[Q] My Moto 4G is caching everything. Is it a normal behavior?

OP Plouffr

21st August 2014, 02:41 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
I bought a Moto 4G few days ago and I feel like it has a strange behaviour.
My problem is that the phone is not handling multitasking as I would expect it to.

Some examples:

- I use Chrome as web browser. Each time I switch between tabs, the tabs are refreshed.
So if I am writing something in a form and need to check something in a other tab, then when I'll come back to the form the text I typed is lost with the refresh.

- I have the same problem with forms inside apps. I wanted to sell something using a classified ads app. And I experienced the same. I switched on chrome to check the spec.
When I switched back to my ad, the app completely restarted!

- I don't play often but I tried to see what the phone is capable of. I tried with Plants VS Zombies. And it is the same. If I switched back and forth the game will restart.

To sum up, I feel like the multitasking on my Moto G is only remembering the list of apps in use and restart them when needed!

I read that this may be due to a lack of RAM (the Moto G has 1Go of RAM). But I never experienced that with an old Galaxy S with Cyanogen ICS (512Mo RAM), nor with a more recent Nexus 4 with KitKat or older releases (2Go of RAM).

So I just made few tests:

- The classified ads app + chrome with with *one* tab + the task manager => no problem when switching (and the phone has ~300Mo of free RAM)
- The classified ads app + chrome with with *two* tabs + the task manager => apps are cached and refreshed if needed (and the phone has ~300Mo of free RAM)
- A game + the classified ads app + chrome with with *two* tabs + the task manager => apps are cached and refreshed if needed (and the phone **still** has ~300Mo of free RAM!!!)

I feel like the hardware of the Moto G is exactly what I need.
So do you think that this behaviour is due to a specific issue of my Moto 4G or it will be the same with any other one.
At the moment I think the problem comes from Android. But since the phone is praised everywhere on the internet I don't understand.

I feel like Google completely screwed up their last release of android (It is another problem but they probably destroyed the battery of my Nexus 4 with Kitkat).
I can't understand why a phone like this shouldn't be capable of real multitasking.
Depending on your answers I'll sent back my Moto 4G or not!

Thank you for your help.
21st August 2014, 03:49 PM   |  #2  
Flag Kolkata
Thanks Meter: 233

407 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plouffr

I bought a Moto 4G few days ago and I feel like it has a strange behaviour.
My problem is that the phone is not handling multitasking as I would expect it to.

Some examples:

- I use Chrome as web browser. Each time I switch between tabs, the tabs are refreshed.
So if I am writing something in a form and need to check something in a other tab, then when I'll come back to the form the text I typed is lost with the refresh.

- I have the same problem with forms inside apps. I wanted to sell something using a classified ads app. And I experienced the same. I switched on chrome to check the spec.
When I switched back to my ad, the app completely restarted!

- I don't play often but I tried to see what the phone is capable of. I tried with Plants VS Zombies. And it is the same. If I switched back and forth the game will restart.

To sum up, I feel like the multitasking on my Moto G is only remembering the list of apps in use and restart them when needed!

I read that this may be due to a lack of RAM (the Moto G has 1Go of RAM). But I never experienced that with an old Galaxy S with Cyanogen ICS (512Mo RAM), nor with a more recent Nexus 4 with KitKat or older releases (2Go of RAM).

So I just made few tests:

- The classified ads app + chrome with with *one* tab + the task manager => no problem when switching (and the phone has ~300Mo of free RAM)
- The classified ads app + chrome with with *two* tabs + the task manager => apps are cached and refreshed if needed (and the phone has ~300Mo of free RAM)
- A game + the classified ads app + chrome with with *two* tabs + the task manager => apps are cached and refreshed if needed (and the phone **still** has ~300Mo of free RAM!!!)

I feel like the hardware of the Moto G is exactly what I need.
So do you think that this behaviour is due to a specific issue of my Moto 4G or it will be the same with any other one.
At the moment I think the problem comes from Android. But since the phone is praised everywhere on the internet I don't understand.

I feel like Google completely screwed up their last release of android (It is another problem but they probably destroyed the battery of my Nexus 4 with Kitkat).
I can't understand why a phone like this shouldn't be capable of real multitasking.
Depending on your answers I'll sent back my Moto 4G or not!

Thank you for your help.

this problem might be in chrome browser as I face same issue in moto e.
Do you have a lot of apps already installed?
as they eat ram even if you don't open them.
The Following User Says Thank You to @SidDev For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st August 2014, 07:40 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
I think the problem is both with apps and the android itself.
I noticed that some apps use a lot of RAM (Facebook 50Mo on idle WTF?!), and almost no matter what I do (I stopped a lot of RAM consuming apps) chrome is cached. That is why I think that android should be able to understand that when you are writting something in a form you can't cache the apps unless it is absolutely mandatory...

What I don't understand is the fact that I don't feel like I am a heavy user of smartphone. It just the classics:
Gmail + Outlook, Facebook + Messenger, Chrome, GMaps mainly.
And this kind of usage is absolutely seemless on Nexus 4, was also seemless on the Galaxy S (that was a second hand one!).
On the Moto G it is not seemless. That is why I am puzzled.

No other users face these kind of problems?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread