Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,375 Members 45,209 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Newb-Friendly Guide to Rooting Moto G 4G LTE(peregrine)

Tip us?

NWKENT
Old
(Last edited by NWKENT; 8th July 2014 at 04:13 AM.)
Thanks Meter 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensen2112 View Post
I have the Moto G 4G LTE XT1045. This file is from the other Moto G, the original one (falcon). Doing this in my phone will not brick it?
Note for the new ones here:

XT1045 is code name "peregrine" the other Moto G's, with exception of the UK, and probably other 4G LTE..All other models are code name "falcon"..the two are NOT compatible..

Moto X code name is "ghost"
Droid Maxx code name is "obake"

The above mentioned are NOT interchangeable.. (UNLESS) you are a Dev and experienced in Porting..

Sent from my 4.4.3_21.23.4
(Unlocked) XT1045 Moto G 4G LTE
http://waynekent.com/page6.html

Sleepy!
Old
Thanks Meter 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWKENT View Post
Note for the new ones here:

XT1045 is code name "peregrine" the other Moto G's, with exception of the UK, and probably other 4G LTE..All other models are code name "falcon"..the two are NOT compatible..

Moto X code name is "ghost"
Droid Maxx code name is "obake"

The above mentioned are NOT interchangeable.. (UNLESS) you are a Dev and experienced in Porting..

Sent from my 4.4.3_21.23.4
(Unlocked) XT1045 Moto G 4G LTE
http://waynekent.com/page6.html
XT1039 is Peregrene as well.

Sent from my HTC Sensation on CM10.1
Chi Delta Alpha ΧΔΑ Frat House

HTC Sensation 4G (CM10.1)
Motorola Defy+ (Quarx CM10.1)
Nook Simple Touch (rooted)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sleepy! For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Viqsi
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensen2112 View Post
I have the Moto G 4G LTE XT1045. This file is from the other Moto G, the original one (falcon). Doing this in my phone will not brick it?
So far as I can tell, no. The command being used with that image is "fastboot boot", not "fastboot flash". The former is (so far as I can tell) a "download this image and use it to boot once" command; it (if I'm reading correctly) wouldn't actually overwrite the recovery on your phone. The latter, OTOH, would surely overwrite your recovery, and would probably be ill-advised here (judging by some other posts, the OP gave it a try and subsequently recovery on the OP's phone stopped working).

So unless that recovery image is so horribly broken that even just booting with it will release the magic smoke (unlikely, as I doubt TeamWin would release it in that state ), I suspect it'd be fine. Probably. Just make sure you get the command right!

DISCLAIMER: I'm not actually fully familiar with fastboot myself, but I've worked with similar utilities on similar devices before (in particular, for my old Nokia N900). Have seen similar distinctions between "use this image this one time only" and "flash this image to the device and use it", though, so I'm feeling good about what amounts to an educated guess here.

vpnair
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Fully working CWM Recovery (Unofficial) Now Available Here for Moto G 4G/LTE. ie. can 'fastboot flash' this version.
Sony Ericsson K300i --> Sony Ericsson w910i --> Samsung Omnia II GT-I8000 -> SGS1 I9000 --> HTC One X --> SGS4 i9505 --> Motorola G XT1032 --> Motorola G 4G XT1039

Guardian29
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hey guys so I did this fully, seemed to work, but when I go back and launch bootloader and try to run recovery it says "boot failed"

Initially I installed SuperSU through TWRP like stated and functions, but I feel like I dont actually have a recovery installed..?

jensen2112
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
So far as I can tell, no. The command being used with that image is "fastboot boot", not "fastboot flash". The former is (so far as I can tell) a "download this image and use it to boot once" command; it (if I'm reading correctly) wouldn't actually overwrite the recovery on your phone. The latter, OTOH, would surely overwrite your recovery, and would probably be ill-advised here (judging by some other posts, the OP gave it a try and subsequently recovery on the OP's phone stopped working).

So unless that recovery image is so horribly broken that even just booting with it will release the magic smoke (unlikely, as I doubt TeamWin would release it in that state ), I suspect it'd be fine. Probably. Just make sure you get the command right!

DISCLAIMER: I'm not actually fully familiar with fastboot myself, but I've worked with similar utilities on similar devices before (in particular, for my old Nokia N900). Have seen similar distinctions between "use this image this one time only" and "flash this image to the device and use it", though, so I'm feeling good about what amounts to an educated guess here.
Thanks. I notice that once I did the process. "fastboot boot" only boot the device, it don't flash anything. In my case I only want the root, this works perfectly for me.