[Q] 4.4.4 ota update fails due to missing apk's

OP bad1080

15th August 2014, 05:50 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 5

40 posts
hi all!

cutting to the chase here, long version below: can someone please upload the system/app folder for me?

after trying to fix my issue in two other threads i am opening a new thread for this now. i try to gather, sum up and sort the information as best as i can here. this is complicated enough for me as is so i try to make it as easy as i can with my own thread here... also i removed my questions from those other threads.

i never thought removing stock apps can cause such problems, and yes i should have made a backup. but that would be half as fun right?

i have the retail moto g from amazon.de here (more infos in form of a screenshot below this post). my phone is rooted.

im having troubles with the 4.4.4 ota update because i messed with stock apps (i removed a couple of em). so it seems i have to go back to stock 4.4.2 before i can do the update (at least thats what people told me so far).

and when im trying to install the update from the sd card (with stock recovery) it returns the same error as before: "system/app/cloudprint.apk" has unexpected contents. installation aborted.

maybe someone could upload the system/app folder for me? or at least the cloudprint.apk my phone seems to be missing. but i think i removed more stock apps, thats why the whole folder could come in handy later on (if its not too big).

i also tried following this guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2542219 step by step:

i downloaded the
Code:
 [RETAIL-DE_FALCON_KLB20.9-1.10-1.24-1.1_cid7_CFC_1FF_SVC.xml.zip]
from here: http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=14 because it said
Code:
 [Android 4.4.2
Blur_Version.176.44.1.falcon_umts.Retail.en.DE - Retail Germany - 445.2 MiB]
which seemed to be correct to me for what i got here.

but when i try and enter the first string under "3b)" (mfastboot flash partition gpt.bin) i get the error "cant run that because adbwinapi.dll is missing" (along those lines). but when i go to my the "Minimal ADB and Fastboot" folder the "AdbWinApi.dll" is there (94kb).

what i did now is the following (method might be a little ghetto):

-i copied the "mfastboot.exe" in my "C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot" folder
-i copied the code under 3b) [mfastboot flash partition gpt.bin ... etc] into a text file (something.txt)
-i renamed the .txt ending into .bat
-i copied the .bat also into the above "adb fastboot" folder
-i ran the .bat and because it all went so fast from there i couldnt see if any of those returned with or without an ok

but all without luck, the error stays the same...

my phone: my phone

anyways thanks all for reading! any help would be greatly appreciated!

kind regards

bad1080
15th August 2014, 07:32 PM   |  #2  
Flag Katy, TX
Thanks Meter: 873

1,351 posts
More
Have you tried just fastboot flashing the system img's from the German firmware you downloaded?
The Following User Says Thank You to meekrawb For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th August 2014, 08:31 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

40 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meekrawb

Have you tried just fastboot flashing the system img's from the German firmware you downloaded?

hi and thanks for your answer! im not sure i understand your question tho, does that refer to this:

Quote:

and when im trying to install the update from the sd card (with stock recovery) it returns the same error as before

but instead using the update to 4.4.4 using the 4.4.2 firmware?

edit:

btw do you have a moto g and could you upload the folder or the .apk?

edit 2:

i just checked the folder and i think i get what you mean now, there are 3 system img files (system.img_sparsechunk.0,.1 and .2), are those the ones youre talking about? how would i do that, just by 'apply update from sd card' and then selecting one after another?
Last edited by bad1080; 16th August 2014 at 12:48 PM.
16th August 2014, 08:43 PM   |  #4  
Flag Katy, TX
Thanks Meter: 873

1,351 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad1080

hi and thanks for your answer! im not sure i understand your question tho, does that refer to this:

but instead using the update to 4.4.4 using the 4.4.2 firmware?

edit:

btw do you have a moto g and could you upload the folder or the .apk?

edit 2:

i just checked the folder and i think i get what you mean now, there are 3 system img files (system.img_sparsechunk.0,.1 and .2), are those the ones youre talking about? how would i do that, just by 'apply update from sd card' and then selecting one after another?

Sorry about the delay. You have to use a computer to run fastboot commands.
Have a look at this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2542219

Once you get the prerequisites taken care of and fastboot can see your phone you run these commands from the guide:

mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3

That will restore your system files to stock and you should be able to do the OTA.

Note: I am not sure if your bootloader has to be unlocked to do this.
The Following User Says Thank You to meekrawb For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st August 2014, 09:35 PM   |  #5  
OP Member

40 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meekrawb

Sorry about the delay. You have to use a computer to run fastboot commands.
Have a look at this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2542219

Once you get the prerequisites taken care of and fastboot can see your phone you run these commands from the guide:

mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3

That will restore your system files to stock and you should be able to do the OTA.

Note: I am not sure if your bootloader has to be unlocked to do this.

thanks again for your answer!

yea as i stated above i had my problems with that guide. it seems that either some (crucial) steps for me are missing or i dont have the necessary background knowledge to complete it.

but i got it to work, heres what i did:

-put the phone in fastboot mode
-connect usb
-put the [system.img_sparsechunk.0] [system.img_sparsechunk.1] [system.img_sparsechunk.2] files in the [C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot] folder
-wrote a .bat with the following in it
Code:
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
-ran the .bat

from there it worked all like a charm, thanks to you!

much appreciated!

heres the final result:

edit:

only thing would be, i had to root it again, but thats no biggie and is to be expected i guess.
Last edited by bad1080; 22nd August 2014 at 11:32 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bad1080 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread