Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,656 Members 52,324 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Did you unlock your bootloader and thereby lose your U.S. warranty?
Yes - I couldn't live without root! 6 50.00%
No - the warranty is more important than unlocking 1 8.33%
I haven't decided yet - maybe I will later 5 41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

[Q] Poll: Did you request an unlock code for your Moto G or keep your U.S. warranty?

Tip us?
 
yaconsult
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 23
Join Date: Nov 2013
Default [Q] Poll: Did you request an unlock code for your Moto G or keep your U.S. warranty?

In the U.S. the Motorola warranty coverage ends when you request an unlock code.

I have rooted a couple of previous phones, but in those cases there were exploits available to unlock the bootloaders on those phones so it did not affect the warranty status.

I guess this is a smart way for Motorola to do it - allowing people to easily unlock their bootloaders takes away most of the incentive for finding an exploit.

Still, if the phone develops a hardware problem that exists even after returning the phone to stock - shouldn't that still be covered by the warranty? I guess from Motorola's point of view, the user who unlocked the phone may have messed it up and Motorola shouldn't be responsible.

I bought my phone using a credit card that doubles my warranty up to an extra year so, in theory, I have two years of warranty. I suspect that the majority of phone failures are due to dropping the phone which would never be covered under warranty anyway. Square Trade insurance backs this up, at least for insured phones: "We next drilled down into the two main reported causes of accidents, drops and spills. Unsurprisingly, drops are responsible for most accidents 77% to be precise"

I have seen threads where people sent money to a "Chinese middleman" in order to get an unlock code but I wonder - how do they know that the guy isn't just requesting the unlock codes from Motorola and violating their warranties at the same time? They wouldn't know unless they made a warranty claim, would they? Is there a way people can check on the Motorola site?

The stock experience on the Moto G is very good as are the updates - I currently have 4.4.3 and am hoping for 4.4.4 soon. And it seems to have been reported that we will even get android L when it comes out. From my forum reading, I get the impression that most people unlock and root their Moto G to be able to run xposed and make small tweaks to their phone. Which did you choose - warranty or root?
 
NWKENT
Old
#2  
NWKENT's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 473
Posts: 1,057
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaconsult View Post
In the U.S. the Motorola warranty coverage ends when you request an unlock code.

I have rooted a couple of previous phones, but in those cases there were exploits available to unlock the bootloaders on those phones so it did not affect the warranty status.

I guess this is a smart way for Motorola to do it - allowing people to easily unlock their bootloaders takes away most of the incentive for finding an exploit.

Still, if the phone develops a hardware problem that exists even after returning the phone to stock - shouldn't that still be covered by the warranty? I guess from Motorola's point of view, the user who unlocked the phone may have messed it up and Motorola shouldn't be responsible.

I bought my phone using a credit card that doubles my warranty up to an extra year so, in theory, I have two years of warranty. I suspect that the majority of phone failures are due to dropping the phone which would never be covered under warranty anyway. Square Trade insurance backs this up, at least for insured phones: "We next drilled down into the two main reported causes of accidents, drops and spills. Unsurprisingly, drops are responsible for most accidents 77% to be precise"

I have seen threads where people sent money to a "Chinese middleman" in order to get an unlock code but I wonder - how do they know that the guy isn't just requesting the unlock codes from Motorola and violating their warranties at the same time? They wouldn't know unless they made a warranty claim, would they? Is there a way people can check on the Motorola site?

The stock experience on the Moto G is very good as are the updates - I currently have 4.4.3 and am hoping for 4.4.4 soon. And it seems to have been reported that we will even get android L when it comes out. From my forum reading, I get the impression that most people unlock and root their Moto G to be able to run xposed and make small tweaks to their phone. Which did you choose - warranty or root?
Sir..you may also mention, that once the bootloader is unlocked, there is a permanent code written to the bootloader..and warranty is voided with this method..if one is to "relock" the device..this permanent code remains..

And it probably is possible for Motorola to trace an unlocked device with the IMEI..

Simply put..if one is concerned about warranty..don't unlock until warranty has expired..otherwise..unlock and void the warranty..

To unlock the bootloader of a Developer Edition does NOT void the warranty..

Sent from my:
4.4.4_21.11.21 (Unlocked)
XT1080M Droid Maxx #2
http://waynekent.com/page6.html
"Praise Jah" YOU people.!
 
yaconsult
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 23
Join Date: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWKENT View Post
Sir..you may also mention, that once the bootloader is unlocked, there is a permanent code written to the bootloader..and warranty is voided with this method..if one is to "relock" the device..this permanent code remains..

And it probably is possible for Motorola to trace an unlocked device with the IMEI..

Simply put..if one is concerned about warranty..don't unlock until warranty has expired..otherwise..unlock and void the warranty..

To unlock the bootloader of a Developer Edition does NOT void the warranty..
Thank you for the clarification. I guess the people who are paying the "Chinese middleman" may still be screwed even if they return the phone to stock and try to get warranty service. And, as I said, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the guy was just doing a free unlock via motorola and charging people for it. Yet, this guy claims that he got a working unlock code for a verizon moto g from him for $45: http://swappa.com/listing/TND932/moto-g-verizon But I agree with you that this method would not preserve the warranty. And, clearly, unlocking your bootloader via motorola will mark the phone's unique identifier as being out of warranty. But not if you're lucky enough to live in Europe as I guess they get better legal rights on warranty than we do!

Unfortunately, there does not yet seem to be a Developer Edition of the Moto G LTE model.

Hence, my survey - how many people chose to give up their warranty in return for root on their Moto G?
 
Kheops14
Old
#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 1
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaconsult View Post
Hence, my survey - how many people chose to give up their warranty in return for root on their Moto G?
For the moment I've chosen to keep my warranty even if I really want the root for my Moto G LTE.

I just hope that in a few weeks / months there will be a way to root the phone without unlock the bootloader.
Tags
root, unlock, warranty
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes