Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,580 Members 40,742 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Did this work?
Yeah 4 50.00%
No 3 37.50%
Sort of? 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Unbrick method.

Tip us?

eg0097
Old
(Last edited by eg0097; 25th June 2014 at 12:24 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27

DONATE TO ME
Exclamation Unbrick method.

So you've bricked your phone. Well as long as the boot loader works then your "brick" is just a soft-brick. Follow this simple guide and flash a custom rom in a couple of minutes. I am not claiming ownership of this method, but its the first time Ive seen it and it helped me so here Good Luck!
  1. Download the attachments.
  2. Unzip both files to a folder on your desktop.
  3. Run the adb setup file and press (Y) all 3 times.
  4. Next unzip the twrp.zip folder. Then flash the twrp recovery by using the "fastboot flash recovery twrp.img" command. Make sure phone is in fastboot mode.
  5. Next boot the phone into the recovery and select advanced. Then click on terminal command and navigate to the /sdcard/ folder.

Lastly click "select" on the bottom right corner.

6. Now download whatever rom and gapps you would like to install on your phone and rename them to something short. Then open a command prompt at the directory where the rom and gapps are. In the command prompt enter these commands "adb push NAMEOFROM.zip /sdcard/" and "adb push NAMEOFGAPPS.zip /sdcard/".
  7. The command prompt will not show change for a few minutes. After you notice the command prompt is ready for the next command it is okay to exit it.
  8. Now just flash the rom and gapps normally and hopefully your phone will be okay.

Need any additional help? Feel free to ask This should work on all Moto G models that have a TWRP image and have a bootloader unlocked.
Attached Files
File Type: zip adb-setup-1.3.zip - [Click for QR Code] (8.84 MB, 94 views)
File Type: zip twrp.zip - [Click for QR Code] (7.62 MB, 93 views)
  • Thanks
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to eg0097 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

subodhverma21
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by eg0097 View Post
So you've bricked your phone. Well as long as the boot loader works then your "brick" is just a soft-brick. Follow this simple guide and flash a custom rom in a couple of minutes. I am not claiming ownership of this method, but its the first time Ive seen it and it helped me so here Good Luck!
  1. Download the attachments.
  2. Unzip both files to a folder on your desktop.
  3. Run the adb setup file and press (Y) all 3 times.
  4. Next unzip the twrp.zip folder. Then flash the twrp recovery by using the "fastboot flash recovery twrp.img" command. Make sure phone is in fastboot mode.
  5. Next boot the phone into the recovery and select advanced. Then click on terminal command and navigate to the /sdcard/ folder. Lastly click "select" on the bottom right corner.
  6. Now download whatever rom and gapps you would like to install on your phone and rename them to something short. Then open a command prompt at the directory where the rom and gapps are. In the command prompt enter these commands "adb push NAMEOFROM.zip /sdcard/" and "adb push NAMEOFGAPPS.zip /sdcard/".
  7. The command prompt will not show change for a few minutes. After you notice the command prompt is ready for the next command it is okay to exit it.
  8. Now just flash the rom and gapps normally and hopefully your phone will be okay.

Need any additional help? Feel free to ask This should work on all Moto G models that have a TWRP image and have a bootloader unlocked.
Everything went well till step 5.

In terminal window of phone i could find select..... but after that how to proceed I donot know.......... what commands should i use on TWRP terminal...........

Phone didn't get detected in ADB even in TWRP terminal

pl. help

eg0097
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by subodhverma21 View Post
Everything went well till step 5.

In terminal window of phone i could find select..... but after that how to proceed I donot know.......... what commands should i use on TWRP terminal...........

Phone didn't get detected in ADB even in TWRP terminal

pl. help
TWRP termnal is just so that your phone will connect as adb to your pc.
  • Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to eg0097 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

subodhverma21
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by eg0097 View Post
TWRP termnal is just so that your phone will connect as adb to your pc.
my problem got resolved.........

actually driver was the only problem which was not allowing ADB to detect device in RECOVERY mode, though device was detected in FASTBOOT mode

So I reinstall the driver to get ADB Interface installed in system> device manager

and then followed your remaining steps i.e. 6 onwards

Thanks a lot.....

Sn0opy
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Not really sure about the following, but I hard-bricked my phone while rooting it a few days ago. Black screen, phone wasn't visible in ADB / fastboot, LED didn't change after plugging in the charger etc.

The only thing that helped: holding the power button for at least 2 minutes. The device restarted afterwards w/o any issues.

Can't find the source of it anymore ...

massithereaper
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Very useful guide, I revived my soft - bricked Moto G

sascha-1102
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default still not working

on my xt1032 moto g 16gb version I just have the warning screen that the bootloader is unlocked.

followed a lot threads but nothing helped till now.

tried your verswion and from point 1 to 7 all went well.

But I can't flash the rom. i've tried out about 6 various rom's but everything it says fail. on the screen in the twrp always stands unable to mount /data /system /storage

what can I do to fix this problem?

Tags
moto g, moto g unbrick, unbrick method