Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,576 Members 43,625 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Noob questions abaut kernels and ROMs

Tip us?

neucoas
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Question [Q] Noob questions abaut kernels and ROMs

Hi everyone! First of all, sorry for my english.

My question is very simple. I am going to flash Aero Kernel into my Moto G xt1034.

In case something goes wrong or i want to go back to stock kernel, does reflash the rom via fastboot replaces the kernel? I mean, Aero Kernel is ereased and replaced by the stock kernel?

Thank you very much in advance!

Rhyn
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Yep, boot.img is your kernel, so you need to flash that at least. But, I think aero is replacing your kernel modules too (eg the WiFi driver), so you need to flash the system image too. Or backup the original modules from the /system/lib/modules directory.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rhyn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

neucoas
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyn View Post
Yep, boot.img is your kernel, so you need to flash that at least. But, I think aero is replacing your kernel modules too (eg the WiFi driver), so you need to flash the system image too. Or backup the original modules from the /system/lib/modules directory.
Thank you. Does flashing stock Rom replaces those modules ?

Rhyn
Old
(Last edited by Rhyn; 15th August 2014 at 04:59 PM.)
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by neucoas View Post
Thank you. Does flashing stock Rom replaces those modules ?
If you mean by flashing is fastboot flash etc, then yes. The system.sparesechunk.0-3 files contains your full system partition including the kernel modules. But if you do a cwm backup from your stock system partition before flashing aero and flash that back, that will work too.

Edit: if you just do a backup from /system/lib/modules directory, you should include /system/lib/hw/power.msm8226.so too, hence aero installer also deletes that too.

Usually if you uncertain what a flashable zip do, you can always examine the META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script file. Thats the installer, you can open it with a simple text editor. Usually not too hard to understand, its quite a simple language.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rhyn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

neucoas
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyn View Post
If you mean by flashing is fastboot flash etc, then yes. The system.sparesechunk.0-3 files contains your full system partition including the kernel modules. But if you do a cwm backup from your stock system partition before flashing aero and flash that back, that will work too.

Edit: if you just do a backup from /system/lib/modules directory, you should include /system/lib/hw/power.msm8226.so too, hence aero installer also deletes that too.

Usually if you uncertain what a flashable zip do, you can always examine the META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script file. Thats the installer, you can open it with a simple text editor. Usually not too hard to understand, its quite a simple language.
Thank you very much!