Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,758 Members 46,404 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Question] [Idea] Better Camera stock on Moto G

Tip us?

FabioSan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 156
Smile [Question] [Idea] Better Camera stock on Moto G

Hi XDA members and developers

I was thinking that the "camera problem" of the moto g maybe it's caused by a too high compression. I mean that any photo have a size of 1 MB, but on the Galaxy s advance is around 3 Mb at photo. So, anyone can mod the stock camera to make it better, for better photos?

coursemyhorse
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Has it improved on kitkat does anyone know?
Does it improve with a different camera app?

King p1n
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by coursemyhorse View Post
Has it improved on kitkat does anyone know?
Does it improve with a different camera app?
No theres been threads on this nothing has changed.

As for compression theres nothing we can do, its up to Motorola.

Krisshp
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioSan View Post
Hi XDA members and developers

I was thinking that the "camera problem" of the moto g maybe it's caused by a too high compression. I mean that any photo have a size of 1 MB, but on the Galaxy s advance is around 3 Mb at photo. So, anyone can mod the stock camera to make it better, for better photos?
Why not simply replace the camera with another app?

CAMERA ICS
HD Camera
ZOOM Camera

gee2012
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,063
The camera isn`t bad realy considering the camera and sensor but it will never be turned to a top camera though because of the hardware limitations.
USE Search: /this thread /all threads/Google before posting your question, you`re most likely not the first one having this issue

ManBearrrPig
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee2012 View Post
The camera isn`t bad realy considering the camera and sensor but it will never be turned to a top camera though because of the hardware limitations.
hardware limitations? my 3M camera on optimus one was better than the 5M moto g camera... my gf has xperia go and her 5M camera is also way better. so i dont get it..

King p1n
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Mixture of hardware and software. I've read several reviews that say prost processing causes loss of detail. However this maybe due to the camera without it producing very noisy shots. In an ideal world I'd love to have an option whether or not we want to have our images processed by the software, that heavily.

Compared to the Moto X's response the camera, Moto Gs is nothing which is why I think Moto are reluctant to look into maybe toning it down a little.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

CADude
Old
Thanks Meter 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee2012 View Post
You mean software limitations imposed by Motorola, likely to try to keep people from filling up an 8GB Moto G with minimally compressed pictures.

gee2012
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,063
They dont want the Moto G to be to good, or Moto X and Nexus 5 sales will drop too much. Its up to the devs to mod the camera to make it beter.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app
USE Search: /this thread /all threads/Google before posting your question, you`re most likely not the first one having this issue

debaj
Old
Thanks Meter 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManBearrrPig View Post
hardware limitations? my 3M camera on optimus one was better than the 5M moto g camera... my gf has xperia go and her 5M camera is also way better. so i dont get it..
Megapixel count has almost nothing to do with image quality. In fact, the average lens performs better on lower resolution sensors if their other features like size, light sensitivity etc. are the same. When it comes to image quality, the three major bottlenecks are the lens, the sensor quality and the imaging algorithm. My impression is that the Moto G has an average camera hardware with bad software.

BTW setting the aspect ratio from 16:10 to 4:3 improved the image quality on my device, I guess the software does not just crop the picture but it does some extra filtering too.

The Following User Says Thank You to debaj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]