Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,319 Members 53,368 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How can I update a rooted moto G with TWRP to 4.4.4 using OTA

Tip us?
 
peslap
Old
#1  
peslap's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 103
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default How can I update a rooted moto G with TWRP to 4.4.4 using OTA

This mighty be a noob question, so please bare with me.

I rooted my Moto G and installed custom recovery on it(TWRP), and I'm trying to do a OTA update.
But when the phone reboots, it goes to TWRP recovery screen and I don't know what to do from there.
Any help is appreciated!
 
mokkami
Old
(Last edited by mokkami; 29th July 2014 at 12:28 PM.)
#2  
mokkami's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 93
Posts: 426
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pune (IN), Düsseldorf (DE)
Always a tricky thing ...... for some it works for some not.
Sometimes rooted phones cannot be updated sometimes yes.
Sometimes custom recoveries are able to update sometimes not.
Till now i have not found out a general answer to this Topic.
Did you change any system apps? Definately not a good idea if you want to update,

There are a few options you can do.
Go back to stock recovery

or

You can use siedeload functionality in TWRP.
Therefore you need the update file on your PC.
Then run:

Code:
adb sideload /path/to/update.zip
or

Install the the zip file via the update function in TWRP
For that you need to have the update file on the normal storage of the phone

At least one of these solutions should work for you.
If you don't have the OTA on your PC, you can look at /cache to find the OTA (only if you are rooted).
Sent from my Commodore 16 using NSA's satellite dish
 
fabregus04
Old
#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 17
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokkami View Post
Always a tricky thing ...... for some it works for some not.
Sometimes rooted phones cannot be updated sometimes yes.
Sometimes custom recoveries are able to update sometimes not.
Till now i have not found out a general answer to this Topic.
Did you change any system apps? Definately not a good idea if you want to update,

There are a few options you can do.
Go back to stock recovery

or

You can use siedeload functionality in TWRP.
Therefore you need the update file on your PC.
Then run:

Code:
adb sideload /path/to/update.zip
or

Install the the zip file via the update function in TWRP
For that you need to have the update file on the normal storage of the phone

At least one of these solutions should work for you.
If you don't have the OTA on your PC, you can look at /cache to find the OTA (only if you are rooted).
Ota upgrade will not work.. U need to download a stock ROM lyk slimkat or cyanogonmod 11

Sent from my Moto E using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
fertchen
Old
#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 13
Join Date: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabregus04 View Post
Ota upgrade will not work.. U need to download a stock ROM lyk slimkat or cyanogonmod 11
But flashing that will mean that all user data will be deleted, right?

Sorry, I am trying really hard but with all these abbreviations I still can't get my head around what happens if I flash/load/recover x, y or z.
 
fabregus04
Old
#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 17
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fertchen View Post
But flashing that will mean that all user data will be deleted, right?

Sorry, I am trying really hard but with all these abbreviations I still can't get my head around what happens if I flash/load/recover x, y or z.
U need to back up everything.. Apss can u back up wid clean master n personal datas in Computer thats it..

Sent from my Moto E using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
hhp_211
Old
#6  
hhp_211's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 556
Posts: 1,401
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by fertchen View Post
But flashing that will mean that all user data will be deleted, right?

Sorry, I am trying really hard but with all these abbreviations I still can't get my head around what happens if I flash/load/recover x, y or z.
backup with an app like these

Helium - App Sync and Backup [[ No Root Needed }}
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ikdutta.backup


Titanium Backup ★ root
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...TitaniumBackup


My Backup
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.MyBackup



.
.
.
Currently Running :: Something with some kind of Kernel
.
Samsung Fascinate SCH-i500 - click tab to see links
 
Quote:
[Kernels] Flashable Jellybean 4.2.x || 4.3 || & tweaks[`Kernels`&`Recovery`] Flashable KitKat || 4.4.x || & Tweaks
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=38014509 ....http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2600743..
.
Links to Fascinate Android 4.2 and Older filesLinks to Fascinate Android 4.3 and Newer files
http://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=4298..........http://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=7312
Thread Tools
Display Modes