Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,924 Members 45,395 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Want to save more battry and Ram..

Tip us?

iluvatrix
Old
(Last edited by iluvatrix; 10th July 2014 at 07:42 AM.)
Thanks Meter 13
was just using GSF as a quick example
but back to my original question is it better to enable ALL apps before taking OTA to avoid possible failure?
or will disabled apps still be "seen" during OTA updating?
i have disabled most Motorola apps that can be disabled are they considered critical when updating thru Motorola OTA?

debaj
Old
Thanks Meter 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvatrix View Post
so even if critical apps are disabled on stock , locked , unrooted xt1032, OTA will still be successful?
wont fail due to missing critical system apps?
You don't delete anything. You just tell the system not to start or use those apps. And as a worst case scenario, if you screw up something so bad that you can't even use the phone (but by default you cannot disable really critical apps without root and 3rd party software), a factory reset will solve it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debaj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

juliatan
Old
(Last edited by juliatan; 10th July 2014 at 08:18 AM.)
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurocds View Post
dont want to be an ass

but.......

being root you can delete those system apps like google music, movies, books, etc, all that crap bloatware

i believe if you restart the phone they will be active again, so it is better to delete them, also titanium backup can freeze those apps
Terrible and dumb advise.

Remove system apps and every ota on any android device from any manufacturor will crash and fail. Are you going to help clean flash stock Android back to functional for Ota's with people who followed this advise? At least advise to put system apps back before applying OTA. (One can remove system apps and install as more battery and recources friendly user-app. But before OTA uninstall those apps and copy back apk's of those system apps).

But like said disable apps (also non-root) or freeze (only root) them solution. With Greenify Pro and Xposed Framework (root) one can Greenify (do not all but only for system non important) system apps. Without root Greenify can (when Greenify enabled in accesibilty options) force close all in Greenify by user defined unwanted still in background running user apps all at once with a shortcut. Not fake like every task killer in Play Store is.

cryptoncore
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Thumbs down Becareful with system applications!

I agree with the previous post...don't remove system applications unless you know it's not going to be linked to anything of use to you, and even then I would do a backup just in-case...having a broken installation of android simply due to having deleted some system app in an attempt to save a few MB of RAM would be...unfortunate.
Current Devices:

Motorola Moto G (XT1032)
Current Moto G ROM/INFO: Stock XT1032 (4.4.2) unlocked bootloader, root and Xposed Framework

Huawei Ascend G300 (U8815)
Current Huawei Ascend G300 ROM/INFO: Cyanogenmod 9, unlocked bootloader (unofficial), rooted, Xposed Framework

maurocds
Old
Thanks Meter 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliatan View Post
Terrible and dumb advise.

Remove system apps and every ota on any android device from any manufacturor will crash and fail. Are you going to help clean flash stock Android back to functional for Ota's with people who followed this advise? At least advise to put system apps back before applying OTA. (One can remove system apps and install as more battery and recources friendly user-app. But before OTA uninstall those apps and copy back apk's of those system apps).

But like said disable apps (also non-root) or freeze (only root) them solution. With Greenify Pro and Xposed Framework (root) one can Greenify (do not all but only for system non important) system apps. Without root Greenify can (when Greenify enabled in accesibilty options) force close all in Greenify by user defined unwanted still in background running user apps all at once with a shortcut. Not fake like every task killer in Play Store is.
lol really? you better use an iphone

i remove system apps of all my cell phone, and guess what, they work perfect, never had issues

and if i did someday i don't care, why? because you are root, you can recover roms, flash, upgrade, etc

and yes, i give advice to people who bricked their phones and give guides and methods of doing it, because bricking phones and recovering them it part of learning