Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,266 Members 41,711 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] "Installation aborted" with 4.4.4 OTA and CWM

Tip us?

bur2000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Default [Q] "Installation aborted" with 4.4.4 OTA and CWM

I have a rooted Moto G with CWM Recovery and by stupidity installed the 4.4.4 OTA.

CWM aborts the installation, the phone reboots and unfortunately after the ROM is booted it automatically reboots to once more try and install the OTA.

So what are my options now? When a similar thing happened on my Nexus 7, I just flashed the factory image and all was fine. But I'm not sure what image to use for the Moto G. Is there even an official flashable image? If not, which is closest to stock?

Or is it possible to prevent the phone from automatically rebooting? I can access it with adb and have 10-20 seconds after the boot where I could open some apps.
HTC Desire HD
    CyanogenMod 11
    Radio 12.54.60.25_26.09.04.11_M2

Nexus 7 (2013)
    KitKat 4.4 KRT16S

Azarielz
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bur2000 View Post
I have a rooted Moto G with CWM Recovery and by stupidity installed the 4.4.4 OTA.

CWM aborts the installation, the phone reboots and unfortunately after the ROM is booted it automatically reboots to once more try and install the OTA.

So what are my options now? When a similar thing happened on my Nexus 7, I just flashed the factory image and all was fine. But I'm not sure what image to use for the Moto G. Is there even an official flashable image? If not, which is closest to stock?

Or is it possible to prevent the phone from automatically rebooting? I can access it with adb and have 10-20 seconds after the boot where I could open some apps.
You can find all the stock firmware images here:

http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=14

Flash either with RDS (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2637338) or fastboot (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2542219)
The Following User Says Thank You to Azarielz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bur2000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Thanks, there's no 4.4.4 for O2 Germany though. Do I need the right carrier/country? Otherwise I'll just go with 4.4.2

I also found this ROM (it's 4.4.4 despire thread titel). Is there any harm in trying it? I did a backup of the current half-broken system.
HTC Desire HD
    CyanogenMod 11

Nexus 7 (2013)
    KitKat 4.4 KRT16S

Azarielz
Old
(Last edited by Azarielz; 17th July 2014 at 10:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Thanks, there's no 4.4.4 for O2 Germany though. Do I need the right carrier/country? Otherwise I'll just go with 4.4.2

I also found this ROM (it's 4.4.4 despire thread titel). Is there any harm in trying it? I did a backup of the current half-broken system.
You can flash any firmware you want, except the ones for dual sim version (but if you want to be totally safe flash the retail de image). 4.4.4 images aren't available currently, you have simply to restore the stock 4.4.2, flash the stock recovery and take the OTA update.

The ROM you linked is for Moto G dual sim variant (XT1033), flashing it will probably cause a soft brick.

fertchen
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have the exact same problem.

1. Is there any way to get the phone out of this loop and get it usable again without a computer?
2. How can I flash the rom if the phone keeps doing this?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

bur2000
Old
(Last edited by bur2000; 18th July 2014 at 12:35 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by fertchen View Post
I have the exact same problem.

1. Is there any way to get the phone out of this loop and get it usable again without a computer?
I would say no. Theoretically it might be possible to quickly do something before the phone reboots.

Quote:
2. How can I flash the rom if the phone keeps doing this?
Just follow the fastboot link in the post by Azarielz. WARNING: If you don't want to loose you user data don't do the mfastboot erase userdata step. For me that still removed the reboot loop while retaining my data and apps. I had some problems with the mobile connection though, only after I manually searched for available carriers and pressed "select automatically" it connected. After that no problems.
HTC Desire HD
    CyanogenMod 11

Nexus 7 (2013)
    KitKat 4.4 KRT16S

fertchen
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
After that no problems.
Thank you very much. I will try that when I get home next week. Will be a nice exercise in living without a phone for some time...

gnayug
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
I would say no. Theoretically it might be possible to quickly do something before the phone reboots.

Just follow the fastboot link in the post by Azarielz. WARNING: If you don't want to loose you user data don't do the mfastboot erase userdata step. For me that still removed the reboot loop while retaining my data and apps. I had some problems with the mobile connection though, only after I manually searched for available carriers and pressed "select automatically" it connected. After that no problems.
Just did the same mistake with unlocked & rooted XT1032. I use TWRP and ended up there after every reboot. What I did is use the File Manager under "Advanced" to delete the .zip under /cache. Alternatively you could just wipe cache/ dalvik cache and the update zip should be gone, phone should reboot normally and after app optimization (if you wiped dalvik cache) everything should be back to normal. The first few seconds I got an error when checking for an update, but it went away after a minute.

Not sure if I should go through the trouble of updating to 4.4.4 or wait for Android L that's supposedly coming to the Moto G and X...

suiller
Old
Thanks Meter 338

DONATE TO ME
I was in the same situation, with bootloader active from cmd:

mfastboot erase cache

or whatever you use