XDA and Leaseweb: Server Trial/Moto 360 Contest (Winners!)

About a month ago, we held a contest along with XDA’s host, Leaseweb, to … more

Updated Android Lollipop Preview Images – XDA TV

The Android Lollipop Preview Images are now available! That and much more news is … more

Get a Complete Set of Logs with Andy Log

The importance of proper logging is undeniable. No, we’re not talking about lumberjack work. … more

Try Some Android Lollipop Applications on Your Device

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been officially announced and lucky users of Google Nexus 5 … more
Post Reply

Damaged internal sd

OP angelgzg

3rd September 2014, 05:34 PM   |  #1  
angelgzg's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Maracay
Thanks Meter: 28
 
247 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
More
Well it seems that my internal SD is damaged or G Moto conclude that after trying many tutorials in order to recover and none work, despite installing stock rom, gpe, recovery, etc (all without error and apparently good) but it seems that so do not write install on the phone because no change, in fact I have tried to not think of brick and even that allows, there will be some way to fix this? even for hardware?


Or if there is any way to format the internal sd using adb, just as is done by a custom recovery

Note: this because it allows me to install a custom recovery
4th September 2014, 02:46 AM   |  #2  
liveroy's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Stara Zagora
Thanks Meter: 72
 
300 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2007
Donate to Me
More
Your eMMC is fine, keep looking for solution or buy a new phone and don't fid with it anymore.
4th September 2014, 04:22 AM   |  #3  
angelgzg's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Maracay
Thanks Meter: 28
 
247 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveroy

Your eMMC is fine, keep looking for solution or buy a new phone and don't fid with it anymore.

I imagine that as the problem is not your answer so ...


Hopefully you never find yourself in a situation where you've tried almost everything and nothing works
4th September 2014, 08:46 AM   |  #4  
liveroy's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Stara Zagora
Thanks Meter: 72
 
300 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2007
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelgzg

I imagine that as the problem is not your answer so ...


Hopefully you never find yourself in a situation where you've tried almost everything and nothing works

It may not sound like it, but I'm actually trying to help you.

Anyway, let's hope the things work out in the end.@
4th September 2014, 05:33 PM   |  #5  
angelgzg's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Maracay
Thanks Meter: 28
 
247 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveroy

It may not sound like it, but I'm actually trying to help you.

Anyway, let's hope the things work out in the end.@


If you note, thanks
4th September 2014, 06:20 PM   |  #6  
debaj's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Budapest
Thanks Meter: 165
 
769 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelgzg

Well it seems that my internal SD is damaged or G Moto conclude that after trying many tutorials in order to recover and none work, despite installing stock rom, gpe, recovery, etc (all without error and apparently good) but it seems that so do not write install on the phone because no change, in fact I have tried to not think of brick and even that allows, there will be some way to fix this? even for hardware?


Or if there is any way to format the internal sd using adb, just as is done by a custom recovery

Note: this because it allows me to install a custom recovery

I had a similar issue, and I have bad news. If your warranty is still valid flash the original recovery back and try to ask for a replacement. I ended up with buying a broken Verizon branded Moto G as donor and replacing my logic board, of course the cellular network does not work but at least I can use my device for development. My problem was that the eMMC chip got some bad blocks (similar to bad sectors in HDDs) and it prevented the cache partition from mounting and some of other partitions became read only, for instance I could not update the recovery or install a new ROM while I could read the system files, while I was able to push files to the /data partition.

There is a tool called badblocks which can map these blocks and thus fix the eMMC theoretically (it generates a mapping file which can be used later by fdisk) but unfortunately this tool was left out from the Moto G's base system and I don't know if there is any ARM compatible version of it.

I asked around in GSM repair shops if there is any way to replace the eMMC chip with another one of the same model but all of them replied that they don't have the proper machinery to do such fine work and unfortunately there is no official Motorola service in Hungary so they couldn't even get a replacement logic board.

Funny thing that all the write operations were successful in fastboot, but later I found out that on most devices the eMMC controller is so primitive that it barely contains any error handling at all. It will only report trivial errors with a perfectly working eMMC chip, if the eMMc is broken and it cannot produce valid error messages the controller just assumes that everything was OK.
4th September 2014, 08:15 PM   |  #7  
angelgzg's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Maracay
Thanks Meter: 28
 
247 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by debaj

I had a similar issue, and I have bad news. If your warranty is still valid flash the original recovery back and try to ask for a replacement. I ended up with buying a broken Verizon branded Moto G as donor and replacing my logic board, of course the cellular network does not work but at least I can use my device for development. My problem was that the eMMC chip got some bad blocks (similar to bad sectors in HDDs) and it prevented the cache partition from mounting and some of other partitions became read only, for instance I could not update the recovery or install a new ROM while I could read the system files, while I was able to push files to the /data partition.

There is a tool called badblocks which can map these blocks and thus fix the eMMC theoretically (it generates a mapping file which can be used later by fdisk) but unfortunately this tool was left out from the Moto G's base system and I don't know if there is any ARM compatible version of it.

I asked around in GSM repair shops if there is any way to replace the eMMC chip with another one of the same model but all of them replied that they don't have the proper machinery to do such fine work and unfortunately there is no official Motorola service in Hungary so they couldn't even get a replacement logic board.

Funny thing that all the write operations were successful in fastboot, but later I found out that on most devices the eMMC controller is so primitive that it barely contains any error handling at all. It will only report trivial errors with a perfectly working eMMC chip, if the eMMc is broken and it cannot produce valid error messages the controller just assumes that everything was OK.

Well it seems to be almost the same, and I give my phone as lost

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Moto G Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank