Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,209 Members 48,307 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How good are the sensors in Moto G?

Tip us?

TheNexian
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Phone [Q] How good are the sensors in Moto G?

Hi all, I'm considering buying the Moto G as a secondary phone, mostly to use for fitness tracking while running and as a streaming jukebox.

I was wondering based on your experiences, how are the sensors on the Moto G? Is the GPS reliable? Does the compass point the right way?

I ask because I have a Nexus 5, and I have been sorely disappointed a few times running with My Tracks and later seeing that the GPS randomly cut off at some point, or that it zigzagged my path to impossible places, ruining the data capture.

I appreciate your help and please let me know if I've posted this in the wrong place. Thank you.

vlt96
Old
(Last edited by vlt96; 12th July 2014 at 07:10 AM.)
Thanks Meter 835
I just traveled with GPS a lot yesterday, and it was a lot more reliable than the GPS device in my car... It still has some of those small issues (oops, you jumped on the other street for a second).
So there's no issue with GPS, it's as good as it could. Compass, however, is a better than expected, it helps a lot with GPS.
One more awesome thing, I am now indoors, and somehow I have a 50 meter location accuracy with device only location.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk
Motorola Moto G 16GB dual sim (XT1033)

Quote:
Apologies for being a troll! Trolls make sure stupid people learn their lesson

The Following User Says Thank You to vlt96 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

VAMGDroidFan
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Yes, the Location accuracy is marvelous! It shows accurate indoor location upto 50 meters!
It shows correctly that I'm in my wing of Building society.
On open grounds, it gets even more precise! Amazing! Very fast GPS lock. This is the best GPS I've ever used(out of Samsung Galaxy 3, Xperia Tipo).
If I helped you, hit the THANKS button !
The Following User Says Thank You to VAMGDroidFan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SbM_
Old
Thanks Meter 35
I can confirm that the GPS is very reliable, in my experience. Haven't tried the compass.
Moto G [XT1032 8 GB retail FR]
Nexus 7 [grouper 16 GB]
Acer CloudMobile (S500)
Acer Liquid Glow (E330)

The Following User Says Thank You to SbM_ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vlt96
Old
Thanks Meter 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by SbM_ View Post
I can confirm that the GPS is very reliable, in my experience. Haven't tried the compass.
Compass is very good in the car, but it doesn't seem to be that reliable when walking (but I only tested 20 seconds)

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk
Motorola Moto G 16GB dual sim (XT1033)

Quote:
Apologies for being a troll! Trolls make sure stupid people learn their lesson