Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[TUTORIAL][GUIDE][HOW TO] Backup & Restore sdcard and apps with data (21/06/2014)

OP Mr hOaX

21st June 2014, 07:25 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,703

502 posts
Hi guys,

I present here with small tutorial to backup your sdcard and your applications with their data. For this you'll required to know adb commands which I've posted in Moto G Index thread which can be found here. (I've too referred it and learnt about this process. Even you can create many more if you are crazy like me )

Backing up sdcard and your applications with their data is essentially process to keep them safe in case something goes wrong with your phone and need to be wiped.

I know that there are lot of other third party apps like Titanium Backup, Helium etc which are available in Google Play Store which can do this task.

But this method is safe, easy, reliable and works on stock and rooted devices.

Before starting, you need to download the zip which is attached in this post or you can also download Android SDK and install it on you PC and work on this commands.

Now, Go to Settings --> Developer options --> Check "usb debugging".
Connect your device to pc.

Backup & Restore sdcard

Backup :

Open a command prompt (shift + mouse right click) in "sdk platform" or in the folder downloaded from here, and type

Code:
adb devices
Press ENTER Key. You must see your device serial number. If you don't see it, probably your device drivers are not installed properly on your PC.

Now type

Code:
adb pull /sdcard/ /sdcard/
This command will pull your sdcard (not move or cut) to "c" directory under "sdcard" folder.
This process may take time depending upon the size of your sdcard. Please don't abort it until finishing.

Restore :

Open a command prompt (shift + mouse right click) in "sdk platform" or in the folder downloaded from here, and type

Code:
adb devices
Press ENTER Key. You must see your device serial number. If you don't see it, probably your device drivers are not installed properly on your PC.

Now type

Code:
adb push sdcard /sdcard/
This command will push the "sdcard" to your device.
This process may take time depending upon the size of your sdcard. Please don't abort it until finishing.

Hit thanks if you find this useful.
Attached Files
File Type: zip adb 1.0.31 & fastboot.zip - [Click for QR Code] (539.1 KB, 94 views)
Last edited by Mr hOaX; 21st June 2014 at 08:20 AM.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Mr hOaX For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st June 2014, 07:25 AM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member

502 posts
Backup & Restore Applications and Their Data

Backup :

Code:
adb devices

Now type

Code:
adb backup -apk -noshared -all -nosystem
Now look at your device and accept backup process. (You can continue without entering the password)
Wait until finishing.
This will backup your apps and their data to the PC (a "backup.ab" file will be created in the same folder).

Restore :

Code:
adb devices

Now type

Code:
adb restore backup.ab
Now look at your device and accept restore process. (If you entered the password while backing up, you need to enter it while restoring)
Wait until finishing.
This will restore your applications and their data to device.

Hit thanks if you find this useful.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Mr hOaX For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th June 2014, 03:13 AM   |  #3  
Mendoza
Thanks Meter: 5

29 posts
More
It will be useful to change rom and not lose the progress of the games and some configurations?

Excuse my bad English.

Ivan!
The Following User Says Thank You to Leproso_Ivan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th June 2014, 04:31 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

502 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leproso_Ivan

It will be useful to change rom and not lose the progress of the games and some configurations?

Excuse my bad English.

Ivan!

AFAIK, some of the app's data is not properly restored. (Experienced this when my device was not rooted)
28th June 2014, 05:37 PM   |  #5  
Mendoza
Thanks Meter: 5

29 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr hOaX

AFAIK, some of the app's data is not properly restored. (Experienced this when my device was not rooted)

I will try when I change the rom.

Iván!
8th July 2014, 10:49 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 56

617 posts

took a long time and that was only backing up SD card lol. but I can say it can successfully backup
The Following User Says Thank You to bublz654 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th July 2014, 05:18 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

502 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bublz654

took a long time and that was only backing up SD card lol. but I can say it can successfully backup

It depends upon your SD Card size
Good job for uploading screenshot for others
Credits given
10th July 2014, 12:00 AM   |  #8  

617 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr hOaX

It depends upon your SD Card size
Good job for uploading screenshot for others
Credits given

I had 7.18 GB on my SD card lol. no problem for screen shot I'll try n backup app+data soon
30th August 2014, 12:40 PM   |  #9  

617 posts
please help, I'm trying to do backup the fourth time now and I keep getting that, I rebooted phone deleted. c:/sdcard directory its not working. what can I do ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1409395174594.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (139.6 KB, 185 views)
30th August 2014, 01:30 PM   |  #10  

617 posts
never mind I got 5th time lucky

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread