FORUMS

MOTO G won't charge.

49 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By drag00n619, Member on 24th August 2014, 01:02 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hey guys! So I was using my Moto G at about 55% charge when I locked the screen. Came back and found it turned off. I thought it was very strange as it couldn't have turned off due to the battery. But as I tried to turn it on again it showed no response. Plugged my Samsung charger in (5v-0.7A) and the battery icon came up with "0%" beneath it. So I let it charge. Checked about an hour late, it was still at 0%. Holding down the power button didn't work. Tried the VOL DOWN+POWER button combination too, didn't work. Nothing's working. This has been going on since the last 5 days. Today I plugged in the original charger and the LED light blinked a lot at first. Then the icon came up and then the screen turned off, and the LED light is constantly blinking like normal. This gives me a bit of hope. But the button combinations still do not work.

So, can anyone please help me out? I still haven't tried the freezer option. Will that work? Is it safe?

Also, this is my daily driver. I can't return this phone nor can I claim any warranty. I need this phone and will do everything to get it back to its old self.

Hope I can get it back to its working condition with the help of the amazing people here on xda

Thank you!

24th August 2014, 01:14 PM |#2  
OP Member
Flag Islamabad

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drag00n619

Hey guys! So I was using my Moto G at about 55% charge when I locked the screen. Came back and found it turned off. I thought it was very strange as it couldn't have turned off due to the battery. But as I tried to turn it on again it showed no response. Plugged my Samsung charger in (5v-0.7A) and the battery icon came up with "0%" beneath it. So I let it charge. Checked about an hour late, it was still at 0%. Holding down the power button didn't work. Tried the VOL DOWN+POWER button combination too, didn't work. Nothing's working. This has been going on since the last 5 days. Today I plugged in the original charger and the LED light blinked a lot at first. Then the icon came up and then the screen turned off, and the LED light is constantly blinking like normal. This gives me a bit of hope. But the button combinations still do not work.

So, can anyone please help me out? I still haven't tried the freezer option. Will that work? Is it safe?

Also, this is my daily driver. I can't return this phone nor can I claim any warranty. I need this phone and will do everything to get it back to its old self.

Hope I can get it back to its working condition with the help of the amazing people here on xda

Thank you!

And some things I forgot to mention: The phone is totally stock, running KitKat 4.4.4. It's the XT1033. And the original charger's output rating is: 5V-500mA.
24th August 2014, 05:38 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 203

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

And some things I forgot to mention: The phone is totally stock, running KitKat 4.4.4. It's the XT1033. And the original charger's output rating is: 5V-500mA.

It's a known battery bug, sometimes happens... I resolved using the Motorola AC/DC original charger, just leaving it connected for 2 hours then I long pressed the power button (for about 10-15 seconds) until I saw the battery icon. If this doesn't work you could try to open (carefully) your device with a screwdriver, unplug the battery (very easy, you will find a tutorial on YouTube), wait 5 min, plug it again and reassemble it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oversleeper For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th August 2014, 05:53 PM |#4  
OP Member
Flag Islamabad

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by oversleeper

It's a known battery bug, sometimes happens... I resolved using the Motorola AC/DC original charger, just leaving it connected for 2 hours then I long pressed the power button (for about 10-15 seconds) until I saw the battery icon. If this doesn't work you could try to open (carefully) your device with a screwdriver, unplug the battery (very easy, you will find a tutorial on YouTube), wait 5 min, plug it again and reassemble it.

Yea, its charging continuously since an hour now and the LED light is blinking. Will try what you just suggested and will give an update.
26th August 2014, 04:05 AM |#5  
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:

Yea, its charging continuously since an hour now and the LED light is blinking. Will try what you just suggested and will give an update.

Is this cable the same you have used to charge before? Its weird but some cables will not charge my moto G, even tho I can charge other devices with them
26th August 2014, 03:50 PM |#6  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 896

More
I've been having this issue today as well.
I am Rooted, bootloader unlocked, and running custom ROMs. XT1031CDMA Boost Model

If I leave on charger it just keeps looping to the white 0% screen then vibrates and trys again, endlessly.
[even to the point of being dangerously hot]

one thing that finally worked for me was this.
I already found out if you hold Vol Down while plugging in , then releasing Vol Down, will quickly take you to fastboot screen [haven't seen this mentioned before]

So I would start with that and choose recovery, which would fail because there was not enough battery charge.

I found that if I unplugged the charger and plugged it back in before it vibrated it finally came up to the black screen with the colored 1% charging screen and now it is taking a charge again.
Which you can verify the charging percentage by pressing the Vol Down button

It took me several attempts to get this right, so just keep trying to unplug/plug during the time after you have chosen to boot to recovery from fastboot mode.

[[also there may have been a Vol Down button press needed too. I am trying to remember all the things and I was trying a lot of different combinations to get it to charge again, so please let me know if that ultimately does or does not work]]

The Following User Says Thank You to hhp_211 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th August 2014, 05:52 PM |#7  
OP Member
Flag Islamabad

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3RAN7ON

Is this cable the same you have used to charge before? Its weird but some cables will not charge my moto G, even tho I can charge other devices with them

Using the Samsung charger, it just shows the 0% and the battery icon. But when I use the original Motorola charger, the white notification light starts blinking. Don't know how this happens. But the light gives me hope that the system is actually working and nothing is wrong with that. But why does the light blink only when I plug in the original charger?
26th August 2014, 06:11 PM |#8  
OP Member
Flag Islamabad

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhp_211

I've been having this issue today as well.
I am Rooted, bootloader unlocked, and running custom ROMs. XT1031CDMA Boost Model

If I leave on charger it just keeps looping to the white 0% screen then vibrates and trys again, endlessly.
[even to the point of being dangerously hot]

one thing that finally worked for me was this.
I already found out if you hold Vol Down while plugging in , then releasing Vol Down, will quickly take you to fastboot screen [haven't seen this mentioned before]

So I would start with that and choose recovery, which would fail because there was not enough battery charge.

I found that if I unplugged the charger and plugged it back in before it vibrated it finally came up to the black screen with the colored 1% charging screen and now it is taking a charge again.
Which you can verify the charging percentage by pressing the Vol Down button

It took me several attempts to get this right, so just keep trying to unplug/plug during the time after you have chosen to boot to recovery from fastboot mode.

[[also there may have been a Vol Down button press needed too. I am trying to remember all the things and I was trying a lot of different combinations to get it to charge again, so please let me know if that ultimately does or does not work]]

The thing is that as soon as I unplug, it turns off because there's absolutely no charge. The fastboot mode also shows "Battery Low".
So when I select recovery it immediately goes to the 0% battery icon screen. Still, I'll keep on trying your method.
What I am trying to figure out now, is that why both different chargers show different behaviour of the phone? Like, using the Samsung one, when I select recovery it goes to the battery icon and using thd original charger it goes to a black screen and the notification light starts blinking. Do you know anything about it? Name:  1409073046794.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  74.8 KB
Last edited by drag00n619; 26th August 2014 at 06:20 PM.
26th August 2014, 06:21 PM |#9  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 896

More
Quote:

The thing is that as soon as I unplug, it turns off because there's absolutely no charge. The fastboot mode also shows "Battery Low".
So when I select recovery it immediately goes to the 0% battery icon screen. Still, I'll keep on trying your method.
What I am trying to figure out now, is that why both different chargers show different behaviour of the phone? Like, using the Samsung ons, when I select recovery it goes to the battery icon and using thd original charger it goes to a black screen answer the notification light starts blinking. Do you know anything about it?

I don't know a ton about it, just been battling with various stares of battery issues...
1st time I have had it no not accept a charge though...

""The thing is that as soon as I unplug, it turns off because there's absolutely no charge. The fastboot mode also shows "Battery Low".
So when I select recovery it immediately goes to the 0% battery icon screen.""
that is exactly what mine was doing...

don't you get a vibration in between when you select recovery and when the white 0% screen comes on?

26th August 2014, 06:33 PM |#10  
OP Member
Flag Islamabad

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhp_211

I don't know a ton about it, just been battling with various stares of battery issues...
1st time I have had it no not accept a charge though...

""The thing is that as soon as I unplug, it turns off because there's absolutely no charge. The fastboot mode also shows "Battery Low".
So when I select recovery it immediately goes to the 0% battery icon screen.""
that is exactly what mine was doing...

don't you get a vibration in between when you select recovery and when the white 0% screen comes on?

No, I don't get any vibration :/
26th August 2014, 06:35 PM |#11  
OP Member
Flag Islamabad

More
Ok, can anyone tell me why my notification light blinks when I pkug in my original charger? It's definitely not charging so then what is it indicating?

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
charge, moto, motorola, problem
Previous Thread Next Thread