Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,032 Members 44,258 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Moto G OS version you are currently using
4.3 7 3.80%
4.4.2 78 42.39%
4.4.4 99 53.80%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Should you upgrade your Moto G to 4.4.2 or 4.4.4?

Tip us?

techpick
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30

DONATE TO ME
Service Should you upgrade your Moto G to 4.4.2 or 4.4.4?

Simple answer - NO.

When a new software release is made for an OS, all the developers would have done is test it on a very few devices within the developers and then roll it out to testers. And after analyzing the bugs identified from these testers, the developers sit on fixing it and finally come up with a release. Now would this release be bug-less? Absolutely not! Remember, its only been tested amongst a very few number of people and the rolling out happens to thousands residing in different parts of the world. If you think about it, what these updates are gonna deal with is a varied number of users, different carriers, sim make etc etc.

Take for example, for Indian users, the 4.4.2 update has been rolled out for quite a while. Lots of bugs were identified since then and the forum managers have been collecting data from the subscribers for quite a while now (Almost 4 months). Still the fix has not happened. And now 4.4.4 is out and issues persist.

I hvae been using 4.3, 4.4.2, then CM11, Mokee ROM etc etc, and now Im finally back to stock 4.3, coz thats the most stable version. So if you are someone who is interested in trying out new releases, please go ahead, but if you are someone who needs a stable ROM with no signal drop issues, please stick to 4.3.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to techpick For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ovitz
Old
Thanks Meter 67
totally disagree. I have european version Moto G with stock 4.4.2 and everything is working perfeclty. Try to wipe you Moto or flash any other rom.

Falldroid 2 will be next Video preview
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ovitz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

XT-107
Old
Thanks Meter 16
seems like pebkac not buggy firmware . otherwise every single guy would be facing same problems and that's not happening .

techpick
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovitz View Post
totally disagree. I have european version Moto G with stock 4.4.2 and everything is working perfeclty. Try to wipe you Moto or flash any other rom.
Just to clarify, did you receive an update package sometime after the primary update?

SamsungAdmire
Old
Thanks Meter 75
4.4.3 works fine on my US GSM moto G. But it might be different for others.

Also, add a warning to the OP that if you're already on 4.4.3+, you can't downgrade anymore. Motoboot from 4.4.3+ doesn't seem to like downgrading anymore, unfortunately.

Bazilli
Old
(Last edited by Bazilli; 13th July 2014 at 07:16 PM.)
Thanks Meter 174
4.2.2 works great, no signal drops or anything. Waiting for eupean 4.4.4.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

usertag
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Question is whether downgrading is possible from 4.4.4 ?

tohema
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I totally agree to ovitz. Updates are supposed to fix issues with older versions of the software. My moto came with 4.4.2 and i never had issues with signal drops. I am from India. Btw it's always better to reset phone after the update.
My Devices :
Moto G
Samsung Galaxy S3
Sony Xperia U
Samsung Galaxy SL

BaghiXDA
Old
Thanks Meter 21
I agree with you OP on some extent. I also recently downgraded to 4.3 from 4.4.2 just for the lulz, because I was getting "image is too large" error but surprisingly today the flashing was successful. The battery timing has improved, dialer app is cooler than that of the 4.4.2. I'm finding these changes quite interesting because I didn't stay with 4.3 for too long; my Moto G received the KitKat update the moment I powered it on for the first time.

lifetimes
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by techpick View Post
Simple answer - NO.

When a new software release is made for an OS, all the developers would have done is test it on a very few devices within the developers and then roll it out to testers. And after analyzing the bugs identified from these testers, the developers sit on fixing it and finally come up with a release. Now would this release be bug-less? Absolutely not! Remember, its only been tested amongst a very few number of people and the rolling out happens to thousands residing in different parts of the world. If you think about it, what these updates are gonna deal with is a varied number of users, different carriers, sim make etc etc.

Take for example, for Indian users, the 4.4.2 update has been rolled out for quite a while. Lots of bugs were identified since then and the forum managers have been collecting data from the subscribers for quite a while now (Almost 4 months). Still the fix has not happened. And now 4.4.4 is out and issues persist.

I hvae been using 4.3, 4.4.2, then CM11, Mokee ROM etc etc, and now Im finally back to stock 4.3, coz thats the most stable version. So if you are someone who is interested in trying out new releases, please go ahead, but if you are someone who needs a stable ROM with no signal drop issues, please stick to 4.3.
While I do agree with you for most of what you said, not everyone has bugs or issues with their phones on 4.4.3/4.4.4 upgrade. I myself has had one bug that came with the phone since 4.3 and it's worst now on 4.4.3 and ironically, I've gotten all the bugs on the 4.4.3 that others were getting on 4.4.2. I ended up putting on CM11 because it was getting to me.

P.S. It's impossible to downgrade from 4.4.3/4.4.4. I would love to downgrade back to 4.3. Never got the chance to see how it behaved on my phone because I updated to 4.4.2 the moment I booted for the first time.
PHONE: Motorola Moto G XT1032 (US Global)‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪
MEMORY:16 GB ROM
ROM: 4.4.3
KERNEL: Stock‪‪‪
BOOTLOADER STATUS: Unlocked
Rooted: No

Tags
moto g issues, no sim, signal drop