Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Should I use a non-motorola wall charger ?

OP ZareliMan

18th August 2014, 06:35 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 27

194 posts
Hi,

My Moto G came with a 500mAh wall charger but this device is supposed to charge up to 1500mAh.
So I decided to switch it with some other charger I had here at home.
I found a 700mAh ZTE charger (no data cable) and a 850mAh Sony charger (removable USB data cable).
The ZTE one works wonders.
The Sony on the other hand makes the touchscreen go crazy, it doesn't report the correct commands.
This really surprised me because the Sony charger came with an Xperia phone and seems much higher quality than the ZTE or the stock Moto ones. Maybe the data cable is a factor as well.
Still, when using the Sony cable for USB data, it doesn't mess with the phone at all which makes this even more weird.
I've also used a Car adapter charger with a nokia cable without issues.

After that I'm worried that non-moto chargers may damage my device in the long run.

I don't want to use the stock 500mAh charger since it is too slow, I could try to buy an original Moto G high power charger but I'd rather not since I have to ship it to my country. I can probably get a high power charger from another brand in a retail store here, but I don't know if I'm going to have touchscreen issues or worse, damage my device.

Any suggestions or compatible wall chargers ?
18th August 2014, 09:32 AM   |  #2  
Flag Porto
Thanks Meter: 1

14 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZareliMan

Hi,

My Moto G came with a 500mAh wall charger but this device is supposed to charge up to 1500mAh.
I found a 700mAh ZTE charger (no data cable) and a 850mAh Sony charger (removable USB data cable).
The Sony on the other hand makes the touchscreen go crazy, it doesn't report the correct commands.
This really surprised me because the Sony charger came with an Xperia phone and seems much higher quality than the ZTE or the stock Moto ones. Maybe the data cable is a factor as well.
Still, when using the Sony cable for USB data, it doesn't mess with the phone at all which makes this even more weird.

After that I'm worried that non-moto chargers may damage my device in the long run.

I don't want to use the stock 500mAh charger since it is too slow, I could try to buy an original Moto G high power charger but I'd rather not since I have to ship it to my country. I can probably get a high power charger from another brand in a retail store here, but I don't know if I'm going to have touchscreen issues or worse, damage my device.

Any charger that doesn't surpass the Amperage limit Motorola imposed should do the job. The higher the value, the faster it charges.
18th August 2014, 01:04 PM   |  #3  
Flag Ahmedabad
Thanks Meter: 37

122 posts
More
Quote:

Hi,

I am using below one from past 2 months for my XT1033. It has 1300mAH power. No issues so far.

http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00D...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The Following User Says Thank You to mchauhan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th August 2014, 11:51 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 27

194 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogomsb

Any charger that doesn't surpass the Amperage limit Motorola imposed should do the job. The higher the value, the faster it charges.

But my issue is that some chargers will mess with the touchscreen (and who knows what else). I've read that the moto Razr also had this issue and some users said that it would damage the device.
19th August 2014, 08:11 AM   |  #5  
Flag Porto
Thanks Meter: 1

14 posts
More
Quote:

But my issue is that some chargers will mess with the touchscreen (and who knows what else). I've read that the moto Razr also had this issue and some users said that it would damage the device.

Use your ZTE charger, then. You said it works wonders, so no need to use the Sony if it causes some weird actions
19th August 2014, 08:17 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 0

11 posts
Quote:

If I haven't had this exact thing happen to me, I wouldn't believe you since it shouldn't happen. But on my old HTC Sensation, if I used an old off-brand iPod charger I got off Newegg years back combined with my Kindle USB cable, it would happen. Any other combination of cables or chargers were fine. Even then I would just make sure to turn off the screen immediately after plugging it in and it charged perfectly fine. Usually (99% of the time) you won't run into this issue. Just plug it in and it should be ok.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread