Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,161 Members 52,028 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Getting Jelly Bean 4.3 on Moto G LTE?

Tip us?
 
StOrmCatz
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 10
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default [Q] Getting Jelly Bean 4.3 on Moto G LTE?

I understand the Moto G LTE never came with JB, but I'm curious what your thoughts on the possibility of taking the JB build for the regular Moto G and installing it on the LTE model?

The reason I'm asking is because I use to own the non-LTE Moto G. It came with KitKat out of the box, but through one of the great threads here on this site I was able to downgrade it to 4.3. The benefits for me were two fold, at least an additional 1-1.5 hour of screen on time, and most importantly the old webkit. I'm willing to sacrifice battery, but the lost of the old webkit is the most frustrating part. In a nutshell, The text reflow and zoom settings found in browsers such as Opera/Dolphin just don't compare to what I was able to get with webkit browsers that are not crippled by KitKat.

My thoughts on this matter:
- JB from the non-LTE Moto G is probably already 80% compatible with the LTE model
- Problem points: missing drivers for new radio and gyroscope.
- OS probably already supports sd card

I'm curious what your thoughts are on this? Has anyone tried flashing the Moto G JB rom on to the G? Is anyone working on JB roms for this phone?
 
K3VYNC
Old
#2  
K3VYNC's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 149
Posts: 626
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: So Joo de Meriti
Quote:
Originally Posted by StOrmCatz View Post
I understand the Moto G LTE never came with JB, but I'm curious what your thoughts on the possibility of taking the JB build for the regular Moto G and installing it on the LTE model?

The reason I'm asking is because I use to own the non-LTE Moto G. It came with KitKat out of the box, but through one of the great threads here on this site I was able to downgrade it to 4.3. The benefits for me were two fold, at least an additional 1-1.5 hour of screen on time, and most importantly the old webkit. I'm willing to sacrifice battery, but the lost of the old webkit is the most frustrating part. In a nutshell, The text reflow and zoom settings found in browsers such as Opera/Dolphin just don't compare to what I was able to get with webkit browsers that are not crippled by KitKat.

My thoughts on this matter:
- JB from the non-LTE Moto G is probably already 80% compatible with the LTE model
- Problem points: missing drivers for new radio and gyroscope.
- OS probably already supports sd card

I'm curious what your thoughts are on this? Has anyone tried flashing the Moto G JB rom on to the G? Is anyone working on JB roms for this phone?
Why should devs work on 4.3? We have 4.4 and we'll have "L" soon

Sent from my SM-T210R using XDA Free mobile app
Motorola Moto G (XT1033):
Stock ROM

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 (SM-T210):
Stock ROM
 
Clarkiieh
Old
#3  
Clarkiieh's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 83
Posts: 594
Join Date: Mar 2013
The lazy buggers, haha jelly beans feels like GB to ICS now.. No one wants it.. I guess there's the excitement of seeing " a update is available "
A Problem Only Exists If There Is No Solution.
I'm That Solution
 
nlra
Old
#4  
Member
Thanks Meter 39
Posts: 64
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by StOrmCatz View Post
I'm curious what your thoughts are on this? Has anyone tried flashing the Moto G JB rom on to the G? Is anyone working on JB roms for this phone?
It's an interesting thought. Have you unlocked the boot loader on your LTE model? If so, why not try flashing the main system partition from one of the stock Moto JB builds for the non-LTE G, clear your cache and userdata, try booting it, and see what happens? (I'd leave everything else untouched...radio firmware/baseband, bootloader, probably even the partition table.) My guess: assuming that the KK partition table on the LTE model has a space big enough to accommodate the system partition, it will probably boot up just fine. The question is going to be whether any of the radios (cellular or WiFi) work at all in the stock JB (included drivers might not work).

-- Nathan
The Following User Says Thank You to nlra For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
StOrmCatz
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 10
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlra View Post
It's an interesting thought. Have you unlocked the boot loader on your LTE model? If so, why not try flashing the main system partition from one of the stock Moto JB builds for the non-LTE G, clear your cache and userdata, try booting it, and see what happens? (I'd leave everything else untouched...radio firmware/baseband, bootloader, probably even the partition table.) My guess: assuming that the KK partition table on the LTE model has a space big enough to accommodate the system partition, it will probably boot up just fine. The question is going to be whether any of the radios (cellular or WiFi) work at all in the stock JB (included drivers might not work).

-- Nathan
Unfortunately my bootloader is not unlocked. I'm kind of waiting it out a bit just in case I need warranty. However, it's definitely something worth trying when I decide to unlock and there is still no good alternative to the old webkit. Any ideas what the risks could be with a bad system partition? Is it possible for that to brick the phone or cause something irreversible? As it's I imagine just the OS software, I'd expect possibly a boot loop. But I'm not familiar enough to know if could cause other issues.
 
nlra
Old
#6  
Member
Thanks Meter 39
Posts: 64
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by StOrmCatz View Post
Any ideas what the risks could be with a bad system partition? Is it possible for that to brick the phone or cause something irreversible?
I don't see how. You aren't touching anything especially low-level. You would be leaving the bootloader alone, the partition table alone, the modem/baseband firmware alone...if the system image from the non-LTE version cannot boot for whatever reason (likely lack of proper hardware support for whatever is different), you would just force it back into fastboot mode and reflash the system image you were using before.

Oh, you will probably also need to flash over boot.img (which is the Linux kernel, not the bootloader...bootloader is motoboot.img) in addition to system.img, since the two are generally paired together. But, again, I can't fathom how a bad kernel could brick the phone. Just flash back boot.img and system.img from the stock Moto G LTE release you were on before, and everything should be back to normal.

If you ever end up trying this, please report back and let us all know how it went. I will be most curious to know if it works.

-- Nathan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nlra For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
StOrmCatz
Old
(Last edited by StOrmCatz; 20th July 2014 at 11:25 PM.)
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 10
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlra View Post
I don't see how. You aren't touching anything especially low-level. You would be leaving the bootloader alone, the partition table alone, the modem/baseband firmware alone...if the system image from the non-LTE version cannot boot for whatever reason (likely lack of proper hardware support for whatever is different), you would just force it back into fastboot mode and reflash the system image you were using before.

Oh, you will probably also need to flash over boot.img (which is the Linux kernel, not the bootloader...bootloader is motoboot.img) in addition to system.img, since the two are generally paired together. But, again, I can't fathom how a bad kernel could brick the phone. Just flash back boot.img and system.img from the stock Moto G LTE release you were on before, and everything should be back to normal.

If you ever end up trying this, please report back and let us all know how it went. I will be most curious to know if it works.

-- Nathan
Thanks Nathan for the helpful responses! I have decided to go a different route and customize a KitKat rom with the classic 4.3 webview. I figure when the time comes, it'll be easier to go with supported Android versions than going backward. As there are no custom roms yet available for the Moto G LTE, I've instead made one for the non-LTE variant based on CM11. I've made a thread here looking for people to try it out: http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...assic-t2822006

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA Forums Added for the First Batch of Android One Devices!

Just yesterday, we talked about the highly anticipated launch of the first batch … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: DonkeyGuard, Don’t Be a Donkey, Control Your Device – XDA Developer TV

Some applications ask for the world … more

Use Facebook Pictures as a LWP with Facebook View

One of the best things that Android has always offeredits users is the ability to tailor … more

Share Your Thoughts Anonymously with A Minimalist Social Network

Nowadays, almost everyone has a second life onthe Internet. Among the best … more