Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Sort of?

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

eg0097

Mar 22, 2014
Los Angeles
So you've bricked your phone. Well as long as the boot loader works then your "brick" is just a soft-brick. Follow this simple guide and flash a custom rom in a couple of minutes. :) I am not claiming ownership of this method, but its the first time Ive seen it and it helped me so here Good Luck!

1. Download the attachments.
  2. Unzip both files to a folder on your desktop.
  3. Run the adb setup file and press (Y) all 3 times.
  4. Next unzip the twrp.zip folder. Then flash the twrp recovery by using the "fastboot flash recovery twrp.img" command. Make sure phone is in fastboot mode.
  5. Next boot the phone into the recovery and select advanced. Then click on terminal command and navigate to the /sdcard/ folder.
    e988f9fd17b93ee7f5ff7c851c7153f2.png

Lastly click "select" on the bottom right corner.
    f36bc60866ca88d1cff41f850bc6b2fb.png

6. Now download whatever rom and gapps you would like to install on your phone and rename them to something short. Then open a command prompt at the directory where the rom and gapps are. In the command prompt enter these commands "adb push NAMEOFROM.zip /sdcard/" and "adb push NAMEOFGAPPS.zip /sdcard/".
  7. The command prompt will not show change for a few minutes. After you notice the command prompt is ready for the next command it is okay to exit it.
  8. Now just flash the rom and gapps normally and hopefully your phone will be okay.

Need any additional help? Feel free to ask :) This should work on all Moto G models that have a TWRP image and have a bootloader unlocked.

Attachments

• adb-setup-1.3.zip
    8.8 MB · Views: 4,076
  • twrp.zip
    7.6 MB · Views: 4,267
Last edited:

subodhverma21

Feb 17, 2014
New Delhi
Moto G
OnePlus 5T
So you've bricked your phone. Well as long as the boot loader works then your "brick" is just a soft-brick. Follow this simple guide and flash a custom rom in a couple of minutes. :) I am not claiming ownership of this method, but its the first time Ive seen it and it helped me so here Good Luck!

4. Next unzip the twrp.zip folder. Then flash the twrp recovery by using the "fastboot flash recovery twrp.img" command. Make sure phone is in fastboot mode.
  5. Next boot the phone into the recovery and select advanced. Then click on terminal command and navigate to the /sdcard/ folder. Lastly click "select" on the bottom right corner.
  6. Now download whatever rom and gapps you would like to install on your phone and rename them to something short. Then open a command prompt at the directory where the rom and gapps are. In the command prompt enter these commands "adb push NAMEOFROM.zip /sdcard/" and "adb push NAMEOFGAPPS.zip /sdcard/".
  7. The command prompt will not show change for a few minutes. After you notice the command prompt is ready for the next command it is okay to exit it.
  8. Now just flash the rom and gapps normally and hopefully your phone will be okay.

Need any additional help? Feel free to ask :) This should work on all Moto G models that have a TWRP image and have a bootloader unlocked.

Everything went well till step 5.

In terminal window of phone i could find select..... but after that how to proceed I donot know.......... what commands should i use on TWRP terminal...........

Phone didn't get detected in ADB even in TWRP terminal

pl. help

Reactions: xFreddy

subodhverma21

Feb 17, 2014
New Delhi
Moto G
OnePlus 5T
TWRP termnal is just so that your phone will connect as adb to your pc.

my problem got resolved.........

actually driver was the only problem which was not allowing ADB to detect device in RECOVERY mode, though device was detected in FASTBOOT mode

So I reinstall the driver to get ADB Interface installed in system> device manager

and then followed your remaining steps i.e. 6 onwards

Thanks a lot.....

Sn0opy

Aug 10, 2010
Not really sure about the following, but I hard-bricked my phone while rooting it a few days ago. Black screen, phone wasn't visible in ADB / fastboot, LED didn't change after plugging in the charger etc.

The only thing that helped: holding the power button for at least 2 minutes. The device restarted afterwards w/o any issues.

Can't find the source of it anymore ...

Reactions: sanzoghenzo

sascha-1102

Mar 23, 2011
still not working

on my xt1032 moto g 16gb version I just have the warning screen that the bootloader is unlocked.

followed a lot threads but nothing helped till now.

tried your verswion and from point 1 to 7 all went well.

But I can't flash the rom. i've tried out about 6 various rom's but everything it says fail. on the screen in the twrp always stands unable to mount /data /system /storage

what can I do to fix this problem?

Rakaan

Jan 15, 2011
London
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
on my xt1032 moto g 16gb version I just have the warning screen that the bootloader is unlocked.

followed a lot threads but nothing helped till now.

tried your verswion and from point 1 to 7 all went well.

But I can't flash the rom. i've tried out about 6 various rom's but everything it says fail. on the screen in the twrp always stands unable to mount /data /system /storage

what can I do to fix this problem?

|Could someone help please? I am in the same boat and when try to run the above command, I also get this error and no file appears in the sdcard hence cant flash it.

Thanks

sascha-1102

Mar 23, 2011
My Moto G is working again since one week with stock 4.4.2. I had to do it ain a bit different way...

First, I could get into bootloader and recovery. after several hours my pc recognizes my phone again, but till now I don't know why and how.

Wanted to reflash stock 4.4.2 kitkat again, but this won#t work. so I figured out that after unpacking, I had to replace the gpt.bin with the one from the 4.4.4 stock update. (see down as zip file)

Then I flashed the 4.4.2 stock again to my phone and all went well. It started again. (now I'm on stock recovery)

If you want to do the OTA 4.4.4 Update, there have to be a few things on your phone, otherwise update always fails.

1. if you have x-posed frameworks installed - uninstall it completely
2. if rooted, go into super su preferences and activate unroot all
3. do not activate developper options, or if done before, just uncheck the mark
4. you must be on stock recovery!
5. restart your phone
6. now search after update in about phone.
if bootloader is unlocked - doesn't matter - can stay unlocked

with me it first installed the 176.* OTA because my flashed stock was still 175.*
this went well, then again searched for update and 210.* (4.4.4 kitkat) could be downloaded ota. after it was done, click to install and it should work well - took a bit time.

now you are on stock 4.4.4, but without root atm.

if you want root back - now flash the newest twpr recovery 2.7.7.1 to phone, because here an OTG USB stick will be also recognized - OTG cable needed before. (don't need to push files first to phone)

copied before the su.zip to usb stick and sticked it to phone, then go into recovery. here you can install super user or better su.zip. restart phone and you got your root back on 4.4.4 stock kitkat rom

Attachments

• twrp-2.7.1.1-xt1032.img
    7.5 MB · Views: 236
  • gpt.zip
    4.5 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Reactions: Ysharief

Ysharief

Aug 20, 2010
Bangalore
Thanks it worked for me..BUT !!!

Hi and thanks a lot.. it worked for me but you have to add some more option for who are still having troubled in unbricking. like i had..
but it can't be done without your method as on OP..

how i got bricked !!! my Moto g dual (indian)

i tried to downgrade from 4.4.4 to 4.4.2 to flash custom Rom and got system partition corrupt.
again i tried to flash stock images but no use, actual problem was System and data was not formatting.
even if you try million times and you can never successfully flash stock images without error..

however i was checking many threads in xda to resolve this problem but couldn't figured it out, as i was not new to XDA i had confidence that i can come out from this issue. until this thread gave me a hint but not a solution but still this thread is a part of the solution :p

let come to the unbricking method (only for those who cant flash Stock firmware from fastboot)

Reboot to fastboot..
flash Philz recovery first. get it from here.. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2639626
better to use Kernel Flasher by my old buddy Ghostfreak NB http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2214724,
you just need to extract and copy the recovery to extracted kernel Kernel_Flashing_Tool_v2.0 in IMG folder and run kernel Kernel_Flashing_Tool_v2.0.bat.
press 1 and it will flash recovery, press enter it will reboot to Philz recovery,
now format System, data and whatever you can!!\
next reboot to Bootloader from Recovery,

and then follow procedure as OP :)

if you want to flash stock rom get from here http://xdaforums.com/moto-g/development/4-4-3-moto-g-stock-rom-t2804891 and adb push as advise by OP. now you have stock rom running without any issues :) :)
Edit..
You can also flash custom ROMs with ease.
Note you better flash recovery through kernel flasher tool..

Last edited:
Reactions: xFreddy

angelgzg

Oct 30, 2010
Maracay
Hi and thanks a lot.. it worked for me but you have to add some more option for who are still having troubled in unbricking. like i had..
but it can't be done without your method as on OP..

how i got bricked !!! my Moto g dual (indian)

i tried to downgrade from 4.4.4 to 4.4.2 to flash custom Rom and got system partition corrupt.
again i tried to flash stock images but no use, actual problem was System and data was not formatting.
even if you try million times and you can never successfully flash stock images without error..

however i was checking many threads in xda to resolve this problem but couldn't figured it out, as i was not new to XDA i had confidence that i can come out from this issue. until this thread gave me a hint but not a solution but still this thread is a part of the solution :p

let come to the unbricking method (only for those who cant flash Stock firmware from fastboot)

Reboot to fastboot..
flash Philz recovery first. get it from here.. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2639626
better to use Kernel Flasher by my old buddy Ghostfreak NB http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2214724,
you just need to extract and copy the recovery to extracted kernel Kernel_Flashing_Tool_v2.0 in IMG folder and run kernel Kernel_Flashing_Tool_v2.0.bat.
press 1 and it will flash recovery, press enter it will reboot to Philz recovery,
now format System, data and whatever you can!!\
next reboot to Bootloader from Recovery,

and then follow procedure as OP :)

if you want to flash stock rom get from here http://xdaforums.com/moto-g/development/4-4-3-moto-g-stock-rom-t2804891 and adb push as advise by OP. now you have stock rom running without any issues :) :)
Edit..
You can also flash custom ROMs with ease.
Note you better flash recovery through kernel flasher tool..

I get this error :(

Milczar54

Dec 14, 2015
When im typing adb push AOSP ( i renamed to that name ) /sdcard/ attacks me this: not found. Any help?:crying: Plez :c

Sid_Sun

Apr 29, 2014
Moscow

5. Next boot the phone into the recovery and select advanced. Then click on terminal command and navigate to the /sdcard/ folder.

I haven't actually bricked my phone but looks like my ROM.
So, I am trying to make a ROM previously in First Built the ROM didn't even wrote System [That was my fault as I wrote the the 'system' folder in Zip as 'System' and in update scripts 'system' to be extracted in '/system']
But , now the ROM has written /system but remains on Warning Boot loader Locked screen and starts to warm up I have tried Installing Kernels to fix it but no luck please help.
Device->Moto G Falcon XT1033
ROM Details->Custom ROM based on stock 5.1
Priority of problem->5 ,as I use MultiRom and have this Custom ROM as Secondary and CM 13 as primary ,but suggest a fix ASAP .

Sid_Sun

Apr 29, 2014
Moscow
@Sid_Sun - Flash the latest factory firmware image for your model. Once that boots, proceed to custom ROMs if desired.

Factory Firmware Image: http://xdaforums.com/moto-g/general/index-moto-g-falcon-factory-firmware-t3110795
Fastboot Tutorial: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2542219

My device is booting up I am trying to make a ROM which is not booting and the booting method is by MultiRom the not booting ROM is as secondary so I can use CM 13 as primary but not boot my Custom ROM I want a fix to that issue.

lost101

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 30, 2008
My device is booting up I am trying to make a ROM which is not booting and the booting method is by MultiRom the not booting ROM is as secondary so I can use CM 13 as primary but not boot my Custom ROM I want a fix to that issue.
The MultiROM thread would be the place to ask:

I have no experience with MultiROM, but I believe a Kernel with kexec-hardboot support is required.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

5. Next boot the phone into the recovery and select advanced. Then click on terminal command and navigate to the /sdcard/ folder. Lastly click "select" on the bottom right corner.

In terminal window of phone i could find select..... but after that how to proceed I donot know.......... what commands should i use on TWRP terminal...........

pl. help

pl. help

TWRP termnal is just so that your phone will connect as adb to your pc.
    Not really sure about the following, but I hard-bricked my phone while rooting it a few days ago. Black screen, phone wasn't visible in ADB / fastboot, LED didn't change after plugging in the charger etc.

The only thing that helped: holding the power button for at least 2 minutes. The device restarted afterwards w/o any issues.

Can't find the source of it anymore ...
    My Moto G is working again since one week with stock 4.4.2. I had to do it ain a bit different way...

First, I could get into bootloader and recovery. after several hours my pc recognizes my phone again, but till now I don't know why and how.

Wanted to reflash stock 4.4.2 kitkat again, but this won#t work. so I figured out that after unpacking, I had to replace the gpt.bin with the one from the 4.4.4 stock update. (see down as zip file)

Then I flashed the 4.4.2 stock again to my phone and all went well. It started again. (now I'm on stock recovery)

If you want to do the OTA 4.4.4 Update, there have to be a few things on your phone, otherwise update always fails.

1. if you have x-posed frameworks installed - uninstall it completely
    2. if rooted, go into super su preferences and activate unroot all
    3. do not activate developper options, or if done before, just uncheck the mark
    4. you must be on stock recovery!
    5. restart your phone
    6. now search after update in about phone.
    if bootloader is unlocked - doesn't matter - can stay unlocked

with me it first installed the 176.* OTA because my flashed stock was still 175.*
    this went well, then again searched for update and 210.* (4.4.4 kitkat) could be downloaded ota. after it was done, click to install and it should work well - took a bit time.

now you are on stock 4.4.4, but without root atm.

if you want root back - now flash the newest twpr recovery 2.7.7.1 to phone, because here an OTG USB stick will be also recognized - OTG cable needed before. (don't need to push files first to phone)

copied before the su.zip to usb stick and sticked it to phone, then go into recovery. here you can install super user or better su.zip. restart phone and you got your root back on 4.4.4 stock kitkat rom