Bring Back LTE on the Google Nexus 4 Running Lollipop

One of the predecessors of the latest, largest, and greatest Gooogle Nexus 6(theGoogle … more

Google Maps, My Maps, YouTube, Androidify, Slides, Music Updated–Here’s What’s New

In the last few weeks, Google has been … more

SuperSU BETA: Root Android Lollipop on Stock Kernel

Up until now, if you wanted to get root on Android 5.0, you needed to flash a modified … more

Android App Review: Get Amaze with Material Design – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. Android 5.0 … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Locked out after switching to ART

OP Nognir

1st September 2014, 04:45 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 25

137 posts
Yesterday I've tried to give ART another shot over Dalvik but since the necessary reboot my phone refuses to admit me beyond the screen lock PIN. The contents of the phone aren't backed up (save for contacts and emails) so a factory reset is out of the question. I've been pulling up an a allnighter trying to get it somehow to connect to adb so I can pull a backup from there, but to no avail so far. It's the latest en.GB rom (4.4.4), 3G 16GB version

I did attempt to clear the cache from the recovery menu, it didn't work. Not even safe mode made the trick.
1st September 2014, 10:57 AM   |  #2  
Flag Stara Zagora
Thanks Meter: 72

300 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nognir

Yesterday I've tried to give ART another shot over Dalvik but since the necessary reboot my phone refuses to admit me beyond the screen lock PIN. The contents of the phone aren't backed up (save for contacts and emails) so a factory reset is out of the question. I've been pulling up an a allnighter trying to get it somehow to connect to adb so I can pull a backup from there, but to no avail so far. It's the latest en.GB rom (4.4.4), 3G 16GB version

I did attempt to clear the cache from the recovery menu, it didn't work. Not even safe mode made the trick.

I don't get it. Your device doesn't accept the phone PIN after you've switched to ART or what?

Just fyi, you'd better provide as much info as possible about the phone.Is it rooted, what recovery do you have....
1st September 2014, 11:27 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

137 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveroy

I don't get it. Your device doesn't accept the phone PIN after you've switched to ART or what?

Just fyi, you'd better provide as much info as possible about the phone.Is it rooted, what recovery do you have....

Yes, exactly that - the screen lock PIN, not the sim lock PIN. And no, it's not rooted or modded in any way, I would have mentioned that
1st September 2014, 11:41 AM   |  #4  
Flag Stara Zagora

300 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Yes, exactly that - the screen lock PIN, not the sim lock PIN. And no, it's not rooted or modded in any way, I would have mentioned that

That's bad, hmmm
You got one option, but not quite sure if its gonna work or not (probably it will...).Flash the stock system partition only and erase cache via fastboot.That will eventually revert to Dalvik and wont wipe the data partiton.

Or maybe first try to erase the cache via fastboot and see if something changes.
1st September 2014, 12:05 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

137 posts
Quote:

That's bad, hmmm
You got one option, but not quite sure if its gonna work or not (probably it will...).Flash the stock system partition only and erase cache via fastboot.That will eventually revert to Dalvik and wont wipe the data partiton.

Or maybe first try to erase the cache via fastboot and see if something changes.

I'm giving that a shot and reporting back soon - downloading the firmware atm and charging the device

Edit: erasing the cache on its own didn't help

Edit 2:Sideloading failed, it aborted while verifying update package. Perhaps this only works for unlocked bootloader?
Last edited by Nognir; 1st September 2014 at 01:31 PM.
1st September 2014, 04:51 PM   |  #6  
Flag Stara Zagora

300 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I'm giving that a shot and reporting back soon - downloading the firmware atm and charging the device

Edit: erasing the cache on its own didn't help

Edit 2:Sideloading failed, it aborted while verifying update package. Perhaps this only works for unlocked bootloader?

No, the images are signed with the proper signature that is valid for the bootloader.Did you use 4.4.4 image or 4.4.2?
1st September 2014, 05:27 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

137 posts
Quote:

No, the images are signed with the proper signature that is valid for the bootloader.Did you use 4.4.4 image or 4.4.2?

UK retail 4.4.4, same version as the one I've been using
1st September 2014, 06:45 PM   |  #8  
Flag Stara Zagora

300 posts
Donate to Me
More
bummer

Maybe try the full flashing procedure, except the erase userdata. Although this might end up in a bootloop.
If that doesn't help, let's hope someone else pops up with a fresh idea...

By the way, post some screenshots of the errors you get, might help.
Last edited by liveroy; 1st September 2014 at 06:47 PM.
1st September 2014, 07:50 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member

137 posts
Quote:

bummer

Maybe try the full flashing procedure, except the erase userdata. Although this might end up in a bootloop.
If that doesn't help, let's hope someone else pops up with a fresh idea...

By the way, post some screenshots of the errors you get, might help.

I just tried what you said above - the full flashing save for the userdata wipe. Still, absolutely no change. But I missed mentioning above that I get a com.android.systemui error right after I enter the screen PIN, in either normal mode or safe mode. Then I get to see the launcher for half a second and I'm prompted to enter the screen PIN again.

Edit: I noticed somewhere saying (not in XDA) that if you let the phone completely discharge it somehow switches back to dalvik - I'll place my last bet on that
Last edited by Nognir; 1st September 2014 at 11:08 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread