free of 600 MB vs Costum ROM or GPE 300 MB consumed by sysem and 300 MB Free.If Motorola release Android 5.1.1 with the memory leak and memory management fixed like 5.0.2 then I would be the best Android version for Moto G till then the GPe version with xpirt mod pack is the best as I tested with battery life and performance.

and yes that memory leak is still not fixed in the AOSP branch of Android 5.1.1

I just hope that Motorola will release soon Android 5.1 not when Google is releasing Android M.

Reactions: itouchables

mokkami

Dec 28, 2009
Düsseldorf (DE)
No Idea about Moto G 1 gen.
But in India the Moto E 1 gen. gets 5.1.

MOTO E
Android 5.1, Lollipop, is now rolling out in phases.
Owners will receive a notification on their phones when they are able to update.

David Schuster, Motorola's Senior Director of Software Management, had recently stated on his Google+ account that most of the company's devices would skip the 5.0 update and instead jump directly to 5.1 Lollipop. According to David, the 2013 Moto X, the 2013 Moto G, the 4G Moto G and the Moto E would all be updated directly to Android 5.1 Lollipop instead of getting 5.0 first

Source

Last edited:

Haggster66

Feb 23, 2013
are there still people who have the xt1032 or has it become smth exotic by now? I'm still waiting for the update on mine (8GB, UK version). Getting the impression that lenovo has released too many different variants of this phone

Haggster66

Feb 23, 2013
That happens; there were a lot of devices who have been updated to 5.0.1 even though 5.0.2 or later was already out. Including Nexus devices.

So where is 5.1 for the XT1032 now?!

dhabsot

May 7, 2011
"I see a lot of questions about when/if Moto G (1st Gen) will be getting updated to 5.1. The answer is yes... we are working on it. I know you guys want dates but we have run into a few complications so as soon as timing becomes a little more clear I will post an update.

UPDATE: I will have more info on Moto E (1st Gen) next week.... "

Source:
Code:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DavidSchuster/posts/aRNEjUCEe77
(I am not allowed to post links)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since it seems you guys are having some doubts, I'll try to make this 5.1 update thing as clear as possible. I am currently running it on my XT1032 which was GPe 5.1 base before, so here it is:

First of all - what you'll need:

Motorola device manager for the drivers, or check here if you want them without the manager.

mfastboot-adb and related files http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3010160&d=1415723529

retail br firmware 5.0.2 - mirror

5.1 ota - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B05KOFwx05vaSkhWQ1BLb2FGSFE/edit

Download all four and extract the mfastboot and the retail firm files on the same folder. You can move the ota into the internal storage after flashing the firmware, since it's going to wipe your storage clean.

Now, about where you're standing before flashing this - if you were on 5.1 gpe base like me, bootloader should be 41.19 and you can flash the retail firm with the usual steps, no harm done (it will downgrade your boot to 41.18 and then the ota will update it without any issues to 41.1a)

If you are already on the latest 41.1a bootloader, I suggest you skip some steps when flashing the retail firmware, like I did when I flashed gpe.

So, let's get to it. Reboot the device in bootloader mode, open a cmd in the folder with the mfastboot and the firmware files, and type this if your bootloader is not 41.1a but an older one (like 41.19):

mfastboot flash partition gpt.bin
    mfastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
    mfastboot flash logo logo.bin
    mfastboot flash boot boot.img
    mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
    mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
    mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
    mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3
    mfastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    mfastboot erase modemst1
    mfastboot erase modemst2
    mfastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
    mfastboot erase cache
    mfastboot erase userdata
    mfastboot reboot
    This'll leave you in retail br firmware 5.0.2, everything wiped (you have been warned), and with a 41.18 boot. Now, you can either wait for the ota, or reboot in recovery mode (to enter it, hold power button for about three secs, then press vol up button) and apply it via adb or sdcard (flashing takes some time, don't worry).

Now, if you have the latest 41.1a, here's what I would do (bear in mind this is experimental and I have not tried this method):

mfastboot flash logo logo.bin
    mfastboot flash boot boot.img
    mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
    mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
    mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
    mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3
    mfastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    mfastboot erase modemst1
    mfastboot erase modemst2
    mfastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
    mfastboot erase cache
    mfastboot erase userdata
    mfastboot reboot
    Chances are you will now be at 5.0.2 firm and the only 'issue' you're going to face is the screen flickering one (and maybe not even that); apply the ota or wait for it. Should have no problems with the boot or gpt when flashing it.

Last but not least, here are the commands I used to make a factory reset once I got to 5.1:

mfastboot erase cache
    mfastboot erase userdata
    mfastboot reboot
    Again, everything takes some time to boot after done, so don't panic. Also, afaik this is only for xt1032, and that's also the device I own, but if you try and succeed on other variants do tell.

And thanks to the authors from which I have gathered either info or links, none of this is mine. Good luck!
    Latest rumors are that 5.1.1 for Moto G 1st gen would be released by end of June. This thread is created to track news about 5.1.1 and future issues with this release .

EDIT :
    Looks like we are getting the 5.1 and not 5.1.1 as thought .
    India Soak test available here Link .I think it should be the same for Asia
    FYI, Motorola just released the 5.1.1 kernel source for falcon (1st gen Moto G) here: https://github.com/MotorolaMobilityLLC/kernel-msm/tree/lollipop-5.1.1-release-falcon

I always thought they usually released kernel sources way after the OTAs, but I guess not in this case. Either way, it must be ready to go.

That is pretty big news actually. I believe the other generation moto g's (not the latest ones) only had 5.1, so this probably confirms we are getting 5.1.1 which is great!
    FYI, Motorola just released the 5.1.1 kernel source for falcon (1st gen Moto G) here: https://github.com/MotorolaMobilityLLC/kernel-msm/tree/lollipop-5.1.1-release-falcon

I always thought they usually released kernel sources way after the OTAs, but I guess not in this case. Either way, it must be ready to go.
    I got an email 2-3 days from Motorola back asking me to register to soak test a new ROM update for my Indian XT1033 Moto G.
    I'm on CM 12.1, so I didn't bother replying to the mail.
    Have patience, our XT1033's are going to receive an update pretty soon.