Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,401 Members 38,899 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Newb-Friendly Guide to Rooting Moto G 4G LTE(peregrine)

Tip us?

Brian D
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpnair View Post
fastboot boot --> temporary boot from computer, no files modified on device
fastboot flash --> files are modified on device

This thread (OLD) --> The recovery for this thread is actually for Moto G (falcon). Do NOT fastboot flash. Only fastboot boot works. It was useful for installing SuperSu and gaining root (but you couldn't boot into custom recovery again without computer as it remained stock recovery)

Moto G 4G Development Thread on CWM, TWRP and PhilZ recovery (NEW) --> These are the unofficial Moto G 4G (peregrine) TWRP, CWM, and PhilZ recovery. Droidviews has done a nice guide on how to 'Fastboot flash' the TWRP. But you can do it for CWM, or Philz recovery too. Whichever you prefer! You can then install SuperSU and reboot into recovery at any time to install/backup/restore etc with recovery. I recommended this.
Thanks, so the simple answer is to

fastboot falsh twrp-2.7.1.0-peregrine-201407161845.img (based on the info in this TWRP thread.)

and I should be good to go. There seems to be too much information that also seems to be outdated (as you mentioned).

vpnair
Old
Thanks Meter 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian D View Post
Thanks, so the simple answer is to

fastboot falsh twrp-2.7.1.0-peregrine-201407161845.img (based on the info in this TWRP thread.)

and I should be good to go. There seems to be too much information that also seems to be outdated (as you mentioned).
Nearly Correct. Dont forget to add 'recovery' before the recovery's file name - you are asking fastboot to flash the recovery section of your phone. Ive edited my previous response to include links to other recoveries. So choose any you like.

Fastboot flash recovery The-recovery-file-name.img

All okay? Let me know if you need further help. Yeah this is outdated. Usually newer information will come to the front page.
Sony Ericsson K300i --> Sony Ericsson w910i --> Samsung Omnia II GT-I8000 -> SGS1 I9000 --> HTC One X --> SGS4 i9505 --> Motorola G XT1032 --> Motorola G 4G XT1039

Brian D
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Nearly Correct. Dont forget to add 'recovery' before the recovery's file name - you are asking fastboot to flash the recovery section of your phone. Ive edited my previous response to include links to other recoveries. So choose any you like.

Fastboot flash recovery The-recovery-file-name.img
Thank you!

spatuluk
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bezoomny View Post
But what is the newbiest way to remove root, install 4.4.4 update.
And return to root. I tried using the supersu app to un-root but it didn't work.
I need to do the same.

SuperSU's unroot option didn't work, and doing a factory reset didn't work either.

I guess the only option left is to flash a stock ROM, which is a shame because I was trying to avoid flashing any ROMs (I've had bad experiences).

spatuluk
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I bit the bullet and flashed a stock firmware using this thread.

I already had the Motorola drivers and adb installed from rooting the phone previously (I installed adb using the 15 second adb installer, so the adb and fastboot commands work from anywhere)
  • Download stock firmware for the phone from this thread (For my UK XT1039, I used Android 4.4.3 (Retail EU) KXB21.14-L1.31).
  • Extract the zipped firmware to the hard drive.
  • Open a command prompt and change directory to the extracted firmware location.
  • Reboot the phone into bootloader mode (turn off, hold volume down, tap power).
  • Plug in the USB.
  • Execute these commands in the command prompt to flash the firmware (it might work as a script, if you paste it into a .bat file. I preferred to do it line by line, in case an error occurred):
Code:
Select Code
fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
fastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
fastboot flash logo logo.bin
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot reboot
That's it, and it worked - it let me do an OTA update to 4.4.4. I suppose I could've done that by choosing a 4.4.4 firmware, but meh.

Naturally, my class 10 memory card STILL doesn't work.
The Following User Says Thank You to spatuluk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bezoomny
Old
(Last edited by bezoomny; Yesterday at 12:58 PM.) Reason: update
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks I will give it a try.

update:
Got it working I installed CWM recovery and flashed the rom you linked to.
It converted from GB to EU rom with no problem. didnt loose ant data or root.

vpnair
Old
(Last edited by vpnair; Yesterday at 06:38 AM.)
Thanks Meter 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by spatuluk View Post
I bit the bullet and flashed a stock firmware using this thread.

I already had the Motorola drivers and adb installed from rooting the phone previously (I installed adb using the 15 second adb installer, so the adb and fastboot commands work from anywhere)
  • Download stock firmware for the phone from this thread (For my UK XT1039, I used Android 4.4.3 (Retail EU) KXB21.14-L1.31).
  • Extract the zipped firmware to the hard drive.
  • Open a command prompt and change directory to the extracted firmware location.
  • Reboot the phone into bootloader mode (turn off, hold volume down, tap power).
  • Plug in the USB.
  • Execute these commands in the command prompt to flash the firmware (it might work as a script, if you paste it into a .bat file. I preferred to do it line by line, in case an error occurred):
Code:
Select Code
fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
fastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
fastboot flash logo logo.bin
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot reboot
That's it, and it worked - it let me do an OTA update to 4.4.4. I suppose I could've done that by choosing a 4.4.4 firmware, but meh.

Naturally, my class 10 memory card STILL doesn't work.
I didn't remove root before installing OTA. But I updated my EU version, and I only needed to reverse any modifications to /system partition and just flashed the system.img chunks in fastboot (without needing to reflash the modem, and erasing any data). (sounds like you converted en.UK to en.EU )

Or, like you said, if you have a custom recovery, you can just flash a 4.4.4 firmware.
Sony Ericsson K300i --> Sony Ericsson w910i --> Samsung Omnia II GT-I8000 -> SGS1 I9000 --> HTC One X --> SGS4 i9505 --> Motorola G XT1032 --> Motorola G 4G XT1039
The Following User Says Thank You to vpnair For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

spatuluk
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
I didn't remove root before installing OTA. But I updated my EU version, and I only needed to reverse any modifications to /system partition and just flashed the system.img chunks in fastboot (without needing to reflash the modem, and erasing any data). (sounds like you converted en.UK to en.EU )
I'm not an EU sceptic.
Good to know for the next time! I was getting fed up by that point, and just wanted it over with.