Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,579 Members 43,689 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Should I use a non-motorola wall charger ?

Tip us?
 
ZareliMan
Old
#1  
ZareliMan's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Posts: 139
Join Date: Sep 2013
Default [Q] Should I use a non-motorola wall charger ?

Hi,

My Moto G came with a 500mAh wall charger but this device is supposed to charge up to 1500mAh.
So I decided to switch it with some other charger I had here at home.
I found a 700mAh ZTE charger (no data cable) and a 850mAh Sony charger (removable USB data cable).
The ZTE one works wonders.
The Sony on the other hand makes the touchscreen go crazy, it doesn't report the correct commands.
This really surprised me because the Sony charger came with an Xperia phone and seems much higher quality than the ZTE or the stock Moto ones. Maybe the data cable is a factor as well.
Still, when using the Sony cable for USB data, it doesn't mess with the phone at all which makes this even more weird.
I've also used a Car adapter charger with a nokia cable without issues.

After that I'm worried that non-moto chargers may damage my device in the long run.

I don't want to use the stock 500mAh charger since it is too slow, I could try to buy an original Moto G high power charger but I'd rather not since I have to ship it to my country. I can probably get a high power charger from another brand in a retail store here, but I don't know if I'm going to have touchscreen issues or worse, damage my device.

Any suggestions or compatible wall chargers ?
 
Diogomsb
Old
#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 14
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Porto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZareliMan View Post
Hi,

My Moto G came with a 500mAh wall charger but this device is supposed to charge up to 1500mAh.
So I decided to switch it with some other charger I had here at home.
I found a 700mAh ZTE charger (no data cable) and a 850mAh Sony charger (removable USB data cable).
The ZTE one works wonders.
The Sony on the other hand makes the touchscreen go crazy, it doesn't report the correct commands.
This really surprised me because the Sony charger came with an Xperia phone and seems much higher quality than the ZTE or the stock Moto ones. Maybe the data cable is a factor as well.
Still, when using the Sony cable for USB data, it doesn't mess with the phone at all which makes this even more weird.
I've also used a Car adapter charger with a nokia cable without issues.

After that I'm worried that non-moto chargers may damage my device in the long run.

I don't want to use the stock 500mAh charger since it is too slow, I could try to buy an original Moto G high power charger but I'd rather not since I have to ship it to my country. I can probably get a high power charger from another brand in a retail store here, but I don't know if I'm going to have touchscreen issues or worse, damage my device.

Any suggestions or compatible wall chargers ?
Any charger that doesn't surpass the Amperage limit Motorola imposed should do the job. The higher the value, the faster it charges.
 
mchauhan
Old
#3  
mchauhan's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 85
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ahmedabad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZareliMan View Post
Hi,

My Moto G came with a 500mAh wall charger but this device is supposed to charge up to 1500mAh.
So I decided to switch it with some other charger I had here at home.
I found a 700mAh ZTE charger (no data cable) and a 850mAh Sony charger (removable USB data cable).
The ZTE one works wonders.
The Sony on the other hand makes the touchscreen go crazy, it doesn't report the correct commands.
This really surprised me because the Sony charger came with an Xperia phone and seems much higher quality than the ZTE or the stock Moto ones. Maybe the data cable is a factor as well.
Still, when using the Sony cable for USB data, it doesn't mess with the phone at all which makes this even more weird.
I've also used a Car adapter charger with a nokia cable without issues.

After that I'm worried that non-moto chargers may damage my device in the long run.

I don't want to use the stock 500mAh charger since it is too slow, I could try to buy an original Moto G high power charger but I'd rather not since I have to ship it to my country. I can probably get a high power charger from another brand in a retail store here, but I don't know if I'm going to have touchscreen issues or worse, damage my device.

Any suggestions or compatible wall chargers ?
I am using below one from past 2 months for my XT1033. It has 1300mAH power. No issues so far.

http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00D...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Please Press Thanks If I Helped You..
The Following User Says Thank You to mchauhan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
ZareliMan
Old
#4  
ZareliMan's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Posts: 139
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogomsb View Post
Any charger that doesn't surpass the Amperage limit Motorola imposed should do the job. The higher the value, the faster it charges.
But my issue is that some chargers will mess with the touchscreen (and who knows what else). I've read that the moto Razr also had this issue and some users said that it would damage the device.
 
Diogomsb
Old
#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 14
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Porto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZareliMan View Post
But my issue is that some chargers will mess with the touchscreen (and who knows what else). I've read that the moto Razr also had this issue and some users said that it would damage the device.
Use your ZTE charger, then. You said it works wonders, so no need to use the Sony if it causes some weird actions
 
ryanstein
Old
#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZareliMan View Post
But my issue is that some chargers will mess with the touchscreen (and who knows what else). I've read that the moto Razr also had this issue and some users said that it would damage the device.
If I haven't had this exact thing happen to me, I wouldn't believe you since it shouldn't happen. But on my old HTC Sensation, if I used an old off-brand iPod charger I got off Newegg years back combined with my Kindle USB cable, it would happen. Any other combination of cables or chargers were fine. Even then I would just make sure to turn off the screen immediately after plugging it in and it charged perfectly fine. Usually (99% of the time) you won't run into this issue. Just plug it in and it should be ok.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Sony PS4 Remote Play Ported to All Android Devices

Im pretty sure that every informed gamer out there perked their ears up when Sony came out … more

Change Your Samsung Galaxy S2’s Dialer Background in Real Time

As with anything, if youve looked at something long enough, things can … more

Increase Your Multitasking Workflow with C-Floating Windows

Technology has put life on the fast track. Lazy, relaxed days have turned into … more

Compile Your Own Kernel From Source with Comprehensive Tutorial

One glance at any developer section of any device forum on XDA and youll find … more