Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,248 Members 37,839 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Unlock your Bootloader before updating to 4.4.4

Tip us?

Jdiesel87
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default Unlock your Bootloader before updating to 4.4.4

For anyone who has just picked up a Moto G and plans to unlock their bootloader, unlock it before updating to 4.4.4. There is currently a bug with the unlock codes on the 4.4.4 bootloader and the workaround is a hassle. The issue isn't present on 4.4.2, you can update once your bootloader is unlocked.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jdiesel87 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

killer23d
Old
(Last edited by killer23d; 23rd August 2014 at 08:26 AM.)
Thanks Meter 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdiesel87 View Post
For anyone who has just picked up a Moto G and plans to unlock their bootloader, unlock it before updating to 4.4.4. There is currently a bug with the unlock codes on the 4.4.4 bootloader and the workaround is a hassle. The issue isn't present on 4.4.2, you can update once your bootloader is unlocked.
The bootloader is the culprit.

Mine came with 4.4.3 and it has thus problem already.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Guicrith
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Whats the issue.(you never said what it was)

Espesbox
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guicrith View Post
Whats the issue.(you never said what it was)
The issue, when you receive the Motorola's code and enter it in the cmd get an error message. At least, that happened to me.

zax1962
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi! I bought the phone with the 4.4.2 update, and hurried him through the air to 4.4.4. And now I can not unlock the boot loader (incorrect password). Tried to go back to 4.4.2, and it does not work. When Motorola is the solution?

madman
Old
Thanks Meter 410
Quote:
the workaround is a hassle.
Thanks @Jdiesel87 for heads up. As you mentioned that there is a workaround , can you please point out or explain what it is , so that it will help the people who updated to 4.4.4 on first day itself..

Jdiesel87
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Sure thing. In order to get the fix from Motorola you need to visit the thread on their forum at:

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/f2...=798955#798955

You will need to sign up for the Motorola Feedback Network under your account settings, register your device with your IMEI number, and opt in to receive emails from Motorola. Once you have done that post on the above thread alerting the moderators that you have completed those steps.

I can't comment on anything after that point as the Motorola beta program has a non-disclosure agreement but they will help you from there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jdiesel87 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

madman
Old
Thanks Meter 410
Quote:
Sure thing. In order to get the fix from Motorola you need to visit the thread on their forum at:

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/f2...=798955#798955

You will need to sign up for the Motorola Feedback Network under your account settings, register your device with your IMEI number, and opt in to receive emails from Motorola. Once you have done that post on the above thread alerting the moderators that you have completed those steps.

I can't comment on anything after that point as the Motorola beta program has a non-disclosure agreement but they will help you from there.
Thanks for a quick response. And I respect NDA with beta program.
This will definitely help people who would like to seek help.

stan54
Old
Thanks Meter 2
thanks for the heads up.

meangreenie
Old
Thanks Meter 628
fiddlestix!!

i stupidly upgraded before reading this. am i likely to get the error on moto g 8gb?