[New Method] [Official Build] Downgrade to 4.4.2 GPE from 4.4.4. Via Fastboot!!

Search This thread

Clarkiieh

Mar 13, 2013
OnePlus 6T
Right guys firstly i would like to make a massive shoutout to @fl4m3y
Brilliant work on your efforts for the community!!

Without his guide found HERE i would never have been able to leave any 4.4.4 custom rom!
Thankyou friend.

Disclaimer
I am not 100% this will work for you. Use at YOUR OWN RISK.
I will not be held responsible for anyone saying, "omg, my phone had a chance of coming back to life, now your guide has killed it off"
Because that wasn't and isn't the case for me. It has worked 100% STOCK flash by FASTBOOT
95% of this is @fl4m3y credits all thanks go to this guy. Nor will @fl4m3y be blamed as he has stated in his thread.
Right i will tell you what i did.. everything i did, dont do anything i didnt do. or it probley wont work. same goes for skipping things out.

Firstly
I need you to follow this Guide.

Troubleshooting: (These are some errors i came across, managed to fix them these ways)

The CWM Backup won't push to /sdcard

This happened to me, i don't know why but i managed to fix this by going into 'Mounts and Storage and Mounting STORAGE'
it was unmounted for some reason. Double check this..

It wont start restoring i get MD5 sumcheck failed error.

You need to go into Advance settings in Backup and Restore and uncheck 'check md5sum' (Not sure what it was called just look for something to do with md5sum and make sure there isnt a x next to it)

I Get a Error Resoring /data or /system

go into Backup and Restore and select to do a Custom Restore. Now just as if you where fastboot flashing something, restore each of them speratly..
i started from the top. (Boot.img i think it was then selected to restore and them moved down the list)
now there should be 3 parts to all of them. i went through every single one just to make sure it went well.
so in system there was 3 diffrent files relating to system .. restore them all then move on..

Once you have followed this and your phone has rebooted Sucsessfully you need to download this Official 4.2.2 GPE Fastboot Firmware

Now this is a OFFICIALLY SIGNED FASTBOOT FIRMWARE.. i think thats why it has worked.

The Thread is HERE if you want to look where i found it

Now you need the fastboot files. If you dont have the here they are
I would download them anyways just to make sure its followed exactly how i did it.

I downloaded everything to my Desktop and extracted to my desktop. it makes it easy for me to organise.

Now put your phone into bootloader

Heres for the next part. Extract the Fastboot files into the folder with the Firmware files. There is a .bat file inside that autoflashes everything
Do not press it! We dont need all the files flashed!

Ok so i need you to go to the folder with the firmware in and: Press and hold Right Shift and right click on the file and select to open cmd window here.

Now Type: Fastboot Devices
this is just checking everything is working.

Copy each of these and paste them into your cmd window :)

fastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
fastboot flash logo logo.bin
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk1
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk2
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk3
fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot reboot

Your phone should Reboot with 100% STOCK GPE.
i am going to try fastboot flash over this a UK Retail Firmware and see what happens.. i will report back if we can now sucsefully flash firmwares other then this one.

Reactions: padhu1989 and gd91

gd91

Jul 6, 2014
Nop its not working for me...I am stuck at google logo...but my moto is xt1033 maybe that is why its not working? ;P

gd91

Jul 6, 2014
Yeah everything flashed okay except those warnings that are allways there...restoring backup went well too thx to your guide on how to avoid those mount problems ;)

Clarkiieh

Mar 13, 2013
OnePlus 6T
No. You will have to wait for 4.4.4 stock partition. And boot loader. Its being pushed out now or soon.. Then you can flash over GPE to stock. This only putbstock GPE back on my phone

Sent from my Moto G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

nlra

Sep 5, 2012
No. You will have to wait for 4.4.4 stock partition. And boot loader. Its being pushed out now or soon.. Then you can flash over GPE to stock

People keep saying this, but nobody explains the rationality behind it.

2 things:

1) How does having the 4.4.4 GPE files help in any way with downgrading? If I downgrade, I'd want to downgrade all components, including the bootloader, no? Are you thinking that it is impossible to downgrade the GPT and bootloader after they have been upgraded, even if your bootloader is unlocked, so you would flash the 4.4.4 versions of those but the system partition and modem/baseband from whatever version you want to downgrade to?

2) Even if what you are saying is true, that you would need the 4.4.4 GPT and bootloader in order to perform a successful downgrade to an earlier version, the fact is that the gpt and motoboot files are already available today, extractable from the OTA zip that has been making the rounds. They have already been extracted by others and posted elsewhere. So what more do you need/want out of the 4.4.4 fastboot-flashable release?

-- Nathan

Clarkiieh

Mar 13, 2013
OnePlus 6T
You have miss understood.. We can downgrade to 4.4.2 GPE ( i don't think It was shipped with Jelly Bean) its a dodle
Although!

People who dont want to be on GPE 4.4.2 or 4.4.3 or 4.4.4, and want to go back to the Motorola Stock 4.4.2 will have to wait for the 4.4.4 Stock Motorola update to come to their region ATM it is only hitting certain areas for the time being..

Clarkiieh

Mar 13, 2013
OnePlus 6T
The process will go like this..

Flash GPE 4.4.4 then flash over that the morotorola stock 4.4.4

nlra

Sep 5, 2012
You have miss understood.. We can downgrade to 4.4.2 GPE

Ah, okay, yes, I guess I did partially misunderstand. But I have been seeing people talk about the problems they have been having downgrading even to 4.4.2 GPE from 4.4.4 GPE. I see that people have stumbled across various convoluted workarounds, but for some reason it is not just as easy as reflashing all of the necessary files while in fastboot. I suspect that the fact that this doesn't work even when trying to go back to 4.4.2 GPE is related to the problems people are having when trying to return to 4.4.2 Motorola.

People who dont want to be on GPE 4.4.2 or 4.4.3 or 4.4.4, and want to go back to the Motorola Stock 4.4.2 will have to wait for the 4.4.4 Stock Motorola update to come to their region

Well, then I still don't understand. If you are running 4.4.4 GPE, why do you have to first flash to 4.4.4 Motorola before downgrading to 4.4.2 Motorola? If you can't go directly to 4.4.2 Motorola from 4.4.4 GPE, what makes you think that having access to 4.4.4 Motorola would make this procedure work? I guess that's the part that is missing for me. Nobody is explaining why they believe that having access to 4.4.4 Motorola will assist in a downgrade to older versions of stock Motorola.

The process will go like this..Flash GPE 4.4.4 then flash over that the morotorola stock 4.4.4

...and then flash 4.4.2 stock Motorola over 4.4.4? Why will that work if flashing directly from 4.4.4 GPE wouldn't?

-- Nathan

Clarkiieh

Mar 13, 2013
OnePlus 6T
GPE and Motorola have totally different file systems.. I dunno.. Its all confusing I haven't really been told myself but just buy reading what others have said and what has worked for me, I cannot flash 4.4.2 over my GPE 4.4.2 that has been brick recovered I need the 4.4.4 boot and gpt.. I think when you convert to 4.4.4 there are files and partitions you cannot flash over unless you have the whole thing. I think the big issue isnt partitions it's the bootloader, I cannot flash any other but 4.4.4 I don't know why eve after flashing 4.4.4 gpt.bin

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Right guys firstly i would like to make a massive shoutout to @fl4m3y
    Brilliant work on your efforts for the community!!

Without his guide found HERE i would never have been able to leave any 4.4.4 custom rom!
    Thankyou friend.

Disclaimer
    I am not 100% this will work for you. Use at YOUR OWN RISK.
    I will not be held responsible for anyone saying, "omg, my phone had a chance of coming back to life, now your guide has killed it off"
    Because that wasn't and isn't the case for me. It has worked 100% STOCK flash by FASTBOOT
    95% of this is @fl4m3y credits all thanks go to this guy. Nor will @fl4m3y be blamed as he has stated in his thread.
    Right i will tell you what i did.. everything i did, dont do anything i didnt do. or it probley wont work. same goes for skipping things out.

Firstly
    I need you to follow this Guide.

Troubleshooting: (These are some errors i came across, managed to fix them these ways)

The CWM Backup won't push to /sdcard

This happened to me, i don't know why but i managed to fix this by going into 'Mounts and Storage and Mounting STORAGE'
    it was unmounted for some reason. Double check this..

It wont start restoring i get MD5 sumcheck failed error.

You need to go into Advance settings in Backup and Restore and uncheck 'check md5sum' (Not sure what it was called just look for something to do with md5sum and make sure there isnt a x next to it)

I Get a Error Resoring /data or /system

go into Backup and Restore and select to do a Custom Restore. Now just as if you where fastboot flashing something, restore each of them speratly..
    i started from the top. (Boot.img i think it was then selected to restore and them moved down the list)
    now there should be 3 parts to all of them. i went through every single one just to make sure it went well.
    so in system there was 3 diffrent files relating to system .. restore them all then move on..

Once you have followed this and your phone has rebooted Sucsessfully you need to download this Official 4.2.2 GPE Fastboot Firmware

Now this is a OFFICIALLY SIGNED FASTBOOT FIRMWARE.. i think thats why it has worked.

The Thread is HERE if you want to look where i found it

Now you need the fastboot files. If you dont have the here they are
    I would download them anyways just to make sure its followed exactly how i did it.

I downloaded everything to my Desktop and extracted to my desktop. it makes it easy for me to organise.

Now put your phone into bootloader

Heres for the next part. Extract the Fastboot files into the folder with the Firmware files. There is a .bat file inside that autoflashes everything
    Do not press it! We dont need all the files flashed!

Ok so i need you to go to the folder with the firmware in and: Press and hold Right Shift and right click on the file and select to open cmd window here.

Now Type: Fastboot Devices
    this is just checking everything is working.

Copy each of these and paste them into your cmd window :)

fastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
    fastboot flash logo logo.bin
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk1
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk2
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk3
    fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    fastboot erase modemst1
    fastboot erase modemst2
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot erase userdata
    fastboot reboot

Your phone should Reboot with 100% STOCK GPE.
    i am going to try fastboot flash over this a UK Retail Firmware and see what happens.. i will report back if we can now sucsefully flash firmwares other then this one.
    @gd91

Confirmed working