Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,814 Members 44,271 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

GPS working? Which ROM?

Tip us?

r2mahara
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Default GPS working? Which ROM?

If anyone has GPS working properly (i.e. When location is set to "device only". Can they please post which ROM and version?

All my searching around hasn't led me to a fix. I'm on Slimkat latest weekly right now... But would switch roms for working gps... But preferably not stock.
The Following User Says Thank You to r2mahara For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

r2mahara
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
This worked for me... Not sure why:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpel78 View Post
Try this, it helped me:

* Backup your installation
* Install stock rom, or restore a backup of stock and factory reset
* on stock, go through setup. Then start a gps app like Google maps
* you will be prompted with a dialog, stating location service was turned off and asking you if it would be turned on again. Answer yes.
* restore backup
*gps should now be fixed
The Following User Says Thank You to r2mahara For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

grahamgo
Old
Thanks Meter 16
@r2mahara I'm just curious why you would apparently take any custom ROM over stock, what's the aversion, can you explain? I tried a couple of custom Roms and went back to stock. I'm just really curious.

r2mahara
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
That's a fair question. In the past when I owned previous phones, it was a matter of the manufacturer not updating the software on the phone.

However with the Moto G, the stock firmware is actually pretty good. Everything works... It's been a nightmare finding a ROM that has everything working consistently (GPS, Camera etc).

With things like Exposed modules nowadays, it's less necessary to install a custom ROM when looking for certain features - so that's now a viable option. It's a bit tricky finding the right exposed module to do what you want, if it exists and involves lots of reboots.

For example, I find it extremely useful customising my navbar and adding my own buttons to perform specific operations. With Exposed & Gravitybox, I think I can add 1 extra button, which doesn't cut it. Maybe there's another module that's better for this specific thing, maybe not - it takes lots of time to search and try them.

Some ROMS feel faster - but with high end processors these days that's less of an issue. It's nice having bloat removed, but one can do that oneself with root and TB for example.

So in short, there's less of a case these days. I've been using Slim for years now. I like the feel of it, and I guess I'm just used to the way things are laid out. I never thought about changing until all these weird camera and GPS issues (which seem difficult to fix because not everyone has them).

I have everything working now - so plan on testing new builds and coming back to the current setup if anything doesn't work. But I just might go back to stock until things stabilise a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamgo View Post
@r2mahara I'm just curious why you would apparently take any custom ROM over stock, what's the aversion, can you explain? I tried a couple of custom Roms and went back to stock. I'm just really curious.

grahamgo
Old
(Last edited by grahamgo; 25th August 2014 at 09:32 PM.)
Thanks Meter 16
@r2mahara Thanks for the detailed reply. I am using stock 4.4.3 + xposed (modules DS battery saver, Greenify, gravity box) everything works and battery life is 2 days with average use. Its so good I won't upgrade further (it ain't broke so why try and fix it), that is unless the L version has substantial advantages. You mention xposed and the need to reboot. I believe that this is largely in the past. When I was experimenting and tweaking I don't recall having to reboot at all, or maybe I did the odd soft reboot which is quite quick? - I forget.
Oh, incidently there is a module available that claims to be able to make comprehensive changes to the navbar,

Here is the link

http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.g...anavbarbuttons

You wrote that everything is working now so this isn't an issue but I thought it was worth mentioning. Cheers!

juliospinoza
Old
Thanks Meter 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2mahara View Post
This worked for me... Not sure why:
Which ROM do you recommend? I want to try this but I want to flash a rom via recovery. Thanks in advance.

r2mahara
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamgo View Post
@r2mahara Thanks for the detailed reply. I am using stock 4.4.3 + xposed (modules DS battery saver, Greenify, gravity box) everything works and battery life is 2 days with average use. Its so good I won't upgrade further (it ain't broke so why try and fix it), that is unless the L version has substantial advantages. You mention xposed and the need to reboot. I believe that this is largely in the past. When I was experimenting and tweaking I don't recall having to reboot at all, or maybe I did the odd soft reboot which is quite quick? - I forget.
Oh, incidently there is a module available that claims to be able to make comprehensive changes to the navbar,

Here is the link

http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.g...anavbarbuttons

You wrote that everything is working now so this isn't an issue but I thought it was worth mentioning. Cheers!
Ok, thanks - Noted about exposed/reboots. I also get about 2 days with slimkat + greenify + mostly on WiFi.

Will keep the link for future reference.

r2mahara
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliospinoza View Post
Which ROM do you recommend? I want to try this but I want to flash a rom via recovery. Thanks in advance.
The first thing I did when I installed CWM was to make a nandroid backup of the stock ROM - so I used that for the purposes of fixing GPS.

Perhaps there's a stock ROM on these forums that's CWM/TWRP-installable.

grahamgo
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2mahara View Post
Ok, thanks - Noted about exposed/reboots. I also get about 2 days with slimkat + greenify + mostly on WiFi.

Will keep the link for future reference.
Hi, well at home on WiFi I get 4 - 5 days, so you might like to try the module DS battery saver, of course I normally use the charger at home but I was curious if DS was doing an effective job and spent a bit of time evaluating it. I was happy enough to keep using it and got the Pro version.