Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,023 Members 43,320 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] help - unlocked, recovery wont flash

Tip us?

kdbrown5
Old
(Last edited by kdbrown5; 23rd June 2014 at 08:25 PM.) Reason: clarification, i've been rooted since a few posts in
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Exclamation [Q] help - unlocked, recovery wont flash

So I have my bootloader unlocked, but for some reason I can't flash a recovery (CWM or TWRP). I've tried to flash recovery through fastboot using adb fastboot commands, mfastboot commands, and mototool aio. I've also tried to flash recovery through rom manager and rashr. ( I am rooted )

Quote:
cmd: getvar:max-download--size
cmd: download:007b1800
cmd: flash:recovery
mismatched partition size (recovery)
I get
Quote:
Boot up failed
Whenever trying to enter recovery afterwards. I get the warning bootloader unlocked motorolla screen for .1s before going back to fastboot.

Can anyone point me towards what I should be doing please? Thank you

junglebungle
Old
Thanks Meter 84
Is the phone being detected when you type "adb devices" in cmd window ?

If not you need to install correct and drivers, then in while in the boot loader type "fastboot flash recovery RECOVERYNAME.img" obviously you change it to your Recovery's image file and it has to be in the directory with adb and fastboot of course.

Sent from my Nexus 5

kdbrown5
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Yes it is, it is detected as the phone boots ( it still boots to the stock rom ) and detected in fastboot as w ell.

edit:
to clarify, this is on 4.4.3 if it matters

kdbrown5
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrown5 View Post
Yes it is, it is detected as the phone boots ( it still boots to the stock rom ) and detected in fastboot as w ell.

edit:
to clarify, this is on 4.4.3 if it matters
I guess I didn't look up as well as I should have. So even with an unlocked bootloader, there are no recoveries out for 4.4.3 ?

nArdow
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
I guess I didn't look up as well as I should have. So even with an unlocked bootloader, there are no recoveries out for 4.4.3 ?
Yeah, of course there are recoveries for 4.4.3/4.4.4. Try to flash another recovery bro

Sent from my Moto G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Press THANKS if I helped u

Devices:
Moto G Alive - Stock GPE, unlocked BL, rooted.
Xperia J Dead
LG Optimus L3 Alive - Stock, rooted
Samsung Galaxy S4 Stolen

kdbrown5
Old
(Last edited by kdbrown5; 22nd June 2014 at 10:24 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
I've tried like 5 recoveries so far. i just tried cwm 6.0.4.5 and now i can't even get into the bootloader, (adb reboot recovery, as well as holding recovery keys at phone turn on) just goes into the rom now. Does it sound like i have to recover everything to stock now?

Not sure that it matters, but I am rooted if that helps or gives you ideas for any other options

edit: through rom manager i was able to reflash the latest CWM and now i have bootloader access back. I still can't get into any recovery though.

nArdow
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
I've tried like 5 recoveries so far. i just tried cwm 6.0.4.5 and now i can't even get into the bootloader, (adb reboot recovery, as well as holding recovery keys at phone turn on) just goes into the rom now. Does it sound like i have to recover everything to stock now?

Not sure that it matters, but I am rooted if that helps or gives you ideas for any other options

edit: through rom manager i was able to reflash the latest CWM and now i have bootloader access back. I still can't get into any recovery though.
You can try to go back to stock, and after, flash a custom recovery and see what happens

Sent from my Moto G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Press THANKS if I helped u

Devices:
Moto G Alive - Stock GPE, unlocked BL, rooted.
Xperia J Dead
LG Optimus L3 Alive - Stock, rooted
Samsung Galaxy S4 Stolen

kdbrown5
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Ok, I guess I'll try that tomorrow. The thing I'm wondering is, If it doesn't work flashing through fastboot, outside of the ROM, how would reverting back to stock help at all? A stock flash shouldn't change the bootloader at all?

kdbrown5
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
bump : (