Headphones Volume Increase for CM11 or KitKat based CM

Search This thread

OldYellowBricks

Aug 31, 2012
TO USE THIS MOD, I NEED ALL OF YOU TO USE FX FILE EXPLORER AND ITS FILE EDITOR TO EDIT THE MIXER_PATH FILE. MULTIPLE USERS HAVE REPORTED ERRORS WHEN THEY USE OTHER FILE MANAGERS. I HAVE TESTED THIS ON CM11, GUMMY, MOKEE, AND CR-DROID AND IT WORKS...BUT I DIDN'T HAVE ANY AUDIOMOD ENABLED LIKE VIPER4A. I DONT LIKE HAVING AUDIOMODS SO IF THEY KINDA HAVE CONFLICTS WITH AUDIOMODS I WILL NOT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

I HAVE TESTED VALUES UP TO 30 AND!!!!! 20 IS THE MAXIMUM! GOING OVER 20 MAKES THE SOUND VOLUME LOWER FOR WHATEVER REASON SO SPARE THE EFFORT. FOR THE LATEST XPERIENCE KERNEL, DO NOT GO BEYOND 14 PLEASE, OR ELSE IT WONT WORK WITH FAUXSOUND. THANKS.

(OKY YOU MUST BE ROOTED BLA BLA BLA BLA HAVE A FILEXPLORER THAT CAN ROOT EXPLORE BLA BLA BLA)

now starting
1- open the explorer and got to /system/etc/
2- scroll down till u find this file mixer_paths.xml and open it as text (ES File)
3- now scroll down till u find this line <!-- These are actual sound device specific mixer settings -->
under it look for this

<path name="headphones">
<ctl name="SLIM RX1 MUX" value="AIF1_PB" />
<ctl name="SLIM RX2 MUX" value="AIF1_PB" />
<ctl name="SLIM_0_RX Channels" value="Two" />
<ctl name="RX1 MIX1 INP1" value="RX1" />
<ctl name="RX2 MIX1 INP1" value="RX2" />
<ctl name="CLASS_H_DSM MUX" value="DSM_HPHL_RX1" />
<ctl name="HPHL DAC Switch" value="1" />
<ctl name="RX1 Digital Volume" value="58" />
<ctl name="RX2 Digital Volume" value="58" />
<ctl name="HPHL Volume" value="11" />
<ctl name="HPHR Volume" value="11" />

CHANGE THE BOLDED VALUES TO ANYTHING THATS NOT OVER 20. YOU CAN PUT 20 FOR MAXIMUM GAIN. DONT CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE PLS. DONT CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE. AFTER CHANGING, REBOOT AND YOU WILL NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE WHEN YOU PLAY MUSIC VIA HEADPHONES. REMEMBER, AFTER MAKING THE CHANGES, SAVE.

SOURCE: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2583408

UPDATE!!!
EVERYONE! STOCK ROM and OMNI ROM CAN USE THIS CONFIG TOO, AND CAN GO UP TO 30! (BUT NOT CM AND ITS DERIVATIVES IE THE ROMS AT THE BEGINING OF THIS POST..STILL MAX 20) REMEMBER TO SAVE DEFAULT VALUES IN CASE YOU NEED TO CHANGE EM' BACK!

Last edited:

hottu_doggu

Jul 16, 2014
Causes music player fc and no sound at all on my Gummy ROM with furnace 1.3.1 but I will keep trying :D Low headphone volume has been my only complaint about custom roms but I'm glad the issue is getting recognized and solutions start to come up. Thank you!

Update: Flashed a fresh new gummy, did this trick and now it works! There are a few very minor derps with V4A but it's totally bearable :D
Xavier, you should save when you make the change.

Last edited:

OldYellowBricks

Aug 31, 2012
Causes music player fc and no sound at all on my Gummy ROM with furnace 1.3.1 but I will keep trying :D Low headphone volume has been my only complaint about custom roms but I'm glad the issue is getting recognized and solutions start to come up. Thank you!

Update: Flashed a fresh new gummy, did this trick and now it works! There are a few very minor derps with V4A but it's totally bearable :D

I prefer sound to be stock EQ wise, but hey, to each and their own! well for me this solution beats having to fork out money to use that fauxsound app that in turn has to be used with kernels with that support that thing

Reactions: hottu_doggu

hottu_doggu

Jul 16, 2014
I prefer sound to be stock EQ wise, but hey, to each and their own! well for me this solution beats having to fork out money to use that fauxsound app that in turn has to be used with kernels with that support that thing

Editing mixer_paths.xml turned up the volume but the sound quality seemed worse. I read your post and just got FauxSound since it was really cheap and flashed xperience kernel. It does a great job at boosting the volume. What's interesting is that analog output gain defaults to -6. Setting it to 0 (tough you can set it to +6) makes it so much better and louder without affecting the quality. Why is it so that no custom rom's kernel have this feature or the analog output set to 0 or whatever the stock rom is using? I feel like we should be able to have MotoG's stock sound volume on custom roms without having to flash custom kernel and buying any apps. I'm not complaining, I have this issue solved for me, I'm just curious.

Reactions: OldYellowBricks

OldYellowBricks

Aug 31, 2012
Editing mixer_paths.xml turned up the volume but the sound quality seemed worse. I read your post and just got FauxSound since it was really cheap and flashed xperience kernel. It does a great job at boosting the volume. What's interesting is that analog output gain defaults to -6. Setting it to 0 (tough you can set it to +6) makes it so much better and louder without affecting the quality. Why is it so that no custom rom's kernel have this feature or the analog output set to 0 or whatever the stock rom is using? I feel like we should be able to have MotoG's stock sound volume on custom roms without having to flash custom kernel and buying any apps. I'm not complaining, I have this issue solved for me, I'm just curious.

I Swear dog, i feel you, but on my side, there's no quality distortion of any sort. I changed to CM and then Gummy because there was this Moto G stock rom bug where speakers wouldn;t work after unplugging headphones (you'd have to reboot). Google that up. The problem I had wit the faux app was the settings wouldn;t stick after booting. That drove me crazy up until i found this solution, but hey, to each and their own. Thanks for sharing, man :)

OldYellowBricks

Aug 31, 2012

and, by right, the faux settings should be able to be modded via init.d scripts but after googling, I found out that the fauxsound thing has been coded to not allow init.d. It needs the app. In other words, no app, no fauxsound settings.

OldYellowBricks

Aug 31, 2012

and tbh, i do admit that the fauxsound tweaks (volume boost wise) do sound maybe 20% better compared to this thing over here

justin1221

May 11, 2014
St. Louis
and, by right, the faux settings should be able to be modded via init.d scripts but after googling, I found out that the fauxsound thing has been coded to not allow init.d. It needs the app. In other words, no app, no fauxsound settings.
Not true. I use init.d scripts to mod my faux sound settings. [emoji6] and they work flawlessly.

Moto.G_XT1031_CrDroid.B10_Furnace.1.3.1

woozie.2007

Oct 16, 2008
on mixer_paths.xml i put the value 30 and its amazing sound, loud and clear...and the bass? wooow!!!! thanks man

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TO USE THIS MOD, I NEED ALL OF YOU TO USE FX FILE EXPLORER AND ITS FILE EDITOR TO EDIT THE MIXER_PATH FILE. MULTIPLE USERS HAVE REPORTED ERRORS WHEN THEY USE OTHER FILE MANAGERS. I HAVE TESTED THIS ON CM11, GUMMY, MOKEE, AND CR-DROID AND IT WORKS...BUT I DIDN'T HAVE ANY AUDIOMOD ENABLED LIKE VIPER4A. I DONT LIKE HAVING AUDIOMODS SO IF THEY KINDA HAVE CONFLICTS WITH AUDIOMODS I WILL NOT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

I HAVE TESTED VALUES UP TO 30 AND!!!!! 20 IS THE MAXIMUM! GOING OVER 20 MAKES THE SOUND VOLUME LOWER FOR WHATEVER REASON SO SPARE THE EFFORT. FOR THE LATEST XPERIENCE KERNEL, DO NOT GO BEYOND 14 PLEASE, OR ELSE IT WONT WORK WITH FAUXSOUND. THANKS.

(OKY YOU MUST BE ROOTED BLA BLA BLA BLA HAVE A FILEXPLORER THAT CAN ROOT EXPLORE BLA BLA BLA)

now starting
    1- open the explorer and got to /system/etc/
    2- scroll down till u find this file mixer_paths.xml and open it as text (ES File)
    3- now scroll down till u find this line <!-- These are actual sound device specific mixer settings -->
    under it look for this

<path name="headphones">
    <ctl name="SLIM RX1 MUX" value="AIF1_PB" />
    <ctl name="SLIM RX2 MUX" value="AIF1_PB" />
    <ctl name="SLIM_0_RX Channels" value="Two" />
    <ctl name="RX1 MIX1 INP1" value="RX1" />
    <ctl name="RX2 MIX1 INP1" value="RX2" />
    <ctl name="CLASS_H_DSM MUX" value="DSM_HPHL_RX1" />
    <ctl name="HPHL DAC Switch" value="1" />
    <ctl name="RX1 Digital Volume" value="58" />
    <ctl name="RX2 Digital Volume" value="58" />
    <ctl name="HPHL Volume" value="11" />
    <ctl name="HPHR Volume" value="11" />

CHANGE THE BOLDED VALUES TO ANYTHING THATS NOT OVER 20. YOU CAN PUT 20 FOR MAXIMUM GAIN. DONT CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE PLS. DONT CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE. AFTER CHANGING, REBOOT AND YOU WILL NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE WHEN YOU PLAY MUSIC VIA HEADPHONES. REMEMBER, AFTER MAKING THE CHANGES, SAVE.

SOURCE: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2583408

UPDATE!!!
    EVERYONE! STOCK ROM and OMNI ROM CAN USE THIS CONFIG TOO, AND CAN GO UP TO 30! (BUT NOT CM AND ITS DERIVATIVES IE THE ROMS AT THE BEGINING OF THIS POST..STILL MAX 20) REMEMBER TO SAVE DEFAULT VALUES IN CASE YOU NEED TO CHANGE EM' BACK!
    At least we have V4A... Which is a godsend cuz I send 4 hours a day on the bus listening to music. [emoji4]

Moto.G_XT1031_CrDroid.19

Hey want to know something sweet. Running stock deodex root 4.4.4. With viper4 highest sound set up and sound hack. I have to text now because I can't hear anymore!
    This numbers are weird... I flashed 'Unofficial CyanogenMod 11 by rudi_j7' and it had decent volume right out of the box. I don't really remember how it was on stock, but I guess it's just about the same. Being the music junkie, I naturally reached for what I learned from this thread.

I'll share the first part of the story in case someone else face the same problem... At first attempt CM File Manager text editor failed to save mixer_paths.xml and it messed it up completely, cutting off most of the file. No sound at all was coming out of the phone after that. I extracted the file from rom zip, copied it to system/etc, changed permissions and from there continue editing it on PC and copying again.

Changing to 20 gave lower volume than 11 :confused:, so I reached for 30 and that was f-ing awesome :highfive:.
    So, I don't know what is going on with those numbers, but I had the same experience with Omni and CM. Both where bad at 20 and great at 30.

Oh, and another thing... I think it should be made official XDA rule to write every OP in all caps, with text as large as possible and as red as possible. It really makes it so much easier to read :silly:

yea I noticed some variations of working values/numbers. I hope you weren't sarcastic on the red text and all haha. Had the op on large texts and all to make people actually read the "catching instruction" to be honest. I get really freaked out when think of missing a step when modding and stuff, so i had to make sure that for the OP to have ummmmm un..missable....steps/instruction on it haha.

another thing, im on crdroid build 16 running XPERIENCE kernel and the values only go up to 14, or else the volume boggs down. Pretty weird tbh. Ill try 30 in a bit. And about the file not saving properly, users have said that it happens with certain file explorers/editors. So youre not alone on that. Whatever it is, glad it worked out for you.
    This numbers are weird... I flashed 'Unofficial CyanogenMod 11 by rudi_j7' and it had decent volume right out of the box. I don't really remember how it was on stock, but I guess it's just about the same. Being the music junkie, I naturally reached for what I learned from this thread.

I'll share the first part of the story in case someone else face the same problem... At first attempt CM File Manager text editor failed to save mixer_paths.xml and it messed it up completely, cutting off most of the file. No sound at all was coming out of the phone after that. I extracted the file from rom zip, copied it to system/etc, changed permissions and from there continue editing it on PC and copying again.

Changing to 20 gave lower volume than 11 :confused:, so I reached for 30 and that was f-ing awesome :highfive:.
    So, I don't know what is going on with those numbers, but I had the same experience with Omni and CM. Both where bad at 20 and great at 30.

Oh, and another thing... I think it should be made official XDA rule to write every OP in all caps, with text as large as possible and as red as possible. It really makes it so much easier to read :silly: