Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,468 Members 37,293 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Switch to ART and back to Dalvik

Tip us?

MeltingSnowman
Old
(Last edited by MeltingSnowman; 13th August 2014 at 01:02 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Hello everyone, as the title says I'd like to test out the ART runtime and maybe switch back to Dalvik if I need it. Since I've never done it would be nice to gather some feedbacks from you guys. Also I don't know if doing all of this switch will leave some junk in the memory. Thank you!

P.S. I asked in the worng section, sorry. Someone could move the post in the Q&A?

DenisF
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I went back and forth between the two on a few kitkat phones (inc. G GPE) with no issues really.

there was an issue with some version of Flipboard which would bootloop your device if on ART, think its solved by now, not sure though.
The Following User Says Thank You to DenisF For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dorwoo
Old
Thanks Meter 83
Better stay with dalvik for now we will switch to art once we get L.
The Following User Says Thank You to dorwoo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

unknownemous
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Tried both . Could not find any noticeable difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to unknownemous For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PomstaZLesa
Old
Thanks Meter 2
when I switched to art, i noticed it takes more ram, about 100MB more or less. although, I never noticed any performance change, positive nor negative, only slightly longer battery. i think i still have problems with google hangout using as default SMS app but not sure if it is because of ART, it might be. as I said, almost no difference except of slightly longer battery and not working hanouts as SMS[which I didn't like in the first place]
The Following User Says Thank You to PomstaZLesa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MeltingSnowman
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
I'm using a few apps and according to this site: http://www.androidruntime.com/list none of them are reported to not work on ART. Thanks to anyone for the fast replies. I'll give you feebacks when I give it a shot.

Smokey Mc Pot
Old
(Last edited by Smokey Mc Pot; 14th August 2014 at 01:55 AM.)
Thanks Meter 65
I'm using ART on my phone as default.
The only problem I ever had with ART, was the incompatibility with "Facebook Beta" apart from that, in my experience my phone is more responsive on ART than it is with Dalvik.

MeanDroid
The Following User Says Thank You to Smokey Mc Pot For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

NewP500
Old
Thanks Meter 0
In ART i could not move apps to SD. Now back to Dalvik it is possible again.

tohema
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default No Differance

i was running on Dalvik on 4.4.2 and once i updated to 4.4.4 , i reset my Phone and changed to ART, i did not find any reason till now to switch back to Dalvik, although i did not find any noticeable Speed improvement or Better battery life. no force closes except 2-3 times with Subway surfers in this 2 months.
My Devices :
Moto G
Samsung Galaxy S3
Sony Xperia U
Samsung Galaxy SL
The Following User Says Thank You to tohema For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

neucoas
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I swiched to ART as soon as i got 4.4, didnt fine any difference

The Following User Says Thank You to neucoas For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]